FPVLAB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 62" Zephyr look-alike build log

Forum Member

62" Zephyr look-alike build log

Tonight I started the build of a 62" flying wing, with large chords , 30 sweep,
    it has 51cm root chord, and 30cm tip cord.

The planform looks similar to a Zephyr, from the few pictures I have seen of it.

I hope tought to come in lighter as it's just extruded foam, very light indeed.

I will use fiberglass rods and cross-weave fiber tape to stiffen it before I will cover it with packing tape and white glue (a rc combat techique).

I will then cover it with cheap HobbyKing covering film.

The motor will be wild, as I have a 1900kv scorpion capable of 1.2KW that will go on the plane. I will use a 8x6 prop on 3s, good for 600-700watt.

If the plane comes in as light as I think it will , it should be a performer, especially with climbing rate.

I forgot to mention the airfoil, it's Sipkill airfoil 10.0/1.7 with 3 degrees of washout at the tips.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sagitta.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	3024

The nice thing about it is that it can be built with 10€ worth of materials including ailerons and covering material.

Forum Member
    Subscribing, should be neat to see. this foam is what is typically called styrofoam? i.e. it is sort of brittle?

Forum Member

Subscribed, i would imagine a covering and it should be indestructible.
    youtube.com/nue3nthlapy vimeo.com/enthlapy

Forum Member
    No quite the opposite, it will crack under the covering. Make sure you put lots of CF rods so that even though it cracks it still holds under the covering.
    [COLOR=red]FPV is not a crime![/COLOR]

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Forum Member
    Well with the packing paper+white glue method I doubt it will crack. It's an incredible way to keep it togetherck.
    It's a very well proven system in Europe to make combat airplanes. The thick brown packing paper becomes as hard as wood. It can be doubled up too for extra strength. No more Flip-Flop from your wings.
    I shall document the procedure here. It's quite simple, cheap , yet effective.

Forum Member
    I shall document the procedure here.
    Yes, please.

Forum Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosemary3.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	3052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosemary5.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	3053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoseMary.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	3054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosemary2.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	3051
    Ok,
    I had only 1.5 hours to work on it today so all I did was cutting the templates with my cnc router, than cutting the cores, glueing the wing halves together, and putting some light speckling to fill some ripples I had in the right wing.
    Unfortunately I didn't have enough material to cut the templates, so that left a small empty spot at the top of my large root template. I filled it up with resin and wood but didn't give it enough time to really harden enough so the hot wire got cought a little.
    The ripple though is not deep, very manageable with light speckling.
    Tomorrow I will sand it perfectly then glue fiberglass spars (no carbon) and route out the channels for my cables.
    I will also do some extensive reinforcing with cross weave fiber tape and if I still have time, do the packing paper job.
    Last edited by Marcantonio; 16th September 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
    Subscribing, should be neat to see. this foam is what is typically called styrofoam? i.e. it is sort of brittle?
    Yes, this is the cheap and vulgar Styrofoam.
    Nowadays it seems like EPP is the must-have material for flying wings, but before EPP - 17 years ago, I remember making some pretty indestructable wings with Polistirene foam and 100% surface covered with fiber tape, than using ultrakote iron-on covering to pretty it up. They would bounce and bend with minimal damage, and didn't require all the carbon needed for EPP. That's because EPP is way too bendy and it will bend in flight if not properly stiffened.
    Other types of foams have other properties. Styrofoam, like the one I am using, is extremely light, and even if it's brittle it holds its shape in flight more than epp. It's the material of choice to be covered with a hard shell, like balsa wood or for the cheap guys like me, it would be packing paper and white glue. This combination makes for a very light internal material that has some structural properties, kept together and safe by the hard and stiff material acting as a exoskeleton. A few runs of wide cross-weave fiber tape along the leading edge, and from tip to tip, top and bottom, and at the center, top and bottom will protect against dings and occasional light crashes.
    The advantages are more payload carrying capabilities, due to the lower weight, better motor off performance, and more precise handling because of the stiffness afforded by the exoskeleton. Other side benefits are much lower cost , about 1/20 of EPP foam, and availability world-wide.
    The only disadvantage I see is that it's not quite crash-proof as EPP, but it's definitely explosion-proof.

I have owned my share of EPP combat wings, and after they get a lot of not-so-gentle Bank-And-Yank type of flying, one day they just decide to explode.
    Maybe today's laminate material will hold it together a bit longer, but repeated crashes etc, will make it always more bendy. I think that if you just have a few rough landings, any foam will work well, if built properly, but if you stuff it nose first into Mother Earth at 100mph, weather you have EPP or not, the plane will be lost.

Forum Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	3100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoseMary6.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	3099Ok, today I didn't have time to do much work on the plane, but I was able to cut out the main spar channel. I used the fiberglass spar from an old funjet. I will also use 4mm fiberglass rods for the outer wing section.
    What I also did was cut a 12x8 folding propeller to 8x8 and reshape and rebalance.
    This scorpion motor is a whopping 1900kv.....

Forum Member
    wow this looks awesome!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast