FPVLAB

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: So what if you're confronted by an angry bystander?

So what if you're confronted by an angry bystander?

First off this has never happened to me. I have been flying RC for more than two years now and while flying have never been confronted by anyone.

I have had people come up to me but the comments have always been positive, mostly "wow that's really cool" or "where I can get one" type stuff. One time I was flying across the street from a retirement community and two of the old guys came across the street to let me know how much they enjoyed watching me fly. I thought that was nice.

But, all of that was before I ever flew FPV, before I ever flew multirotors, and before all the negative stuff in the press about "drones", usually presented with pictures of multirotors.

So have you ever been confronted by someone in public and how did you handle it?

stuff like "HEY YOU CAN'T FLY THAT EVIL DRONE HERE!!"

Best I figure is that the best thing to do is apologize, land, pack my stuff up and get out of there. It is technically illegal to fly on county property here and I fly out of parks a lot. The thing is the cops don't care if you're not making a nuisance out of yourself. I've had the cops watch me fly and when flying with a group had them come up and we buddy boxed them so they could fly too.

But I know it's coming. One of these days it's going to happen.

Hasn't happened to me but i think about that.

I for one don't want to be under the goggles when someone pulls the plug or whatnot.
    I prefer to fly alone away from people but luckily when I'm with WildWill or BackLashRC - one of us is spotting.

Comments have been 100% positive as well, even up at Ft Worden - tons of people.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Glad to hear that Scottu. Someone actually pulling the plug on your goggles would actually be assault, I would think that's really unlikely. I have had two local flying buddies get confronted: one is an active duty service member who was actually flying on a military base and left when confronted but later got verbal permission to fly where he was. The other was a friend who returned to a site where we had previously been told (nicely) to leave and not come back. He came back about four months later and they were not so nice. He's a great guy but going back there was pretty dumb and I wouldn't have done it.

Luckily the only time I have encountered bystanders were all positive. Maybe because I live in a decent community, maybe because crazy people haven't found me yet... not sure. Just yesterday I had a dad and his son come out and watch me fly around the Bixler. The kid was amazed by the airplane, turns out he has Autism and it really made him happy to see it fly around. I even let him launch it. That made his day and his father happy as well.

Once I had a cop pull up and watch me fly around on the other side of the field. I for sure thought he was going to say something to me. He watched me for about 30 mins then left. He came around to the side where I was parked and I thought to myself... oh shit here comes trouble. He said it was cool and that he wished his dept would get one. He said he always wanted to get into the hobby. So far so good with cops in my hood!

CrashAffinity (youtube) CrashAffinity's Avatar
    never had an angry confrontation myself, only good, last time i got 'caught' flying out around railroad tracks i got invited to oversee the electronics on a high altitude balloon project... so far nothing but positives for me.

I got an earful by some oldies walking their dog when first learning to fly, they said I was disturbing their dog. I just kept flying because the damn thing was chasing my plane around and I knew what would happen if I landed, if anything the dog was having the time of its life...
    They went off in a huff said they would call the council..
    The next time I was flying there a council member came out after they called and complained again, the bloke came up asked me to land...he inspected the plane (axn floater) and laughed at the thought that they said I could kill someone...he let me fly while he watched
    2 weeks later in the local paper there was an article saying that that park is now a legal place to fly electric RC
    I still see those people there sometimes and they always give me the evil eye...oh well.

at leas they're old. only a few more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.

I was confronted by a K-9 unit once while nightflying

I've been confronted a few times by bystanders and it's all been positive responses, even from police and security companies.

same.. sometimes i can barely get flight time due to people asking questions lol.
    but if someone was angry i'd just explain/pack/leave.. or just pack/leave if really angry haha.

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast