FPVLAB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new guy here needs Input cheap system will work with my 2.4 radio system DX7

Banned

New guy here needs Input on cheap FVP system

New here talked to Sentry today, Seen his cool wing today, I just want a cheap system where I can watch it on a laptop and fly while my gf or anyone else could see what the plane see's mostly just for fun and maybe spot airplanes that went down in the woods, lol. he said there were systems out there to be had for cheap so I need to be pointed in the right direction, thanks for any and all info,links,ideas.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Epoweredrc; 4th September 2011 at 07:46 AM.

Forum Member
    There is a cheap ($63?) 5.8ghz system on hobbyking that should work fine with 2.4ghz, just don't expect amazing range.

Forum Member
    I would suggest to try to use 72mhz for rc control. . . Many Many people have had R/C lockout Crashes using 2.4 for control.
    If you do decide to use 2.4ghz with the spektrum radio for control do EXTENSIVE range testing with the video system turned off. . then see if your range is reduced when you turn the video system on.
    You can find them pretty cheap if you look around a bit.

Banned
    I been flying on 2.4 for years rather not go back to 72 so your saying no matter what ghz the video is on people still have issues with 2,,4 radio systems?
    i am not wanting to go that far, not even really out of eye sight. less then a mile i would say.

In FPV going "back" to 72 is really going "forward" as we discussed yesterday. I would not put a plane that I wanted to get back in one piece on 2.4 for RC. The recommendations stem from 100s of people who try it and end up with a lost or broken plane.

Make sure you read this thread : http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....TO-FPV-SUCCESS
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Forum Member
    Lol another Atlanalien. Welcome Chris! As far as we're concerned this is your thread, ask any questions you want.

That said check out the link Pilotkeeg provided, get the basics of antenna types down and what freq you want and KISS (keep it simple stupid!)
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=55
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=436
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=200
    http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HLT71-7-.../dp/B001E78UQY

thats a pretty simple setup with quality components you can still use when you expand. Just add a power source and you should be good to go.
    Some fly for attitude, others for altitude

Forum Member
    I think most of the problems regarding 2.4GHz is with Spektrum users.

In my experience I haven't had a problem with Futaba FASST 2.4GHz and 1.3GHz VTx. 5.8GHz should not pose more problems. However since Epoweredrc is already using Spektrum and need to change I guess the "older" techs would also work. I just have bad experiences with the limited amount of channels on 35MHz (in Sweden 35MHz is used instead of 72MHz).

Forum Member
    woops, didnt see you were on 2.4ghz. better switch those rx/tx to 1.2 or 5.8 or your gona be in a world of hurt
    Some fly for attitude, others for altitude

Forum Member
    The 5.8ghz system that Volto linked is a good system. With the stock antennas its pretty crappy, but upgrade to CP antennas and it's quite good. I fly to 1km regularly with it.

Don't cheap out though just to "watch it on a laptop and fly while my gf or anyone else could see what the plane see's mostly just for fun and maybe spot airplanes that went down in the woods"

As soon as you start looking at that laptop it's going to be harder and harder to turn back and pretty soon you'll be addicted.

I crashed my first plane with a DX6i and I would still have it today if I was on 72mhz. I started scouring craigslist and picked up a 6 channel 72mhz Futaba for $40. It's not just about long range, but the fact that 2.4 will be blocked and goes into lock-out. When I crashed it was only about 500 feet from where I was standing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    The 5.8ghz system that Volto linked is a good system. With the stock antennas its pretty crappy, but upgrade to CP antennas and it's quite good. I fly to 1km regularly with it.

Don't cheap out though just to "watch it on a laptop and fly while my gf or anyone else could see what the plane see's mostly just for fun and maybe spot airplanes that went down in the woods"

As soon as you start looking at that laptop it's going to be harder and harder to turn back and pretty soon you'll be addicted.

I crashed my first plane with a DX6i and I would still have it today if I was on 72mhz. I started scouring craigslist and picked up a 6 channel 72mhz Futaba for $40. It's not just about long range, but the fact that 2.4 will be blocked and goes into lock-out. When I crashed it was only about 500 feet from where I was standing.
    I still own 72 mhz rx's and I have a hitec radio I could use. just thought was video systems that I didn't need to use 72 with, i guess i miss understood. so you guys fly on 72mhz way far out of site w/o issues? the thing about 72mhz that scare me for radio is that interfrence. I have got glitches on it before and you never know who else might be on it. at the PCMA club we have had some issues with a certain few channels over the year me and three other guys had crashes due to glitches on one channel think it was channel 15.

so okay dummy it down for me, what all do you need to do this?

A camera

A rx for the camera

something to plug into the laptop ( forgot what is the name of it?

guess the camera also needs a TX? to pick up signal on the ground? please i do not understand yet how it all works.

so if i got this.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mera_NTSC.html

what else would I need?

The gold box goes on the plane?
    the silver one plugs into the laptop?
    please all info is good.
    Last edited by Epoweredrc; 31st August 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast