Thread: Regulations in Austria

Forum Member

Regulations in Austria

Article in German, bad news for us Austrians

http://diepresse.com/home/politik/in...i-herumfliegen

Forum Member

Forum Member
    Don't read german, don't have facebook and that link requires a login.

I'm kind of curious, could you do a short cliff note?

Banned?

Forum Member
    I think this google translation is quite understandable: http://translate.google.com/translat...Drohnen-Gesetz

Basically there are different classes:

- hobby: max range 500m outside rc clubs, visual contact required (this means, no FPV)
    - commercial with visual contact: max 500m, "drone" has to fulfil requirements that are not yet revealed
    - commercial without visual contact: Pilot License (lol), "drone" needs to fulfil technical requirements again, not yet disclosed, but probably a bit more than above

for both commercial classes: if you take pictures/video you have to ask for permission (regarding privacy) before doing so
    for private videos/photos the same laws as for photography in general apply, so the limitation here is not as strict, but the key points
    are the very limited range and the requirement of eye contact to the drone.

the claim that you need the piloting license because you need to be aware of the general rules in flight traffic - which is somewhat ridiculous.
    I've got a private pilots license, and I would never really compare FPV flying to real planes/helicopters, this is a HUGE difference.

Something like this would make sense if we have full HD links and speeds over 150kmh - otherwise you cannot compare the visibility, maneuverability
    and awareness in a full sized plane to a quad, plane, anything. It's really 2 different worlds.

I think it's obvious that regulations are needed, and that they will come (I'm saying this as a pilot). But I am pretty sure that
    there are options which are okay for both sides. E.g. to extend the range for FPV and AT LEAST (of course I prefer to fly alone) have a second
    person monitoring the "drone".

Hopefully we can motivate a lot of people to participate.

Forum Member
    I think they got a point with the pilot license, those laws are general medium term, not short term.
    Eventually people while have "drones" that are 50+kg and fly like real planes, at same speed, altitude and similar range, in the next 10-20 years.

I think they should however exclude the hobby stuff from that, like they actually usually did in the past. Ie, usually you have "if its less than 5kg then its a hobby thing then the rule don't apply".

Forum Member
    of course they have a point - but then, as you say, why not just create meaningful classifications, and not a one-for-all rule...

Forum Member
    This would seem to encourage people to get a pilots license.

Do we really want every knuckle dragger out there to get a pilots license?

Thanks for the cliff notes btw.

Forum Member
    That sucks, sorry to hear about this Chbla... Time to remove Austria from your screenname perhaps?
    [QUOTE]"You can't take the sky from me"[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    haha right, yeah... it's planned for 2014 though currently