Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Before you consider FPV, learn to solder.

What would be the best temps to use? i.e. what temp for 22ga wires for a mini quad motor and what for heavier gauge like 12ga?

The most important is the wattage of your solder iron. 75W and above is the best. With that kind of solder iron you can do everything at 360 C. This is what I use for all my soldering from 10 to 28AWG.
    Cheap solder iron will compensate the lack of power/watt by increasing the temperature which will stress the part you try to solder. Might be fine on little wires and board but it will be harder to use those in ESCs and larger wires.

Another key thing is to have a good solder. Depending of the work I use 60/40 or 63/37 and avoid all silver alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Miami View Post
    The most important is the wattage of your solder iron. 75W and above is the best. With that kind of solder iron you can do everything at 360 C. This is what I use for all my soldering from 10 to 28AWG.
    Cheap solder iron will compensate the lack of power/watt by increasing the temperature which will stress the part you try to solder. Might be fine on little wires and board but it will be harder to use those in ESCs and larger wires.

Another key thing is to have a good solder. Depending of the work I use 60/40 or 63/37 and avoid all silver alloy.
    Well I'm using a "Yihua 936", people says it's a clone of a Hakko but so far it seems to work just fine. Soldered these small mini quad wires and so far no heartbreak. And I'm good on the solder, using 0.6mm 63/37 and for my larger wires 1mm also 63/37
    the motor is 22ga and the esc 20ga
    Last edited by K-Note72; 14th March 2015 at 07:53 PM.

So WNCmotard, what setup did you get? what type of solder do you use? Thank you for your input.

IBcrazy, is there enough wattage in your soldering station? I read that you should have at least 75 watts? Thank you for your thoughts.

Don't touch soldering iron tip while it is on.

Quote Originally Posted by terabyte View Post
    I think the most basic skill you need to master to be successful in FPV is learning to solder. EVERYTHING is going to rely on the weakest solder joint in your bird.

You do not need to know how to solder, or even what solder is to fly FPV.

If I could give one piece of advice to neophytes it would be "Always get a second opinion, and if you're smart get a few more."
    “Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.”
    - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678