FPVLAB

Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: So what if you're confronted by an angry bystander?

This is a very relevant topic - so I'll open it back up. Issues like this are happening to more and more people. I think it happens to more and more people because the numbers of operators is skyrocketing, yet the amount of experience per operator is going down.

With that said, please act like adults in here. If you're not an adult - can you pretend to be while you're here? Also - if there are problem posts... the report button is there for this and it works and will notify the mods - you don't have to email me directly to get attention where it needs... although I do welcome the communication from any user here. PLAY NICE guys... that's why I created this place.

Go fly something.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    With that said, please act like adults in here.
    And in real life. Most problems can be solved by taking the high road. It may pain you to do so, but it really makes the person taking the low road look like an ass.
    "You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve"
    Kid Rock

Navigator
    I also love and fly "drones" (hate that word) of my own in both multirotor and fixed wing variety, but would definitely frown upon someone hovering over my back yard. Not too long ago, one of my co-workers was telling me about a "drone" that flew onto his property and was down at head level basically "looking around". He said he knew the operator was watching him because when he pointed a gun at the it (with no intention of actually shooting it) it took off. I told him he should keep 8-10 feet of small rope around and if it happens again, just toss the rope into the props, then just sit back and wait for someone to come looking for it.

^ t-shirt works wonders....

or your pants.

I actually had my first "bad" encounter today. We had a get together at a friends apartment and I brought my 5" quad and went outside with one of the lads to let him have a first go over the fields behind the settlement. He had more trouble keeping the quad under control than I imagined, first he flew almost out of range but luckily found his way back. When he did however, he crashed into a tree, under which a guy was sitting on the bench. I admit it was close, but he dodged and probably wouldn't have been hit anyway.

Understandably, he was quite pissed. So while I was telling my friend to let me do the talking, the guy had already grabbed my quad and thrown it into a stream behind the bench. I quickly ran to recover the quad and luckily the battery got disconnected during the crash, so the battery didn't go in the river and the quad wasn't powered while under water. I hope it will turn on tomorrow.

Anyway, I apologized to the guy saying that it was my friend's first time and that he unfortunately lost control. He wasn't immediately convinced and said that it was dangerous and irresponsible and that he could have lost an eye.. which is true I guess, it wasn't the most responsible thing to do, but then again there is a reason why I need to have an insurance for stuff like this to fly legally. And I was flying legally. Eventually, I kept calm and the guy, cooled as well.. probably because of the other bystanders (even though they were on his side, but also disapproved of the guy throwing my quad in the stream). So basically, I apologized again and said we would be leaving now and we shook hands and everything was fine for him and me. No cops no bullshit. Europe way of solving things, i guess lol.
    Last edited by Xaser; 31st March 2017 at 07:13 PM.

^ Here's a little advice ... always have spare goggles and/or monitor for people to watch. That disarms them almost immediately.

Also - when I was reading your post.. as soon as I saw "a friend's apartment" I was like "lol... here we go." There's usually better spots to fly than apartments regardless of where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    ^ Here's a little advice ... always have spare goggles and/or monitor for people to watch. That disarms them almost immediately.

Also - when I was reading your post.. as soon as I saw "a friend's apartment" I was like "lol... here we go." There's usually better spots to fly than apartments regardless of where you live.
    Well.. the next time I let a rookie fly my quad, I'm going to ensure a proper teacher-student setup. That was the main problem really, I had really no chance to intervene.

And well.. friends apartment... we walked a bit to get away from the settlement so there really was enough space and the chance that the quad would hit right that spot over the bench were microscopic. But also that happens, i guess.

After 4 years of flying FPV I guess I had my first "angry bystander".

I was in Florida visiting another FPV flier (he's here on FPVLab as well) and we went to go get some shots of a lighthouse with my Mavic. The lighthouse is privately owned and they're not very keen on "drones" flying around the property. So we went down the street and launched from the backside of the local skate park, so I can go in high, get the shot, then come back and get out of there. I take off and my buddy is acting as my spotter. En-route to the lighthouse I hear my spotter having an animated conversation with someone but I can't make out what they're saying.. anyway I got the shot, came back and landed. My spotter had wandered off a ways, I went and found him, it turned out the other guy was a skater in the park, he flipped out when he saw us flying the Mavic and accused of being "feds" who were there to either arrest him illegally or spy on him. The spotter just kind of wandered away and let the angry guy follow him so I could fly in peace.

Weird.

Since starting out in FPV in 2013 so far I've had one guy in a boat who flipped my Penguin off and another guy who accused my spotter of gang-stalking him. That's not too bad I guess.
    There's no place I can't be / Since I found FPV / But you can't take the sky from me

Quote Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
    ...and accused of being "feds" who were there to either arrest him...
    That's a good start! "Yes, Sir. You are arrested. Pls go home, pick your toothbrush, and go instantly to the next police station. Be aware: We are taking care of you, with our taser equipped drone."
    ---> Let's make the Lab great again! <---

Caipi 2 / Strix Goblin / RVJet / Mini Race Wing / Mini Talon
    Copters from Whoop to XClass

I actually gave up on the hobby about uhhhh three years ago when all the drone paranoia made me just too worried about being assaulted/arrested/harrased or whatever. There was even a story in the paper about a local club flyer who was physically attacked and the attacker also attempted to steal his plane because he had strayed out of the field and near the guy's house. No wonder, the club fields here are tiny... I'd feel like I was flying around in a sardine can myself. Anyway... I tried to just find other hobbies, but each morning when the weather was just right, I'd feel that same mad need to fly, and I'd end up spending half the day quietly grieving over it. Another part of the reason I stopped was because one by one, all my places became unusable due to a surge in construction across my entire region, plus now of course with the FAA laying down so many rules, a lot of my favorite places now fall inside a massive 6 mile radius no fly zone around SWFL International. Six miles *radius*, 12 mile diameter! Just the same, another fit of grieving for my lost hobby hit me recently, and I decided **** it, I'm getting a Mavic. At least I can take off from almost anywhere with that thing, unlike my plane. I'll be pulling the trigger on the order in just a couple of days, and I found at least one good place to fly from that I never used before because it's not really a good place for the plane, but it should be great for that Mavic.

So anyway... This thread is about experiences with people and cops, right? I met lots of people during the years that I flew FPV, and most of them were old farts on bikes wanting to see the view from my plane. One young guy pulled over next to me as I was just emerging from a sawgrass congested field doing the walk of shame with my crashed plane, and asked me a bunch of tech questions about the aircraft, how I'd built it and what it could do. Another older guy talked with me for a long time, telling me how he was involved in the early days of military drone development. When I was first learning to fly, a cop showed up and asked me to leave the area, saying it was private land, and though it killed me to do it (the place was PERFECT), I cooperated without so much as a frown. After some months, the place opened up again due to the construction of a large community there, and I started flying at the edge of the huge construction site. One day, I pulled up to find it teeming with powered paraglider pilots, and we spent the morning flying together, which was frickin amazing. Not long after that, I had my second encounter with cops. A single county sheriff car pulled up with two officers in it, and they explained to me that I was not to fly over the construction site. I told them I would just fly up and down the road, and they waited for me to get airborne so they could have their proof that I was going to keep my word. Funniest thing, they parked right into my takeoff path, so not knowing what else to do I just took off right over their cruiser, lol. They pulled out a moment later, and I followed them from high up as they drove off down the road.

Once the drone paranoia exploded across the country, I became more and more worried about flying around ANYONE, and so I found other places. On one of those, I had a hard crash that took me out for the day (it was REALLY windy) and just as I was carrying the busted plane back to the car, two Sheriff cars came hauling ass up the roadway and parked about 100 feet from me. They never got out... Just sat there eyeballing me as I packed up my shit and left. They followed me out, and that was that. I flew my scratchbuilt quad there just one time after that, and maybe once or twice in other places, and that was the last I ever flew anything beyond a little quad in my backyard in the last three years. I learned something about flight in all that time - if it's really in your blood, it's there forever. It's part of me, can't turn it off, and it forever aches to be set free again.

NR417
    Last edited by NightRunner417; 19th July 2017 at 10:19 PM.

Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast