FPVLAB

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast

Thread: So what if you're confronted by an angry bystander?

Forum Member
    I tell strangers I am a Search & Rescue volunteer, and I am practicing, need to be ready to go in an emergency.

Forum Member
    Here is a weird one: So I go to a local pond/park to maiden a new amphibious plane. I live in Tucson, Arizona, and in August we see average temps of 105-115 degrees F. It is about 10:30 AM when I arrive and I head toward the pond, where there is a guy standing there with a fishing pole, and he has a hoodie on, a ski mask, dark glasses, and a bandana covering his mouth and neck. Long sleeved shirt, and long pants. Mind you it is at least 105 degrees out. I greeted him as if he was no different than any one else. He then begins to tell me I am not allowed to fly "You can't do that here, I am pretty sure it is illegal". I replied "I am allowed to use the park just as much as anyone else, but if you want to check on the legality we can get the cops over here, I am happy to talk with them".

He didn't respond after that, and after a few minutes of eyeballing me I think he decided that confrontations between cops and ski mask dudes don't generally end well for the ski mask dudes.

What I don't at all understand is why a person would go "Fishing" dressed like they were headed to an antifa rally or an isis camp or something. FPV is always an adventure.

Forum Member
    Avoiding sun ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCLs View Post
    Avoiding sun ?
    Yeah, not rocket science to figure that one out, but the Antifa comment let's you know where he is coming from.

Forum Member
    Faber... You mean you met the invisible man and you didn't ask for a selfie together?!
    [SIZE=3][URL="https://shop.spreadshirt.com/CSFPV/"]FPV Inspired T-Shirts![/URL][/SIZE]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
    Faber... You mean you met the invisible man and you didn't ask for a selfie together?!
    Lol! Nope. How's it going my friend? been a long time! Dude was definitely way weird though, and not just 'staying out of the sun' believe me i know the difference, I live like 4 feet from the front door to hell.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by faber View Post
    Lol! Nope. How's it going my friend? been a long time! Dude was definitely way weird though, and not just 'staying out of the sun' believe me i know the difference, I live like 4 feet from the front door to hell.
    Life is good! No complaints. I don't FPV as much as I used to, but still dabbling here and there when I find time.

Dude sounds weird for sure. Seems there's more and more weirdos out there every day.
    [SIZE=3][URL="https://shop.spreadshirt.com/CSFPV/"]FPV Inspired T-Shirts![/URL][/SIZE]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
    Life is good! No complaints. I don't FPV as much as I used to, but still dabbling here and there when I find time.

Dude sounds weird for sure. Seems there's more and more weirdos out there every day.
    Same here, used to fly at least every other day or so, and now maybe once a month. Definitely more and more sketchy folks out there, especially with all the perpetually outraged peeps that lack the soft skill necessary for civil social engagement. I was wearing a Chicken Sashimi shirt so i am sure the dude knew i was cool.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
    First off this has never happened to me.

[snip]

I know it's coming. One of these days it's going to happen.
    Well here we are in October 2018, I'm still flying FPV and have been since April 2013 when I started this thread.

It never happened. To date I've never been confronted by an "angry bystander", even though I was really apprehensive about it. So far the worst I've seen is some guy flipped my Penguin the bird when I flew in circles around his boat. I didn't even realize it until I got home and looked at my Gopro footage because I kept a respectful distance and didn't get too close.

These days I either fly off a friend's private property, where anyone confronting us would also be trespassing, or in front of a public school where it's perfectly legal to fly, so if anyone started hollering at me I would stand my ground instead of quietly leaving.

At this point 5 years later I think pretty much everyone is aware that these things happen. I don't think there's anything to be gained by keeping this discussion open, so I think we should quietly put this one to bed.

Keep flying and enjoying our great hobby.
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=proxnov-reg]There's no place I can't be / [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=proxnov-reg]Since I found FPV / [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=proxnov-reg]But you can't take the sky from me[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=proxnov-reg]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Forum Member
    Keep this thread alive! This is one of the best threads on the lab.

I love getting FPV lab updates about this thread.

If there's anything we can count on, it's angry idiots with a bone to pick.

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast