FPVLAB

Thread: Another Bixler 2 Build Thread - Okay Planning a build thread

Navigator

Another Bixler 2 Build Thread - Okay Planning a build thread

So Iíve not flown for Ö well, a long time. I want to get into the FPV fun and decided to build a slow flyer (longer duration) with an upgradable radio that will support long range flying eventually. All the following is based on lots and lots of reading! My intent is to build a Bixler 2 using a 9XR transmitter and 2.4GHz module. Iíll upgrade the from the basic Bixler servos and motor/prop combo based on all the reading Iíve done here on FPVLAB plus add a carbon fiber strut and body/tail boom reinforcements and laminating film on the wings. Iíll fly that until my LOS flying is back up to snuff, and then add in a VTx/VRx system and Fat Shark Dominator goggles. Once I can start getting out to a reasonable range, Iíll upgrade the Transmitter module for Long Range flying (5.8GHz).

What Iíd like to do is post my basic setup and follow-on additions for comments, recommendations or ridicule.

Airframe BasicSetup:
    Bixler 2 Kit
    Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3536-1400kv Brushless Outrunner Motor (8x6 prop) (slower flight and longer duration)
    Optional Motor Choice - D2826-6 2200kv (4x6prop) Ė (faster flight and shorter duration)
    Turnigy deluxe 40A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller w/Data Logging (or similar)
    Turnigy MG90S Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg / 13.4g /0.10sec (6 each)
    ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C flight Battery(2 each)
    Flap hinges - AC Hinge sheet (180mmx140mmx0.3mm)
    Camera mount
    Magnets or Velcro for securing wings
    Laminating film (wing leading edge)
    Carbon fiber strut and body/tail boom reinforcements
    Move rudder and elevator servos out to end of tail boom

Radio BasicSetup:
    Turnigy 9XR 9Ch Transmitter without Module (Mode2) (v2 Firmware)
    FrSky DJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Telemetry Module & V8FR-II RX
    Turnigy 9XR Safety Protected 11.1v (3s) 2200mAh1.5C Transmitter Pack
    IMAX B6 Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells (suggestions?)
    FrSky USB Cable for programming

Upgrade forVideo
    Fat Shark Dominators goggles
    5.8Ghz module for goggles - TBS Dominator Rx(5G8) - Band E: FoxTech
    5.8GHz VTx Ė FoxTech 5.8G 200mw 8CH Video Transmitter
    PZ0420 camera w 2.8 lens
    LC Filter (?)
    5.8 GHz Transmitter CP antenna(s)
    Fat Shark Ski goggle adaptor - Clearview FPV Ski Goggle

Upgrade Transmitter for longer Range (5.8GHz)
    Make these decisions later when I can actually make use of the range

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I glued my wings permanently. It will still fit inside my SUV. Definately move the servos back into the tail. Don't bother with the Lam in my opinion. Tape is easier unless you have it lying around. I think the consensus is to spar the wing a bit more. I tried both motors. The 1400kv one was by far the winner for me. CNC parts(I think that's their name) makes an adjustable motor mount so you can use a bigger prop. 9" is great. These are just the things that worked for me. My .02

Navigator
    I live adjacent to a pasture with lots of loco plants. Yeah ... my potential flying field. I'm pretty sure that every landing will include at least one wing hitting one of these silly, ugly things. I figured the lam might help keep the wings somewhat "un-dinged". I've even though about inlaying a strip of carbon on the leading edge then covering it with lam to take what I believe will be constant impacts.

Navigator
    BUMP

Guys and Gals ... I'd really like a little more feedback ... the money is burning a hole in my pocket and I hate to make bad choices.
    Thanks

Navigator
    Made the purchase of the Bixter, motor, servos, transmitter and receiver and based on the dozens of hours of reading, it should be okay. FPV Vx/Rx will come a bit later. I'll post another build thread ... just for the heck of it.

I just got the same radio setup that you listed, except for the charger. Binding is fairly easy, just wasn't used to the procedure after using a DX6 for a while. I got the 9XR to have more capability without having to buy a DX8.
    I haven't tested the range yet, but the RX module has two rather long antennas(for a 2.4 system) and they recommend in the paperwork that they stay 180 degrees from eachother. They are long enough that you can have the module in the center of the fuse and have a couple inches of antenna wire sticking out of each side.
    I have one in my Hex, and just received my second module to install in the SkyHunter I am going to be building soon.

Also, I second the recommendation on the CNC motor mount. I have one installed in my SuperSkySurfer, and I bought a second for my future Bixler 2 build. They are super easy to put in, light, sturdy, and make motor swaps really easy. Search for "small parts CNC" on Ebay. I am sure they have a website, but I haven't looked for it.
    Looking forward to your build!

Navigator
    I hear there is a little learning curve on the 9XR, but the capabilities sound outstanding. I did get a couple of extra antennas (5db and 7db) for the FrSky ... they were cheap, but don't know how well they will work to extend my range. Not something I really need to be concerned about for a while (LOS first ... sigh). Gotta also understand the Rx antenna requirements ... who knew there would be so much to learn?

I actually did not get the charger I'd noted above. Chargers have changed/improved since I last looked at them. I started a seperate thread asking for suggestions. Yes, I know there are about 2000 threads on chargers already. My reading has been concentrated on Bixler 2 and 9Xr threads. I only have 27 hours in each day ...

Yeah, right there with you on the learning curve. I charged the Lipo and then looked through and changed settings for a long while.

I have a Bixler 1 with a 2200 on it that a friend gave me for my first R/C plane. Strangely, after all this time, I ALWAYS throw the Bix in the car when I go to the field. With the 2200kv motor it will climb at a stupidly fun angle until you back out of the throttle. I used that Small Parts CNC mount to put a 3536 910kv on the Super Sky Surfer, so if you use that 1400 kv motor for the Bix 2, you can't go wrong with the mount. Heck, I may order the Bix 2 and use the mount to put the Surfer's old motor on it with at least a 9" prop. That may be a winning combo for that plane (as Hockey said above).

Let me know how the Bix 2 goes together for you. I will probably order one in the next week or so....as if I don't have enough projects....