Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New article on a simple FPV City Rig

New article on a simple FPV City Rig

Let me know what you think about the new "Simple City Rig" blog post on fpvmanuals.com.

To be completely honest with you I think that offering 5.8 fatsharks for a city rig is a terrible idea. I have 5.8 fatsharks and I live in Miami and when I use the built in RX I can get about 200 feet away before I get static. 5.8 has no business in the city.
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Navigator
    Tim,

Great setup with simple, relatively inexpensive gear. One question I have for you: it looks like you are using the inbuilt receiver in the dominator goggles? This is great to eliminate the need for a video receiver. What range to you find you get off this set up? I would have thought <1km is perfect for park flying? Where did you buy your googles and FPV transmitter?

Cant wait to get my Delrin Kit in the mail! Dont forget to throw in a few stickers with the kit. Who knows, one might even make it on my bumper

Michael

Navigator
    Another point is where it says the kit does not include: No ground station ect.

Does not include no ground station, is a double negative. Meaning the kit does include a ground station. You need to remove the word NO from infront of all that list.

Still cant wait for the kit to be available. With the left overs after the pre orders, will it be a first come first served basis? Or are the left overs all sold too?

Fantastic, as usual!!!

However, I would like to point you that the Pyrenees are half in France and half in Spain...

My current project is to build a "portable" Super Alulah 2.1 to be able to fly in the Pyrenees, where I spend some days avery summer. I was supposed to be flying over the Aneto (the highest mountain, in the Spain side...) this summer, but loosing my plane one month before didn't help...

Keep on with FPV-manuals, it is fantastic.

BTW, I am waiting for the Servocity shipment, in order to build the antenna tracker following your log.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Great except for one part: the radio. Most every experienced FPVer knows how bad Spektrum is for everything FPV.

Also, why the GoPro? Is this becoming standard FPV equipment now?

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Pilot
    If the DX7 is upgraded for DSMX there shouldn't be any real problem compared to other 2.4Ghz transmitters.

I agree - of all the 2.4gHz gear Spektrum is the worst. I'd fly a $50 72mHz radio from 1985 w/ a 72rx (modified antenna) any day over Spektrum. I also agree that the LINK is what FPV is about. You take a "simple" low-budget rig and increase it's value by $300 with 1 purchase - yet, you don't increase it's reliability bc it's on Spektrum. That's a great way to crash and destroy a $300 camera.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

First --- thanks for all your good feedback and questions. Let's make the article better by suggesting alternative gear choices that will provide better/lower cost alternatives. I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Tim,
    Great setup with simple, relatively inexpensive gear. One question I have for you: it looks like you are using the inbuilt receiver in the dominator goggles? This is great to eliminate the need for a video receiver. What range to you find you get off this set up? I would have thought <1km is perfect for park flying? Where did you buy your googles and FPV transmitter?
    Mike -- I bought my Dominator goggles from readymaderc.com. They sell the goggles and the 5.8gHz module. They also separately sell the specific Dominator battery, which at $35 is not a smart buy. The battery also does not have a balancing plug and only has a barrel power connector... all things that make life difficult to use your regular chargers, balancers, and volt meters. I suggest you solder yourself a simple barrel to JST connector and buy any small ~800 to 1000mAh 2s battery for a few bucks... buy a couple to have a spare.

This rig is a close range FPV set up... but it covers a large park lawn area comfortably. Because of the antennas I am currently using (small omnis), I can't fly that high above my head due to the black-out donut that omnis have above/below them.

Quote Originally Posted by sircana View Post
    Fantastic, as usual!!!

However, I would like to point you that the Pyrenees are half in France and half in Spain...

My current project is to build a "portable" Super Alulah 2.1 to be able to fly in the Pyrenees, where I spend some days avery summer. I was supposed to be flying over the Aneto (the highest mountain, in the Spain side...) this summer, but loosing my plane one month before didn't help...

Keep on with FPV-manuals, it is fantastic.

BTW, I am waiting for the Servocity shipment, in order to build the antenna tracker following your log.
    Thank you. Glad you are going with the Servocity tracker... it's super solid. Where did you get the Alulah??? I've been bugging Sander for one but he's not coming forward... he won't even take a trade for a tricopter.

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Great except for one part: the radio. Most every experienced FPVer knows how bad Spektrum is for everything FPV.

Also, why the GoPro? Is this becoming standard FPV equipment now?

-Alex
    Alex -- the Spektrum DX7 is the only radio I've ever owned and it has never given me any trouble. I fly it with the cheapest HK 2.4 spektrum clone RX (which is ~$7) and I never lost the link to my tricopter (again, this rig is for close range FPV). What's your favorite radio for FPV? I also have my DX7 rigged to easily plug in my EzUHF TX, which has been working very well. I am definately not saying Spektrum is the greatest and have nothing to compare it to, but I just have had no issues with my DX7. Your advice would be appreciated. Also, I was thinking about getting your BlueBeam antenna set for this set up (on the TX and the goggle RX). How noticeable of an improvement over the standard omnis do you think I'd experience with the described set up?

Yes, the GoPro is now a standard part of any serious FPV rig
    Seriously, I do think having the ability to record crisp HD video from a tiny tricopter is a great possibility. Sharing beautiful recordings online is a big part of the FPV hobby, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ZobZibZab View Post
    If the DX7 is upgraded for DSMX there shouldn't be any real problem compared to other 2.4Ghz transmitters.
    Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    I agree - of all the 2.4gHz gear Spektrum is the worst. I'd fly a $50 72mHz radio from 1985 w/ a 72rx (modified antenna) any day over Spektrum. I also agree that the LINK is what FPV is about. You take a "simple" low-budget rig and increase it's value by $300 with 1 purchase - yet, you don't increase it's reliability bc it's on Spektrum. That's a great way to crash and destroy a $300 camera.
    Where are you buying your GoPro's for $300? You're being ripped off! I bought my last GoPro for a little over $200 at o2gearshop.com.

I'd like to add 'swap out gear choices' to the article -- what low budget radio would provide a good option for the TX? Also, what are everyone's thoughts about 5.8 for close range FPV?

I have a very similar "Park Flyer" type setup but use AIO Goggles with 5.8 rx and 200mW vtx on my Superfly plane with great results out to about 2000 ft. Video slowly gets grainy at limits so plenty of notice before I lose signal. I actully lose RC signal from Spektrum DX7 before I lose video but its a great setup for close in flying like below. I fly this setup all over in Huntsville which isn't really a big city but never had an issue, out to 2000 ft at least.