FPVLAB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FPV max resolution?

Navigator
    Im interested in this subject. I have done some experiments and it is a can of worms. It is a very subjective evaluation for the measurement of effective resolution of the camera - video link- display/monitor combination.

Standard definition SD TV broadcast signals have international standards for NTSC 720H and 480V resolution and PAL 720H and 576V resolution. The V vertical resolution is set by the number of scan lines and is fixed. The horizontal H resolution is variable and is to do with the quality of the scanned lines to differentiate fine detail in the original image.

IEEE has specified some subjective charts to evaluate the horizontal resolution of the camera and the display/monitor to differentiate the horizontal resolution. I have attached the chart. This is a home scanned image of the high quality print of the chart and saved as a compressed *.jpg file. The scanned image was *.bmp and is a 20MB file so is not uploaded here as a attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TVL IEEE resolution chart.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	50707  

Navigator
    Take 2. I have rotated the chart the right way up. You can check the horizontal TVL for the scaned image on your PC display. When the vertical merging lines can no longer be resolved it is the H TVL limit. That is, when the the merging vertical lines turn grey it is the max resolution of your display expressed in TVL. I can get to around 700 - 800TVL from the scanned image on my HD LCD PC. The chart has 4 smaller circle and these used to check centre screen and the 4 corners for linearity and focus.

When I manually focused the PZ0420 onto the chart in good lighting ( outdoor daylight ) and displayed the image on my 7 inch monitor 800 x 600 pixel and also my goggles 640 x 480 I cannot get anywhere near the same H TVL. You can try this experiment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TVL IEEE resolution chart 2.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	50709  

Navigator

Dominator HD - a waste for analog signal?

So with all said above and especially radialmind's lengthy explanation.. is it correct to assume that I won't be getting a better resolution image with the Dominator HDs (which can display 800x600) than I am with my AIO goggles that do 640x480 no matter what camera I use (PZ0420 and above) since the TX is the bottleneck that won't even handle a full 640x480 resolution due to limited bandwith of the TX?

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer21 View Post
    The short answer seems to be "NO". With our current 20mHz channel spacing, the difference betweena genuine 600 and a genuine 800 tvl camera would not be visible.

Incorrect, standard 4.5 MHz baseband analog video can resolve up to about 1000 TVL camera.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Navigator
    Thanks, Wayne. I was hoping that was the case.
    FPV transmitters use PAL or NTSC encoding with 720x576 or 720x480 resolution. How can these devices pass 800x600 resolution to the Dominator HD goggles provided there is a camera that is feeding the transmitter with at least 800x600 resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    Incorrect, standard 4.5 MHz baseband analog video can resolve up to about 1000 TVL camera.

Wayne

You're still limited to the pal/ntsc 576/480 scan lines.

Quote Originally Posted by RonSII View Post
    You're still limited to the pal/ntsc 576/480 scan lines.

To a point scan lines are irrelevant to TVL.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

I know

Navigator
    I'm not sure.. all I know is it's under 400ft

Bandwidth Rule of Thumb

Hay great info... looks like some work needs to done on the "rule of thumb". Thanks for sharing....

So I am trying to wrap my ahead around this. At the end of the day, I want the very best picture I can get with an analog signal and with a reasonable budget. That's why I FPV..........for the 1st person view!

I use 1.2ghz. What is the very best resolution I can expect?
    What is the biggest monitor I could use to view this resolution?

Currently I have a:

12.1" 800x600 screen from Hobby Wireless. http://hobbywireless.com/video-monit...or-p-1068.html

Foxeer XAT600 Sony Super HAD CCD 600TVL FPV IR Block Camera http://www.surveilzone.com/fpv/fpv-c...era-2.8mm-lens

Any help would is appreciated. My apologies for not grasping this right away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast