Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: STOP THE UHF INTERFERENCE FROM YOUR GO-PRO CAMERA(s)

You guys are silly!

Buy a can of zinc spray at the automotive shop, this is meant to leave a coat of conductive zinc on unprotected steel parts to prevent rusting. Take the camera apart, spray the insides of the plastic case, two or three coats, don't lay it on thick, then two coats of clear coat, or for the girly pilots (yes, Hans, that includes you) some fruity color. Now put back together again and you're done. Ideally you want to leave a spot bare and glue in a piece of wire with conductive epoxy and hook that to ground and you're good to go.

Now your GoPro doesn't look like you're a wannabee NASA engineer with a coppertape covered camera, unless that's the look you're after of course ...

Why I share these gems of info? Just because I love you guys, hugs and XXXs all the way from the Netherlands.
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    No - you don't have to ground it - it's overkill. I mentioned in the video that I tried aluminum tape and it's not as effective AT ALL.
    videos suck on mobile so i havent had the chance to watch it. thanks for clarifying.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
    Now your GoPro doesn't look like you're a wannabee NASA engineer with a coppertape covered camera.
    Part of me does like the Lunar Lander look I think a NASA logo where the gopro logo used to be would really bling it up!!
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Yeah - and when you crash your Gp2 and you've had the case off good luck w/ the warranty. I've sent one inoperable Gp2 (after I smashed it into the concrete - LOL) back to GP and they didn't mind the copper tape on it at all. Also - there is no real point in grounding a faraday cage for this application. The numbers of the "non-grounded" copper tape speaks for itself really.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Also - copper is more conductive than zinc... metals that are more conductive are more effective for shielding - so silver > copper > gold > aluminum > nickel > zinc. So all of you rich people can do this with pure silver tape - LOL.

Now - if the "conductive zinc" uses say SILVER to add to it's conductivity I'd guess that it could compete with the copper as far as effectiveness. BUT, that would also raise the price of the spray.

You also can't make a "flap/door" out of spray to cover the more noisy card slot - but you can make a "flap/door" out of tape.

Alright it seems I need to put my teacher's hat on once more.

The permeability of a material by electromagnetic fields is a function of frequency, or rather the frequency of e-magnetic field you're trying to shield your device from determines what material is most suited. For the high frequencies we're dealing with here thin copper or sheet metal (tinned) should work just fine. There's two effects you can benefit from in this case, it is the dissipation of the induced e-magnetic field into heat by Eddy currents in the shield, due to the skin effect a low resistance is key, copper does very well here, and the 'bending' of the e-magnetic field to follow along the surface of the shielding material and not protruding outward or 'through' it, for low(er) frequencies (Mu-)metal is used that predominantly has the latter effect.

On many commercial devices you'll see copper coated sheet metal shields, as that combines the best of both worlds. However RFI coatings are also used on many plastic cell phone parts, either to shield or tune/adjust the antenna's in terms of radiation pattern. These RFI coatings typically feature a nickel/zinc, graphite or silver compound that provides the conductive surface. These spray on coatings can be just as effective as wrapping in copper tape, so it all really depends on the application. Due to the need to have the lens, LCD, SD slot and button holes open, a GoPro will never be dead quiet, however it certainly will help.

I would however always suggest to ground the shield. For the simple reason that you want a return path for the induced currents of the electromagnetic field you're shielding from, so in this case tie the shield to the GoPro's negative battery terminal. If you really want to 'shut up' the GoPro I would also encourage you to wrap around a ferrite ring at least a few times any cables attached to it. That's typically more effective than shielding as the RFI is carried via the cables which are a vastly superior transportation mechanism than via an e-field. The latter drops in strength by 6dB with every doubling of distance from it, hence putting your GoPro at 10 cm rather than 5 cm from your UHF Rx will have a significant effect.

So, copper shield certainly helps, but my money is on the ferrite rings if you've got it hooked into the system for battery charging or live video (you didn't right?), if it is powered by its own battery then obviously the ferrite rings won't help you, so in that case shielding certainly will if you see reduced range because of it. However keep in mind that creating more distance between the GoPro and your sensitive electronics can be just as effective.
    Last edited by ssassen; 29th March 2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar, damn tablet

As far as I can tell - the EMI from the GoPro doesn't have a charge... so there would be no point in grounding it w/ a ground wire... unless of course one uses their GoPro as a flight cam and connects it to the harness/OSD - in which at that point I would laugh at you.

And yes - I would still laugh at you even if you are SUCCESFULLY using it as a flight cam.
    Last edited by SENTRY; 29th March 2013 at 04:23 PM.

Now there's a thought, a GoPro as a flight camera, why didn't I think of that before? Then I don't need that pesky 2nd camera anymore, sweet!

hahahah - precisely. Weight reduction FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
    Now there's a thought, a GoPro as a flight camera, why didn't I think of that before? Then I don't need that pesky 2nd camera anymore, sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    hahahah - precisely. Weight reduction FTW!
    Don't know if you guys know this... being new and all... but you can get a box called DVR (Damned Video Recorder) and "tape" your flights video using a lightweight security camera, no need for big brick videocamera.
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast