FPVLAB

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New motor-mount concept. The Boom-prop!

Co-Pilot
    hmmm now the counter rotator....

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
    The thru-runner - that is what I want for powered gliders. The techpod would like this. Get the prop out of the view and allow any size prop. You can control thrust angle by making a tilted mount so I think that works but you can also put the boom line so as to intersect the CG. I like the solution of the belt drive, that is what I was missing when I was thinking along these lines. One thing to consider for CG purposes is that the motor doesn't need to be co-located with the belt drive, a CF or aluminum shaft would work (I've wondered if if a shaft would help CG on wings).
    Thanks for the feedback The nice thing about the boom-prop is that for most planes, you can easily adjust your CG by simply sliding the boom-prop further up-or-down the boom to accommodate for less or more nose weight; You kind of use it as a counter-balance.

Now I think about it, with my glider build above, you could do something pretty unique too...

You could clamp the boom-prop in front of the wings (in a conventional glider style), but then still have all your camera equipment on the nose in front of that - this would probably be the most efficient. There would be no prop in view of the camera and no wind from the prop blasting your mic either.

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallJ View Post
    hmmm now the counter rotator....
    Absolutely!

Either one behind another, or one at the front of the plane and one in the middle. The only thing is, I'm not aware of any counter-rotating folding prop blades?

I've built a similar concept. Just not the belt drive. I had a motor stator drilled out to 10mm, put a CF tube through, mounted bearings either end and had the bell rotate with a custom spinner attached. This contraption didn't slide though, but is a bit simpler to implement. Nice idea though Ian
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    Sentry stop posting all my design pictures,lol!!!
    Woops. LOL.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
    I've built a similar concept. Just not the belt drive. I had a motor stator drilled out to 10mm, put a CF tube through, mounted bearings either end and had the bell rotate with a custom spinner attached. This contraption didn't slide though, but is a bit simpler to implement. Nice idea though Ian
    Thank you!

It's odd, because I Google'd and YouTube'd - YouTube'd and Google'd - but I couldn't find a single example of it being done before. Of even much talk of it. The only reason I can think must be because until quite recently, we' haven't had the luxury of very strong, light, narrow booms.

It really does work well though - far better than I had expected. Having something spinning around a long (in my case 1500mm) boom I feared there would be horrific vibrations, but nope, nothing. It's important to balance the hub/spinner and props (on a blade balancer) first, but this is just normal good practice anyway.

It can accommodate motors up to 35mm in diameter - you just need to pick your kv in the knowledge it'll be reduced 2:1.

Now it's designed (and there were a few iterations), I can honestly churn them out for less than the price of the Aeronaut folding props. I just hit the print button and go and have lunch.
    Last edited by Ian Davidson; 13th May 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Penguin flyerDisco buildr mike20sm's Avatar
    Great stuff, and an added benefit of getting the prop further away from the wing is that it will be quieter too.

Love it! Can we see the rest of your glider?
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Amazing,

Could adapt two in Skyhunter boom? And flow incidence, maybe works??

Way too cool Any chance of putting some up for sale? Or provide us with the plans so us mere mortals could send it in to Shapeways?

Brooks, N7BLD

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast