FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it easy to fly with the Ritewing Zephyr

Forum Member

is it easy to fly with the Ritewing Zephyr

Hi,

I fly with Easystar. Is it more easy or not to fly with an Ritewing Zephyr ?

Thank you,

Forum Member
    I think if you are trying to fly your Easystar WITH your Zephyr you may run into problems because the Zephyr doesn't have thumbs and therefore can't move the little sticks on your transmitter.

However, if your question is whether the Zephyr is harder to fly than the Easystar, the answer is almost certainly yes, mainly because the launch is so difficult. But people learn, and you could too.
    About to maiden my Fascination...

Forum Member
    an easystar is 1 step above a paper aeroplane.

a zephyr is a few more.

you need to be confident on ailerons for a start, and you need to be confident at high speeds. flying and landing. it also requires some technique for launching. having said that the zephyr was my 2nd plane and have been in rc for under 12 months. i have never crashed it (hard enough to break anything) and am more than comfortable flying it in any wind.

it is such a resilient design you will struggle to do serious damage to it no matter what you do.

Forum Member
    once you get past taking off and landing it, it's easy as pie to fly. I've had people do proximity flying after no more than 30 seconds of R/C experience (with my wing ... never been that nervous!! ). taking off is a matter of a strong launching arm, landing is a matter of getting a feel for the energy retention of the wing.

Trappy usually lands it by flying it into himself.

It really is "relative". People ask me is playing bass "easy" - for ME it is, but there are things I do on bass that even other bassists can't. You have to be either pre-disposed to it, or work very hard at certain things.

So "easy" depends on a lot - for example, your landing ability. You can "always" launch an RC plane - but having room to land it is dependant on your skillset. Some people just need more room, some can spot land in tight quarters like the video below. Also, landing a wing in a crosswind w/ no rudder is not for everyone - especially if the landing site will not allow you for lining up w/ the wind - in this case you literaly "fly the plane into the ground" although it's not as harsh as it sounds - in fact, it's a recomendation that I make (especially being a full-scale guy). Another thing - my 60" wing is a floater --- if I push the nose down during landing to get closer to the ground, the trade-off is that usually picks up speed - and the newfound speed NOW could increase my glide. (this is what Trappy is describing by burning off energy). Just practice in a big field --- and set markers in that field where you "want" to land and try to hit it. if you miss it in the big field, no biggy - it's just a marker and you have plenty of "actual" field to cover your mistakes. This way you develop short-field approaches. SHORT FIELD APPROACHES IS A MANDATORY SKILLSET FOR FPV in my opinion. It opens up the places that you can actually FPV if you know that you can dive straight down over an obstacle and plug the landing in 1 shot. There was NO chance at a go-around on the video from my flight below. You have to process info very quickly and make it work the first time around.

Are you able to fly your EZ* aerobatically? How are your reflexes? Are you able to toss a heavy(ier) plane and still get down to the sticks QUICKLY, w/out accidentally bumping the tx, and w/out overcorrecting once you get to the sticks? There is a lot to consider. My opinion would be to get a smaller wing (like the Stinger - it's circa $50) to get your skills up - this is how you slowl develop your talent and grow into what's reportedly one of the most rewarding planes to fly. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by SENTRY; 20th September 2011 at 12:30 PM.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Forum Member
    Sentry is right, it is impossible to say. I feel like wings are a little easier to fly as I feel like I have more authority over the flight. I had to 'learn' the easy star as it really has to be led like a puppy on a leash, you cant force it too hard, just kind of guide it around IMO. Wings are more like flying a missle, point and GO. Just dont mess up too low to the ground...

Forum Member
    -An easy star is a lot easier to recover from a stall than a zephyr.
    -An easystar is a lot easier to launch than the zephyr.
    -The zephyr is a fast plane, and relatively speaking, cannot go slow compared to the easystar.
    -The zephyr flies according to your inputs only, rather than the easy star being thrown by a small breeze blowing.
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

Forum Member
    You guys are killing me... Im sitting here waiting for my damn batteries to clear customs and get here. I want to fly my Zeph!
    [COLOR=red]FPV is not a crime![/COLOR]

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Forum Member
    I had an easy star and couldn't stand it. Not sure why it is so ubiquitous in the fpv community. I threw my stuff on a stryker and love it. If you have a big field and good equipment you are going to have more fun with a wing - even a shitty one like the stryker

Forum Member
    stryker is NOT a shitty wing!!!

I love its flight characteristics, and its really stable for a tiny plane.
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast