Thread: How to record FPV video straight to SD card

Navigator

Question How to record FPV video straight to SD card

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to RC and I'm now looking at getting some FPV gear and I've settled on the HS1177 camera. I'd quite like to record my flights which would usually mean having a second camera (I don't have the space) or recording the transmitted video (transmission can introduce noise) but is it possible to record the footage to an SD card before sending it through the transmitter? I imagine that if it is possible it's a more complicated than what I've drawn but I was hoping for something along those lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FPV camera recording.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	65611

I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything so sorry if this has been asked before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FPV camera recording.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	65610  

Usually we put DVR after receiver on the ground not with the camera.

If you want it on the rig then you could get one of the Fatshark Pilot cameras and just give it power but you don't have to send the signal anywhere. It can be setup to start recording when it gets power or sees motion. It is super light weight and can be placed almost anywhere. I keep one with a small 3s lipo and immersion video tx in my box to make any setup an FPV rig in minutes. http://www.getfpv.com/fatshark-pilot...-recorder.html
    Last edited by charles hidalgo; 24th August 2015 at 03:04 PM.

Hi Andycb,

First off... Welcome to the LAB

you can hook it up just about any way you want to ... but it is usually a good practice to keep things as simple and as light as possible on the aircraft itself as this will give the best performance in quality of flight and video. The FatShark Pilot series cams are great for weight and simplicity if you go that route, having a card recorder on the ground also makes it a lot easier 'when' you lose the aircraft... as it will give you a video record of your exact position when you go looking for it... very handy in my experience

Quote Originally Posted by Andycb View Post
    but is it possible to record the footage to an SD card before sending it through the transmitter? I imagine that if it is possible it's a more complicated than what I've drawn but I was hoping for something along those lines.
    You would need to add an on-board SD based DVR bridged across the video/audio, while looping through is possible I wouldn't do so because if the DVR fails for any reason, you will lose video to the transmitter, if it is bridged all you will lose is the recorded video. Of course you will need the space and lift capacity to add such a device.

http://www.supercircuits.com/single-...64-dvr-mdvr14h

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Navigator
    Thank you everyone for the information. @Charles Hidalgo, I did briefly look at the fatshark pilot cameras but I didn't hear very good things about them. I think I'll go for having a recorder on the ground as it seems a bit simpler than having an on board DVR.

@RonSII I hadn't thought about finding my quad if I crash but having a video of where it went seems pretty handy

Yeah I like the ground side better but I have used the fatsharks without problems. I just suggested because it seemed you wanted something in the bird side. I also always fly with a GPS tracker and it's found my rigs twice over 3 miles out within 20 feet.

Navigator
    A low cost solution can be this one :
    an OTG cable ~ 1$ on ebay
    the Android applications can be found free...