Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New article on a simple FPV City Rig

With 2.4 and 5.8 wireless, WiMax and every other frequency I would think 72mhz would actually be favorable for city flying - with the right antenna..

I could be wrong..
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Thanks Scotttu. It looks like you live nearby; you might know where I'd fly - mostly in the downtown Bellevue park or out at Marymoor Park in Redmond. Downtown Bellevue is surrounded by businesses and apartments, Marymoor is on the edge of Microsoft's campus. From my iPhone I see dozens of wifi networks around both so there's a lot of wireless activity going on. I'm sure there are plenty of wireless phones around too.

Looking at the FatShark data sheets it seems they only do 2.4 and 5.8 built into their goggles so 72MHz would require a separate receiver. Is it worth having the added complexity and cost? Maybe it would be absolutely required. I wish there was a way to get more definitive answers about these things.

The goggles do nothing! chicken sashimi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZobZibZab View Post
    Hyperion argues that 2S rarely ever needs balancing and does not provide a balance plug either. My tendency is to trust that, in my experience I don't really need to balance my 2S. That said the FS battery is expensive for what it is.

About DSMX, well, here's why Spektrum has bad reputation:

1/ DSM2 (DX7 standard) uses 2 DSSS frequencies, choosen more or less at random (its supposed to take 2 free ones but in practice that doesnt exactly work), often times its 2 frequencies next to one another if it gets interfered with, bad luck.
    Other brands use FHSS or variants and generally don't get into troubles.

2/The RXs stop working at a rather high voltage so when there's a voltage drop you can lose control for a moment. Other brands of RX seems much better there.

3/reconnection after signal or power loss is fast but not that fast (a sec or two)

And here's what DSMX brinsg to the table (DX7 can be upgraded to be fully DSMX compatible, its 100% software, but you still need a DSMX receiver):

1/ Full, true FHSS and it does use the complete spektrum, just as good as FAAST or FrSky

2/RX is much more tolerant to low voltage (stops functioning around 3V)

3/Reconnection time is almost instant now

Of course its rather new so issues could be found in the future but on the technical side they fixed everything. (also DSMX TX are backward compat to DSM2)

Here's also a test from the guy who sort of started the whole "DSM2 sux" and the whole "FrSky" is pretty good: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dx8dsmxreview.shtml
    Thanks for all this info.. I really appreciate someone finally explaining why spektrum is so poorly reputed.
    On that note I have the option of installing my EzUHF on either my dx6i or my new turnigy 9x.. since the UHF signal has nothing to do with the 2.4 signal from these radios, does it really come down to personal preference/physical feel of the radio as to which one I should pair my uhf system with?

Thanks for your insight

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmtrk View Post
    Thanks Scotttu. It looks like you live nearby; you might know where I'd fly - mostly in the downtown Bellevue park or out at Marymoor Park in Redmond. Downtown Bellevue is surrounded by businesses and apartments, Marymoor is on the edge of Microsoft's campus. From my iPhone I see dozens of wifi networks around both so there's a lot of wireless activity going on. I'm sure there are plenty of wireless phones around too.

Looking at the FatShark data sheets it seems they only do 2.4 and 5.8 built into their goggles so 72MHz would require a separate receiver. Is it worth having the added complexity and cost? Maybe it would be absolutely required. I wish there was a way to get more definitive answers about these things.
    Talking RC link - 72mhz - from you to the plane...I would not even DREAM of flying downtown Bellevue on a 2.4ghz RC Link, UHF (433mhz) would probably be OK.

From the plane to you - (Video) 1.2 or 1.3ghz or 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz - that goes into the receiver on your goggles or in my case to my receiver on my base station and then to a video splitter and then via cable to my goggles...
    I'd have to see what they have there, 1.3ghz might be safer in your environment...for video.

As close as you are to the foothills of the cascades though - Wow the sky is the limit!!
    I have to go across the Canal 2 hours to hit the Olympic Mountains, heck I could be in the Cascades in 2 hrs...
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Quote Originally Posted by Scotttu View Post
    Talking RC link - 72mhz - from you to the plane...I would not even DREAM of flying downtown Bellevue on a 2.4ghz RC Link, UHF (433mhz) would probably be OK.
    LOL, I fly 2.4 RC downtown Bellevue once or twice a week! No problems so far with my Spektrum DX7s. I have the telemetry option on it and worst case scenario I might loose a half dozen frames during 10 minutes of flying. Knock on wood, maybe I've been lucky.

From the plane to you - (Video) 1.2 or 1.3ghz or 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz - that goes into the receiver on your goggles or in my case to my receiver on my base station and then to a video splitter and then via cable to my goggles...
    I'd have to see what they have there, 1.3ghz might be safer in your environment...for video.
    OK, that makes a lot more sense to me. I was looking around for 72MHz video equipment and couldn't find anything.

Have you ever seen a chart showing what all the frequencies are used for? It'd be useful to know what we're sharing with at each frequency.

As close as you are to the foothills of the cascades though - Wow the sky is the limit!!
    I have to go across the Canal 2 hours to hit the Olympic Mountains, heck I could be in the Cascades in 2 hrs...
    Step 2. I'm usually very bad at biting off more than I can chew. Not this time. Not this time. Not this time. (I need to keep telling myself that.) But yeah, when I'm ready, there's going to be a lot of fun to have. I REALLY want to go down and fly around Rainier.

The worst part is that I spend a lot of time in the mountainous areas of Idaho and Montana. Watching too many TBS videos gets me seriously itching to do FPV over there.

Thanks for all the information, it really helps. The costs involved here make me kind of hesitant to just jump in.

I hope nobody minds me reopening this thread.

After lurking and reading here on fpvlab.com for a month or so I'm about to jump into the fpv pool. It looks like a smart way to start is with a rig similar to (if not exactly like) what's described in Tim's Simple City Rig column. My question is - after 6 months, Tim, do you still think this is a good setup? I too would mostly be using it in city parks and smallish areas. Eventually I'll want to upgrade to be able to use it when I'm traveling to mountains and beaches, but that would be a next step. I'd like to make my first steps as simple as possible, but I don't want to get anything I'll want to replace or upgrade in 6 months.

As I already have a couple aircraft, GoPro and Tx/Rx I guess I'm mainly asking about the FatSharks, FPV Flight Cam, and Video TX. And are you still happy with 5.8?
    Good question. I still fly the rig as described in the article. I still strap my flight cam over the GoPro because I dampen my GoPro from vibrations -- the flight cam benefits from these same measures. I only made minor tweaks to this set up: I added BluBeam antennas to my video tx and goggle rx from IBCrazy. They dramatically improved my video range and quality of the picture (less static). I also added an FrSky DHT-U unit to this set up so that can get RSSI and Lipo pack voltage feedback without the need of an OSD. While you're flying, the FrSky module starts beeping if your triggering either one of two RSSI alarms for low signal strength or if your Lipo pack reaches low voltage. I still use my DX7 (using the same mod described on fpvmanuals.com to hook in the FrSky module that I can also use for my EzUHF module and still fly regular DSM2), still use 5.8 (the distances I fly are not far enough to have to switch), and still use my Dominator goggles -- but I did add a new Cinemizer OLED ski goggle pair (they are not out yet so no sense in considering them for now). You will want to get a good flight cam -- and I still fly with the ReadyMadeRC 600 and 700 line models. And... I still love my tricopter! What's not to love about a city rig that can do this (in NYC, Central Park):

One more question @ Scotttu - Do you know of anywhere around Puget Sound where I could try on a pair of FatSharks? I'm nervous about some of the models having fixed pupil distance. When I get prescription glasses I'm always very limited by the frames I can choose because I've got a big head and my eyes are far apart. I'd like to try before I buy if I could.

I'm in Woodinville and have a pair of fat sharks, the 922's. They are slightly adjustable but there is no way you are going to wear glasses under them.

I'm near sighted, so I'm assuming I won't need corrective lenses while using the FatSharks. But I do need to make sure the LED screens are in front of my eyes and not my nose!

@Hucker - do you fly FPV around here? Any chance I could watch sometime?

LOL, I fly 2.4 RC downtown Bellevue once or twice a week! No problems so far with my Spektrum DX7s.

Have you ever seen a chart showing what all the frequencies are used for? It'd be useful to know what we're sharing with at each frequency.

Thanks for all the information, it really helps. The costs involved here make me kind of hesitant to just jump in.
    OK Cool to know! I fig ured it wou ld be very noisey down there, but for video it just might be - (my VTX is on 2.4ghz so I can't fly with people at hte local flying field....FPV is a lonely sport LOL)

Once you jump in you'll wonder why you didn't sooner!

Frequency - start here

http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/spectr...e/Welcome.html

KF7TRX