FPVLAB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balancing props is a real PITA. Isn't there any descent prop balancer out there?

Quote Originally Posted by paintz2007 View Post

+1 super sensitive....i have found something supposedly balanced on the dubro to be out of balance on the topflite one. The dubro works best when there is more weight on the shaft. when the shaft is too light it sometimes does not over come the friction to turn the wheels
    Fpv - it makes my sticker peck up!

Yup saw it after my post.. haha reply first read later :-)

Navigator
    I'm not sure.. all I know is it's under 400ft
    I learned the Du-Bro is for large heavy props and wheels... not small lightweight 4in to 8in props and there's no reason to stop the accuracy at that size. Du-Bro needs to make a magnetic small prop balancer using their straight shaft with a polished sharp rounded end and 3 sets of magnets to match the size and weight of the prop as a small prop requires a less powerful magnet to reduce friction at the end of the shaft. For getting the hub balanced you need a very sensitive balancer and the best I've found so far is the cheap HK balancer that comes apart and has lightweight hollow cones on a short straight threaded shaft.... can detect a tiny piece of tape the Du-Bro doesn't even notice many times it size but it could be made even better and more sensitive AND larger.

I gave away my Du-Bro and use the smaller magnet balancer

KG5BBF AMA#954079

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    I own both, a Top Flite magnetic balancer and a DuBro balancer. When I first bought the magnetic one had the same thought, that the magnetic one should be more sensitive on smaller props due to lower friction, but I actually prefer the DuBro. I think maybe the shaft straightness tolerance on the magnetic one is not held as tight, or maybe the plastic cones are not balanced... and I can never seem to get as good a balance with it as I can with the DuBro.

here's a good comparison to show what I mean:

I'm sure there are other better magnetic balancers out there maybe with aluminum lathe-cut cones, but IMO the DuBro is the way to go between these two.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinWalk3r View Post
    +1 super sensitive....i have found something supposedly balanced on the dubro to be out of balance on the topflite one. The dubro works best when there is more weight on the shaft. when the shaft is too light it sometimes does not over come the friction to turn the wheels
    If you are finding that it doesn't move when balancing lighter props, just take 2 fingers and tap on the end of the balancer, that will kick it out of the static friction regime and into kinetic friction which is lower. Works great.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12