Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your 5v camera

I don't see it as punishing a pack. Lipos "learn". Fly a pack to 11v a hundred times - and then take the long way home from work one day and need it to go to 9. The conditioning is just not gonna be there and the volts will fall very fast. I'm happy with "flying" my packs down on the bench. You don't learn how quickly the drop in voltage is from xVolts to xVolts w/ a regulator. You only learn at what voltage which component will drop. You also don't learn how quickly the pack bounces back when you kill the throttle w/ the regulator. A controlled test on the bench with the actual packs you plan on taking long range is the only way to know (in my mind). I've only done this twice with my D~Zee but I will def be doing it with the new wing before I stretch her legs.

Another prob with the buck is that vOUT must be greater than vIN. So in my scenario - where everything is on 5v but powered at 12v it's really uneccessary.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    Sweet! Thanks for the info! I keep forgetting that the BEC gives off 5v!

The vtx and camera only take a fraction of the BEC's output and I only have 3 servos, 2 are 4.7 grams so I should be ok. Should I tap in parallel to the BEC line or should I use an empty spot on my RX for the power? I will use an LC filter inline as well.
    I'm unfamiliar w/ your ESC. So it may or may not be able to handle it. But here is the BEC I used on the Gunfighter: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=124 - output is 5v or 6v.

Here is a 5v mic Volto : http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=52

The BEC on my ESC is 2amps. Is it best to tap into a free RX port or to tap in parallel to the BEC power lines?

The proper answer is to tell you to get the external BEC. I hate recommending things that could cause others to lose their planes. The BEC is quiet - cheap. The rx route could have you where you need a power filter anyway and introduce noise into your video. That is the PROFESSIONAL FPV'rs answer. LOL.

However....

VJ, yes, you can pull right off the RX. There may be some noise on that line depending on the servos ans esc, so a filter might be necessary (but BECs alone can be noisy, too). And like Sentry says, a bec might be a little safer but, but I am using this approach on planes that are really cheap and really dont matter (and have only 2 servos like wings) and on a multirotor that has no servos at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    that one really has my attention. It looks lightweight, and that video looks good.

Here is a night video, but looks a little out of focus...

Light handling looks poor though in this video, especially at takeoff and landing...

but much better here, although it is a really sunny day...

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a cheapass, that is a bit expensive for a mic.

This is more like it, but I am gonna try an old computer mic first
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-Soun...-/270777427890

It's also a little cheaper directly from dpcav http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...9&cat=0&page=1
    Last edited by volto; 14th September 2011 at 06:17 PM.
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

^ Yeah - I was just letting you know that there are out there and have a variable input voltage. I don't use audio on the planes - they tend to take a TAD bit of clarity from the video.

Derek - that cam should be fine - doesn't look too bad for the price. If you plan to have an HD cam on board go for it. If it's the only source of video though might wanna increase the budget and get something better.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast