FPVLAB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FPV max resolution?

Navigator
    Thanks for these great details about FPV resolution!

Sorry for coming back to this "old" thread. But I have heard from the news Fatshark DominatorHD FPV google coming out in April 2013. Do you suggest that this is a solution that makes sense to go with?
    As I understand, resolution i.e. with goPro and liveOut and Immersion RC Tx will only be 640x480 due to the analog signal - so the sharpness with the new Fatshark Dominator HD goggles will not be very good?

get the new DJI lightbridge and you'll be FPV-ing at 1080p/30fps like me!

Navigator
    Which goggle are you using?

EEngineer Student
    Thanks! this is awesome! I actually understand where they get their numbers from now.

Navigator
    It's funny, I feel like the original question has not been answered...

"What is the max resolution camera that makes sense to have?" Using normal tx/rx but high resolution monitor, will someone see difference between a 600 and a 800tvl camera?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
    It's funny, I feel like the original question has not been answered...

"What is the max resolution camera that makes sense to have?" Using normal tx/rx but high resolution monitor, will someone see difference between a 600 and a 800tvl camera?
    The short answer seems to be "NO". With our current 20mHz channel spacing, the difference betweena genuine 600 and a genuine 800 tvl camera would not be visible.

However there seems to be some questionable specs published with these cameras. According to some posts on another forum, people who have plugged them straight into an HD tv and then counted the lines by hand have found some cameras with significantly fewer than the claimed 600 TVL. So maybe one would see a difference, simply because you are now getting the full 600 TVL.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunmed View Post
    get the new DJI lightbridge and you'll be FPV-ing at 1080p/30fps like me!
    can u share the camera and fpv equipment specs you are using??

why: (640 * 480 * 30 / 2) * 3 = 13.8 MHz.
    what is the divided by 2, is that composite always refresh every other line in one refresh frame?
    i am guessing the 3 is three prime color.

Navigator
    It's a rule of thumb, so no hard science.

Baseband video (the actual video signal that runs through your yellow connectors) is 4-6 MHz. If you multiply 640*480*25/30, you get 8-9 MHz, which is about 2 times as much as the actual bandwidth of the signal. So that's why it's very roughly divided by 2.

The factor 3 is because of channel spacing. There are higher frequency components in the signal ( > 6 MHz ) that you need to remove. High pass filters aren't perfect and have a certain falloff before they manage to extinguish the higher frequency components. That happens around roughly 3 times the bandwdidth of the base band. If you would put another signal immediately after the other, the high frequency components of one signal would interfere with the baseband of the next signal, that's why the spacing is there.

Navigator
    That is why I'm using BEAUTIFUL MacBook Retina to view my FPV!))) LOL, but pic is amazing a specially on 5.8 band, but I don't like the penetration abilities (oh well disabilities) and fly 1.2G =D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast