FPVLAB

Thread: New double stacked dipole antenna looks very promising

Forum Member

Exclamation New double stacked dipole antenna looks very promising

Guys I have been testing with the IBCRAZY turnstile in the past few days.
    My need was (is) to have a decent gain in a CP omni, for both uhf and video.
    I have used a 1/4 wave matching stub to stack two dipoles at 1/4 wavelength distance. Needless to say this antenna can be buried in a wing with horizontal polarization if side fed, and it can be also buried in a zephir wing if set with vertical polarization which I prefer, as the antenna is showing a 2.12db gain.

My tests so far are ground based and it beats the hell out of the vertical whip on the fatshark 100mw transmitter.

In fact with a stock whip on 2.4 on the tx and a stock whip on the fatshark gogles, I would leave the video transmitter and cam in the attic (all brick and cement walls with steel ), and walking down the stairs I'd get some disturbances already, then on the middle floor I'd have picture intermittently, as I moved my head around, I'd continue to the bottom floor and picture would degrade even further, with only occasional locks in certain positions of the head.

I put the double stacked antenna on and I had perfect picture all the way through the three floors.

Outside picture is perfect up to 2KM. with stock whip on the fatshark.

I don't know if I've been lucky, but something I did with this is def. right.

If there are any more beta testers out there, please let me know if you try it what the quality is like.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double stacked dipoles.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	3120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double stacked dipole 2.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	3121

Forum Member
    Do you have instructions on how to build this? I would like to maybe try it for a 5.8g 200mw system. I currently have self-made SPW an CL on it, but am only getting about 1km out of it in the air, and I'm looking to try another omni option before trying a helical on the ground.

Forum Member
    I can come up with instructions, even though it's very simple, just make a normal dipole for your frequency and solder it, measure the length, for 5.8g it's 24mm tip to tip.
    Than you make another dipole identical to it, and solder a small piece of coax (possibly 75ohm) cut the coax to 1/4 wavelength, which is about 6mm for your frequency, and solder the ground to the ground of the other dipole, and the feed to the feed of the other dipole at 90 to it.
    At your frequency it's a bit difficult to match the 1/4 wave stub, but that's why we have many channels!

Forum Member
    this is 1 db more than your cloverleaf, if the antenna works well you should be able to go 1.2km from the extra db.
    Keep your cables short.

And if you use a SWP on the reciever, I would try with a standard whip on the receiver first.

Forum Member
    The first test of the antenna is in. A friend of mine built one and tested it, but results are not entirely satisfying. I will have to change the matching solution with 2 stubs of 75 ohm cable for each of the dipoles, set at 1/4 wave apart from each other, all feeding from a 50ohm line.
    Hopefully I will have a better match.
    My friend was experiencing multipath problems and also video got bad when banking left with the motor on.
    10,000 ft, 3km was reached but the quality is not as I expected.
    Gotta go back and do my homework. I am waiting for swr/power meter so I can tune an antenna and send it to a few people for testing.