Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Feiyu tech FY-41AP

Feiyu tech FY-41AP

Just thought I would start a thread for the new FY-41AP Flight controller.

From the Feiyu site:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1304081004528815.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	24262

FY-41AP is an inertial attitude measurement instrument used for FPV flight on fixed-wing aircrafts and multi-rotors aircrafts. It has an integrated OSD video overlay system that presents critical flight information such as power management, airspeed, altitude, and flight direction via its electronic compass, allowing for a clear visual flight while ensuring key information is within sight.
    The new FY-41AP with its enhanced Altitude Control and GPS module, can now realize improved pinpoint inertial navigation and automatic piloting.

FY-41AP works on fixed wing aircraft
    ● Flight Stabilization
    ● 3D Aerobatic Flight
    ● Fixed Altitude and Heading Lock Flight
    ● Auto Return To Home
    ● Preset Path and Point Navigation Flight
    ● PTZ Control
    FY-41AP works on Multi-rotor aircrafts
    ● Attitude Stabilized Mode
    ● Hovering Mode
    ● Auto Return To Home
    ● PTZ Control
    FY-41AP can connect the air speed sensor which automatically controls throttle and can make the aircraft more stable.
    FY-41AP comes with a power management module with an integrated current sensor. You can power both your FY-41AP and your servos at once, or utilize the power management module to charge them separately.
    You can set up parameters using your remote control or your computer.
    OSD is an essential part for FPV. The FY-41AP can adapt both PAL and NTSC video signals. The entire adaptive process is completed approximately within 1 second.
    Integrated OSD Video Overlay System, FY-41AP overlays flight telemetry information onto video image. Information displayed includes: Altitude, Speed, Direction, Home Direction and many more.

Warm prompt: You should to do the firmware upgrade separately for FY-41AP-OSD control module and OSD module.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think anyone owns this yet as it appears to be a brand new product. (Currently only sold through Aliexpress and other China-oriented sites) But I have no doubt it will arrive on our shores soon. It looks very nice, essentially a more compact and updated version of the Hornet+FY31AP combo.

It does NOT appear to have any ATT supporting capabilities, but it DOES appear to have some kind of ground station software. The page isn't entirely clear, but it seems to be related to the autopilot capability of the device, and a "fly by mouse" functionality is indicated. Very interesting.

Please post below if you find anything else interesting out about this new unit...
    FPV - The World is My Airfield

Navigator

Cool Box Review

I got mine on Monday but have not had a chance to play with it.

As usual, the unit is very well presented and packaged. The FY-41AP unit itself looks more like the FY-DOS than the 31AP. Headers are well laid out and logically placed.

FeiYu was kind enough to send me an updated manual - different to the one for download on the website - it looks great and appears to have been edited well - here it is:

FY41AP MANUAL 16 April 2013.pdf
    Last edited by FPV-NUT; 16th April 2013 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FPV-NUT View Post
    I got mine on Monday but have not had a chance to play with it.

As usual, the unit is very well presented and packaged. The FY-41AP unit itself looks more like the FY-DOS than the 31AP. Headers are well laid out and logically placed.

FeiYu was kind enough to send me an updated manual - different to the one for download on the website - it looks great and appears to have been edited well - here it is:

FY41AP MANUAL 16 April 2013.pdf
    The attachment didn't take. EDIT: Ha! It showed up in my quote! Weird.

Please, post a review as soon as you are able. I'm very excited about this unit. Looks quite nice.

Navigator
    Will try a plug-and-replace in my setup tonight i.e direct replacement of FY-31AP & FY-OSD combination with the FY-41AP and perform a pre-flight check.
    Will let you know how it goes but keen to save the space previous taken up by FY-OSD and wires.

Quote Originally Posted by FPV-NUT View Post
    Will try a plug-and-replace in my setup tonight i.e direct replacement of FY-31AP & FY-OSD combination with the FY-41AP and perform a pre-flight check.
    Will let you know how it goes but keen to save the space previous taken up by FY-OSD and wires.

You and me both. I only have the Hornet and the amount of space it takes is incredibly annoying.

Navigator
    Hmmm, The settings app work well, but the OSD and AFSS module firmware update tools don't want to connect. Doing it the usual way i.e. plug in the cable, open the port, then plug in the FY to the top UART for AFSS or bottom UART port for OSD FW - it does not show its connected as it does with the FY-31AP or Hornet.

AM I missing something? The firmware upgrade instructions are a bit thin on detail, with only pin outs provided. If anything has changed from the previous version, a step by step update would be helpful.

Also, when connected to the USB PC, the Power module pulls down the power preventing the 41 from powering up (light comes on VERY dim) - does it need battery power with Power/CS module plugged in? This was not the case with the FY-31AP.

More later!

Navigator
    Right, here goes!

I have replaced the FY-31AP and Hornet combination with the FY-41AP and it took all of 10 minutes, which is great. Here is a summary of the pro's and con's so far:

Pro's:

• Single unit rather than two, with size and weight reduced overall (still to weigh them, so this is subjective)
    • Very easy to swap the old setup for the new ito receiver, camera, data radio and GPS connection ito wiring - looks much cleaner and saves space.
    • For basic setups, the new CS/BEC (12V and 5V combined) unit is great as it simplifies supplying power to the system.
    • Addition of the Airspeed sensor and airspeed automation - not sure how the sensor works as its only got one port, not like the normal peter tube 2 port system on the ArduPilot.

Con's:

Not convinced the power system design makes sense for larger or more complex systems - there are two sources for three different components:
    • From the new BEC/Current sensor unit:
      • 12V for Video TX and Camera
      • 5V for FY-41AP, GPS, Receiver and data radio
    • 5V for Servos from ESC or separate BEC.
    The integration of the OSD /AFSS as well as the CS/BEC unit concentrates power failure modes, and at first glance appears to make redundancy/reliability more difficult to implement.

NOTE: Maybe someone from Feiyu can explain the rationale behind the design?

My concern is the reliability and single point of failure of the power unit / current sensor supplying both 12V for Video camera/TX and 5V for AFSS/OSD, receiver and data radio. If the BEC/CS goes, the plane goes.

I normally prefer a dual redundant BEC setup for the Controls (RX, Data Radio, AFSS and Servos) and a separate one for Video & OSD (off a separate battery), so I will probably end up splitting the CS and BEC units to get power redundancy I prefer. Not sure where that leaves the rather large CS/BEC unit.

The current sensor / BEC unit is also much larger to put inline with the battery than the old unit which may be a bit fiddly to place in the plane, but I suppose is workable.

Will test if the old CS works with the FY-41AP but straight out the pin configurations don't match, so would require some reconfiguration.

That's all for tonight - hope I will have a chance to sort out the power system concerns over the next week and write about the actual performance of the system.

FPV-NUT, could you post some pictures of the OSD screen(s)? Thanks

Interesting take so far FPVNUT.

I suspect the reasoning behind the BEC/current sensor unit was to enable single battery setups as those are generally preferred among the majority of FPV flyers due to the reduction in the points of failure. I can tell you that on my own Hornet setup I added an LC filter soldered to the 12v current sensor output to feed my hornet clean 12v power from the main battery. I did this not only to reduce the potential points of failure on my system, but also to reduce the space required to power my system. The LC filter is tiny compared to the battery needed to run the OSD and VTX. By hooking to the main battery I can eliminate the secondary power source. One less battery to have to remember to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer451 View Post
    FPV-NUT, could you post some pictures of the OSD screen(s)? Thanks
    There is a picture of the OSD screen in the first post.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast