Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New article on a simple FPV City Rig

I have 2 of the 5.8gHz Dominators. Thinking they were going to be a good choice for FPV now that I have a little better understanding of flying around bluffs (big hills) and trees, I have relegated the 5.8gHz to making my ground station wireless.
    With all that said... I am going to try the CL and CP antennas for 5.8gHz.
    I have used the 5.8gHz with my Quad but I mainly go up and down and hover... don't do much "forward" flying with the quad.
    I just don't trust the range of the of the Dominator.

Later,
    Gundy

Pilot
    Hyperion argues that 2S rarely ever needs balancing and does not provide a balance plug either. My tendency is to trust that, in my experience I don't really need to balance my 2S. That said the FS battery is expensive for what it is.

About DSMX, well, here's why Spektrum has bad reputation:

1/ DSM2 (DX7 standard) uses 2 DSSS frequencies, choosen more or less at random (its supposed to take 2 free ones but in practice that doesnt exactly work), often times its 2 frequencies next to one another if it gets interfered with, bad luck.
    Other brands use FHSS or variants and generally don't get into troubles.

2/The RXs stop working at a rather high voltage so when there's a voltage drop you can lose control for a moment. Other brands of RX seems much better there.

3/reconnection after signal or power loss is fast but not that fast (a sec or two)

And here's what DSMX brinsg to the table (DX7 can be upgraded to be fully DSMX compatible, its 100% software, but you still need a DSMX receiver):

1/ Full, true FHSS and it does use the complete spektrum, just as good as FAAST or FrSky

2/RX is much more tolerant to low voltage (stops functioning around 3V)

3/Reconnection time is almost instant now

Of course its rather new so issues could be found in the future but on the technical side they fixed everything. (also DSMX TX are backward compat to DSM2)

Here's also a test from the guy who sort of started the whole "DSM2 sux" and the whole "FrSky" is pretty good: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dx8dsmxreview.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
    s Where did you get the Alulah??? I've been bugging Sander for one but he's not coming forward... he won't even take a trade for a tricopter.
    Just waiting for it... I have got all the gear: prop, motor, batteries, FPV, etc... except the plane...

I hope some day Robert will release it...

Navigator
    Great article Tim, I'm part of the initial orders for your tricopter kit so this is all very timely.

One question that might have been beat to death elsewhere is your decision to have both a GoPro and a dedicated FPV camera on board. For a relatively low-speed, up close city rig, do the benefits of the dedicated camera outweigh the weight penalty? I've seen that readymaderc.com sells GoPro adapter cables for video transmitters, so I was planning on going that route - should I re-think that plan?

Thanks,
    Kent

Quote Originally Posted by kbmyers View Post
    Great article Tim, I'm part of the initial orders for your tricopter kit so this is all very timely.

One question that might have been beat to death elsewhere is your decision to have both a GoPro and a dedicated FPV camera on board. For a relatively low-speed, up close city rig, do the benefits of the dedicated camera outweigh the weight penalty? I've seen that readymaderc.com sells GoPro adapter cables for video transmitters, so I was planning on going that route - should I re-think that plan?

Thanks,
    Kent
    It is really about personal preference. David from rcexplorer.se who is an avid tricopter FPV-er flies only with a GoPro. To me, I don't like the black bars (they drive me crazy) of the GoPro TV out signal. I also hate the slow light adjustment and poor low light performance of the GoPro. I don't use the GoPro case, which saves me 100g of which I happily invest 25g (or so) on having a dedicated, high quality flight cam.

Navigator
    Good point - thinking about it as 1/4 the weight of the GoPro case puts it into perspective!

Great article, Tim. Can't wait for your kit to arrive in my mailbox

I have the Dominator goggles too. I use them wired at the moment, but I do have an IRC 600mW 5.8 Vtx and Dominator 5.8 Vrx on the way. I have some CL antennas already from a 5.8 system that broke. I plan on using it on multirotors since I don't plan on flying them more than 500ft LOS. I guess the IRC Vtx should have plenty of range if I need it. Things that shouldn't fly just scare me if they are out of LOS for me...

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Any circularly polarized antenna is going to make your FPV experience far better on 5.8GHz than any other item. It doesn't matter wht you get, cloverleafs, skew wheels, BluBeams, Fans, windmills. They all work very well. the problem with the Blubeams are getting your hands on them. Demand far exceeds my ability to supply them despite the fact that the individual base fed cloverleaf and skew wheel are often better.

You need to stop focusing on the radio. Any 72MHz radio will do. It's the RX that's the key to good reception, not the transmitter. I can do 4 miles on any 72 MHz radio with a cheap corona RP8D1 RX onboard. No need for LRS and I don't even bother with the extended antenna mod.

So if you ditch the GoPro and Spektrum and pick up a set of circular antennas, a 72MHz radio (Corona RX) You come out about $350 cheaper with a copter that's more capable and more fun to fly.

Good call on the Dominator Goggles, though. I just got mine. I can't wait to try 'em.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Maryville, TN USA, near Knoxville at base of Great Smokeys National Park
    LOL...nothing like knowing where every tree is...well c'ept one...

anyway's , who "needs" a big open field to fly FPV...;-)
    I've survived a plane crash... flipped off monitor...went and got plane...
    FPV the ONLY way to fly for OLD BOLD pilots

I hope nobody minds me reopening this thread.

After lurking and reading here on fpvlab.com for a month or so I'm about to jump into the fpv pool. It looks like a smart way to start is with a rig similar to (if not exactly like) what's described in Tim's Simple City Rig column. My question is - after 6 months, Tim, do you still think this is a good setup? I too would mostly be using it in city parks and smallish areas. Eventually I'll want to upgrade to be able to use it when I'm traveling to mountains and beaches, but that would be a next step. I'd like to make my first steps as simple as possible, but I don't want to get anything I'll want to replace or upgrade in 6 months.

As I already have a couple aircraft, GoPro and Tx/Rx I guess I'm mainly asking about the FatSharks, FPV Flight Cam, and Video TX. And are you still happy with 5.8?
    Last edited by xtrmtrk; 27th March 2012 at 04:45 PM.