FPVLAB

Thread: HAM holders - how do you license your equipment?

Forum Member

HAM holders - how do you license your equipment?

Hi,
    what do you do if you hold a ham license and wanna bring your plane through the customs? what do you do if the "channel" or the "frequency" is not available in the country you wanna travel to?

Ideas and reccomendations on the how to's are very welcome in this thread...

Let me know.

Matt

Forum Member
    I have a label on the aircraft with my Ham radio license (keeps it legal in my country). However for international travel, I'd dismantle the aircraft and remove all of the fpv gear and put it in a separate bag. Remember, an FPV system is really nothing more than a wireless security system. There is nothing really suspicious about that... until it is attached to an airplane. Nobody in customs is going to know enough about the equipment to ask questions about legal frequencies for transmission.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

[url]videoaerialsystems.com[/url] - Performance video piloting

Forum Member
    Hi IB,
    Say you wanna shoot videos in another country, like trappy in Turkey or Spain. Spain in that sense is still a euro-currency-country, so there should not be a problem. With Turkey I'm already not so sure anymore. What is possible is to apply for a short term permit if you hold a license. That one costs nothing but the time to plan ahead as is will take time, on the other hand very small money. What makes me frown is that they're most likely gonna ask what equipment to use.
    Your statement is reasonable, "security cams", however there is still a problem with long range RC and 433-440Mhz.

Lastly, airlines feel a little hurt due IATA regulations and lipo batteries. Of course, one can try but imagine these batteries in a cargo-compartment, something shorts, well - maybe they'll never find out - depending on how the aircraft lands.

You see, I'm trying to be safe rather than sorry. But my biggest concern is having the guts to ask: Nobody knows nobody cares! I think no-one of us has any bad intentions but asking questions draws their attention.

Thanks for your idea.
    Thanks Ib,

Dio
    Latest Crafts: The Anti-Gravity-Machine, Carbonator, Guava 2m, Wunderwaffe I, Wunderwaffe II, Uberwaffe, Plankton v2, TBS discovery

Forum Member
    Just put your lipos in a lipo safe bag and put adequate padding around them. Should be fine. The nation's currency doesn't matter, only if they are a member of the ITU (which Turkey is) but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Forum Member
    If you operate on the legal bands within that country, you should be in the clear. Most countries honor HAM licenses from other countries.

For the Lipos, put them in a metal toolbox lined with drywall and individual compartments. Even if they do go up they'll never burn up anything but the battery itself.

-Alex

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    For the Lipos, put them in a metal toolbox lined with drywall and individual compartments. Even if they do go up they'll never burn up anything but the battery itself.
    -Alex
    Hadnt thought of the drywall lining, thats a great idea..

Forum Member
    1/2" dry wall is fireproof for 3 hours. 5/8" is good for 5. I'd like to see a lipo burn that long

I used to be a carpenter a few years ago so I had a lot of experience with dry wall including thowing a sheet on a camp fire to see how long it would hold up. It held up longer than the wood burning underneath it.

-Alex

Forum Member
    thanks for all your input...

Dio
    Latest Crafts: The Anti-Gravity-Machine, Carbonator, Guava 2m, Wunderwaffe I, Wunderwaffe II, Uberwaffe, Plankton v2, TBS discovery

Forum Member
    Hey,
    I think can help you. Last Weekend we flew with our mk with the Lufthansa. They told us that everybody can take 2 lipos in His handluggage.

Maybe this can help.

Forum Member
    Hi schnied,
    that's a good one. I most appreciate that real-life-experience sharing...
    I talked with the Phillipino customs, they state that you have to declare your goods as private use. Then there shouldn't be a problem, even with all the RC equipment. Sing'pore customs are ok, too, but again you have to declare. In that part of the world they are very friendly and unknowing, however, they do care more about the taxes and that you sell your stuff elsewhere. That's what I got out of them by talking when going on a flight. I'm still reluctant to try it out...

Maybe that is of some use for other users in that region.

Regards,
    Dio