FPVLAB

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: So what if you're confronted by an angry bystander?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
    ...Someone actually pulling the plug on your goggles would actually be assault....
    You are correct, however I hate to be the barer of bad news, but no law officer or agency will care. I can tell you first hand, as a handicapped person, assaulted, not even worth an investigators time UNLESS you are checked into a hospital. That is just the realities of budgets. (I used to live in franconia, hi, I'm west coast now)

Secondly, on subject, I was recently and currently threatened for flying FPV - by a friggin R/C club. Yeah, I am quite the happy camper. I paid a $200 access fee to a field, then was told by the club there my flying wasn't allowed. That is not the same story the owner who took my money told.

Bottom line, it got/is real nasty. I spouted off some comments I probably should not have in reaction to the same. I do not feel safe flying there alone now, and will take precautions.

Amazing, sometimes your worst nightmares come from totally unexpected places.

I had nothing but positive experiences, specially with the oldies. I fly solo always (im the only RC/FPV flyer on town and surrounding towns) so it is pretty easy to catch me if something goes wrong. I once let an old men put on the goggles, he start to say, hey, can you go there and there, I can see the river now!!! He was pretty dizzy at the end and trying to move his upper body forward. Very funny!!! They always ask for more.
    I fly on private property thought...FPV is so cool! Only complains I had have was the noise from the prop/model.

To the OP, if I ever get confronted with an angry soul, I think I will try to work out his/her angry. Once the angry is cooled down then I will do my best to find out if his/her angry was really founded on something that I do wrong or if he/she was only having a bad day. At the end maybe I even make a new "friend".

Martin
    Last edited by Martinba77; 9th April 2013 at 06:30 AM.
    Learning by doing...

My impression is that the general public doesn't make the connection/assumption between our hobby and what they see/hear on the news. And that's good.

I am still baffled by the question i got some time ago: " Are your catching moles?" Me: "No".... Next question: "How many?"

Navigator
    Most people don't know what to think of FPV, often it's their first exposure. As when dealing with any other angry person, first thing to do is to listen to them, let them explain the reason for their concern. Often people's anger will fade here as they have to explain irrational behavior. Never argue or be confrontational, instead, once they have voiced their reason for feeling threatened by your FPV flying, agree with the emotional part of the reason. This should pacify most, once someone agrees with their emotions it satisfies a deep human desire. Now is the time to offer a vague plan that doesn't pin you down, but does address their concerns.
    No rest till every single electron is properly accounted for....

If flying a quad: hover beside yourself and fight them from the third person view, like one of those street fighter games.
    Get out there and give it all you've got, and win just one for the Zipper.

^ ... and then post the video !

Navigator
    I was flying from a council owned field (I have council permission) adjacent to a golf course and was tracked down by the groundskeeper from the golf course and he said that golfers had complained to him about me overflying the golf course as it was putting them off their golf. (This is a pay as you go 9 hole hacking course out in the country - its NOT Gleneagles!!).

Really !!?? A sub 2 kilo foam easy-star at 400 feet was putting them off???

He was quite aggressive so I packed up and went home.

Subsequent visits will only be made to fine tune the bench running of my pulse jet !!!!!!!!

All other approaches from people have been very positive and borne from genuine interest or idle curiosity.

That's odd, Scottish groundskeepers are notoriously good-natured.

Get out there and give it all you've got, and win just one for the Zipper.

I dont have a problem with people telling me Ive upset them as long as they have a reason... If someone comes up to me simply because they have not been to the shop today to argue about the price of milk or woolen jumpers or whatever and come across me looking for a fight... Ill give it to them.
    Grumpy oldies can eat one...
    Nice old people who are interested though... for sure..Ill give them my time
    I have a p38 and fly it purely scale.. Its slow, boring but looks damn fine in the air. Might get one flight in six months, whatever. An old bloke came up and talked about it one day for 30 minutes.. I let him go on. He pointed me towards a Glacier Girl doco which I watched and was awesome...Im glad I listened.

If some old bat comes up ranting about me murdering small children with my death machine...while at the same time walking their big ass dog off leash in a public park.. yeah I get upset..I say things I shouldnt.. lots of 4 letter words which could be mistaken for french apparently.. mostly by those that dont speak the language.
    Since the early floater days though I have upgraded...now my tek sumo makes almost 600 Watts at WOT..and a fair bit of noise

Quote Originally Posted by Grox View Post
    If flying a quad: hover beside yourself and fight them from the third person view, like one of those street fighter games.
    I'm still laughing!

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast