FPVLAB

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: So what if you're confronted by an angry bystander?

Navigator
    LOL @Grox

Hey this turned out to be a pretty good thread, and I'm actually releived to learn that nearly everyone has had only postive experiences. I actually expected some pretty nasty stuff, especially after all the negative press and nasty comments on the 'net - i.e. this thread from Metafilter where some self-righteous jackass claims if he sees someone flying an FPV quad he'll "smash their gear".

(yeah. sure you will, tough guy.)

Thankfully it would appear that the self righteous jackasses are common in internet comment threads but rare in real life. So maybe I'll worry a little less about encountering one.

I've had mostly positive response but I did witness a guy totally go ballistic on an FPVer and claim that he was contacting the FAA and the airport manager. Dude was pretty much screaming. He was totally in the wrong and the airport manager just sent him on his way.
    KF7TRU, youtube.com/user/wildwill1970/videos, Skywalker 1680mm, RMRC 400mW 1280mhz vTx, Dragonlink V1, MFD ATT, Crosshair GSA 1280mhz

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    JBeloncik and I were once told to stop flying by no less than 3 cops. What we didn't know was that we were flying over a prison. We laughed about it for the next hour.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

The only people we've had come confront us were horse people and ranchers, the difference is the horse people ride right up next to you when they complain Always be polite and you can diffuse the tension pretty quickly.

Oh yeah and stay away from LOSers, some of them will go far out of their way to ruin your day.

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    I was flying over some open area that is also a horse pasture for use by employees of the company I work for. On that particular day, the herd of horses was in a completely different field, not even close to us. We were spotted, they called company security on us, and they sent the most incompetent security guard I have ever met. He drove up to us like a bat out of hell, started making a big stink about the fact that we were there. We explained that we were employees, and were there because it's an open field away from people, animals, buildings, etc. He said the problem was not that we were flying planes there, his reasoning was that it simply "looked suspicious" that we were doing it out in the middle of an open field. Pardon? You want us to fly CLOSER to things that could get hit?? And he would not explicitly tell us what he wanted us to do, I think partially because maybe he started to see the flaw in his argument, and because he was high on authority. After about 10 minutes of arguing and trying to understand what exactly he wanted us to do, I finally had to ask him explicitly if he wanted us to leave, to which he finally, but almost reluctantly, said yes and miraculously calmed down immediately. As we were packing up, he suggested another area that we could fly that was only about 300 yards away. This was about a year ago.

Last weekend, we were in the new "approved" spot, and a different security guard came up. He agreed that the horse guys think they own the place, and to pay no attention to them. He joked with the guy on the other end of his radio, "It's just FEMA flying their drones!"
    Last edited by SecretSpy711; 9th April 2013 at 11:03 AM.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

The big factor determining response is 99% geared around them not being able to see what you see. PLEASE have extra goggles and/or a monitor (not a DVR) that they can view by. This disarms even the most honry people.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    ..the most honry people.
    Wut? (ROFL!)
    FPV - The World is My Airfield

@ wearyman - Can I get the full sized version of your avatar pic? I think it is awesome.

@ Sentry - There is only ONE thing that disarms honry folks...SEX IN YOUR GOGGLES!

I have had nothing but positive response from onlookers as well. even the cops. I always let people take a look in the goggles and fly them around. Have not had negative response yet. Most folks think it is cool as hell. I seem to always hear them say "you better enjoy that thing while you can because they are going to ban those drones", or "You could really spy on people with this thing"

Last summer I was flying at my local field when I suddenly got surrounded by motorized paragliders, they probably didn't know what that weirdo in a seat was doing in the middle of an open field.
    But all of a sudden they left my location and I saw them (took of my goggles for a second) chasing my plane! had to step up the speed and wanted to land but then they started buzzing me by flying really low and giving full throttle right besides of where I was sitting. Got really pissed about this, decided to buzz them a couple of times and they seemed to like it, it was one big airshow (they were with 5). In the end I landed, was afraid that they were pissed but all 5 of them lined up, put their motor on idle and floated next besides of me to wave and smile. That was awesome

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast