Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fatshark DIY Mask

Fatshark DIY Mask

Hello everyone,

I really like my old Fatshark aviators because of the large FOV, but i don't understand why they can make good goggles but in a stupid mask.
    I never really liked the fatshark mask, the foam coming off, fogging up when it is cold and i never got it to fit exactly so it is time for a Fatshark "rebuilt"

I talked to Rob about it and he told me he could make a fine mask for me, well he did indeed so here is a build for my Fatshark mask, he is not finished yet but i will keep you updated.

To start.

First you need to take your Fatshark apart, it is not difficult but you have to be a bit carefull.
    Take the foam of and turn upside down to remove the two screws

When you take the two parts apart be carefull because they are locked together in the center, i forgot to make a good photo of it.

Next you take the small screw in the center of the print out

Lift the print up carefully and you will find two more screws there

Take them out and carefully take the Kopin unit out, put the screws back in so you don't lose them

Now Carefully turn the Kopin unit upside down and remove the connector that is attached to the board

Put the Fatshark mask back together and if you ever want to sell it in the Original state you can simply put the kopin back in and you will have youre Original back.

Oké, so now we have the Kopin unit we want.

But we need some more because i want 5,8 RX, headtracking and of course video in if i want to be directly wired to my GS.

So here we go
    5,8 RX

Headtracking from the arduino diy project on rcgroups, works very well.

Power supply for the RX and Kopin

And of cours Rob's very nice mask.

First get kopin to work, i want the
    power for my goggles from my Radio. I have a 3s lipo in there with enough power and since i am going to need a wire from the radio for my headtracker i might as well power it from there but i am going to build an option so i can power it with a seperate 3s lipo.

Let's hook it up and see how it works.

We have static

The right channel and we have a image

I forgot to tell that you have to screw the kopin to a plate in my case some ply which i will make black for final installation.

Now first let's install the 5,8 rx, the advantage of the fatshark is that you can switch it with a 2,4 rx if you like so you can use both

Now i want to be able to switch the rx on and off if i want to use a cable to my GS so there has to come a switch

The power supply for the rx and kopin.

And the last part for tonight the connector for external cable

The story will continue in a couple of days

Addy

Oké, part two

First thing that had to come in is my DIY headtracker, i really love flying with a tracker it gives much more feeling and i think it's easyer flying if you can look around and be able to see landmarks without having to turn youre plane.

And here he is inside my mask.

Now i need a cable from my radio to my goggles for power and my headtracker but i want it with a connector so i can use a seperate battery if i want

This works very well, the cable needs to be pulled quit hard if you want to get it out

Now i want to be able to switch the tracker on and of so if i am not using it or i need to callibrate i can switch it off. So a second switch is in place.

Now it is time to solder the whole thing together.

And finally put the kopin unit in there.

The kopin unit is screwd in so if necesary i can take the whole thing apart. The headtracker and bec are both held in place with (velcro it what you call it in english?) we call it klittenband in the Netherlands. The rest is also held in place with screws.

Now this is the final looks

Tested everything here at home, tracker works fine, rx works fine both can be turned on and of, external works so i can plug him direct into my groundstation and best part.
    He fits so nicely, there is no way you can compare this with a normal FatShark mask, finetuning on the kopin needs to be done but that is done on the field.

I'll get back as soon as i have been flying and give some results.

Hope more people have use for this build and if you have questions feel free to ask.

Addy
    Last edited by Addy; 1st April 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Oké, been flying for a while now with my mask and i must say it is a relief.
    No more fogging up, no more liners coming off it's perfect for me know, the receiver and the tracker both work great.
    Here is a video showing headtracker movement, the video itself has been taken from my groundstation because i don't have a video out on the goggles.
    enjoy

Last edited by Addy; 30th April 2013 at 05:22 PM.

Navigator
    WOW, already looks amazing !!!! Top work!

Subscribed ! Precisely addresses same issues I have.

Wouldn't a bnc connector work better for video as it will LOCK into place and won't pull out

I prefer a connector that doesn't lock, When i am hooked up to my groundstation i am Always sitting next to it so no one can walk between me and my groundstation.
    And if for some reason someone is going to walk there and pull on the wire i think it is better that it get's pulled out, if you have a connector that is locked you're goggles will be pulled of youre head or he will pull the whole groundstation upside down.

Impressive build!

I am rather surprised though that you didn't just do the standard "Ski Goggle Mod" that so many others have done. Just take the strap off of the Aviators and then mount the entire goggle assembly directly onto a mask. Although your solution is nice looking.

Also, is that Rob from FPVPlastics? It looks like his ski mask setup.

With the standard ski mask mod there is no room for a 5,8 rx and a headtracker and you can't power it from youre radio so i decided to build it completly up from the ground.
    This way you can "personalize" it to you're own needs wich in my case is 5,8 and headtracking.
    And it is Rob from FPVPlastics that made the mask for me, we talked about it for a while and he made one for me with a flat bottom so there is room to mount stuf.
    Hope to resume building tomorrow.

Addy

Quote Originally Posted by Wearyman View Post
    Impressive build!

I am rather surprised though that you didn't just do the standard "Ski Goggle Mod" that so many others have done. Just take the strap off of the Aviators and then mount the entire goggle assembly directly onto a mask. Although your solution is nice looking.

Also, is that Rob from FPVPlastics? It looks like his ski mask setup.

hi

what do you mean whit standard "Ski Goggle Mod"

rob