Thread: where to use a filter

where to use a filter

after seeing Chicken-sashimis simple filter in his mini-zep I decided to build one on mine as well. The thing is I am going to power my Vtx AND camera off the main batts. So the main leads go to ESC and the balance leads will be used to power the camera(pz0420) and 300 mw vtx. Where do I put the filter ? Just after the balance lead connection before it splits for camera and vtx OR do I give the camera a filter and the vtx another filter ?
    Fpv - it makes my sticker peck up!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinWalk3r View Post
    where to use a filter
    Furnace, your vehicles engine, from the fuel tank to the carb/fuel injection.

Seriously, I don't know on that, never used a filter....
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Funny guy

You would normally put a LC filter right before the device to minimize any stray EMF or noise to be picked up by any long leads. If you want to supply both the camer and vtx, make sure the filter is close to the VTX (sensitive) and then split off the power for the camera (longer lead, less sensitive).

You always want to put a filter after any BEC, ESC, servos or switching regulators to separate/attenuate the power supply noise. There's a few diagrams on this page http://beta.ivc.no/lc_power_filter/installation

I'll chime in, as IVC said, but if you DO filter after a power supply and then run naked wire to the VTX or cam - you could pick noise back up - SHIELD that wire after you filter it.....JMHO.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Pilot
    yup. filter after any non direct battery power source, filter before any components that need it. anything with long wiring that can really pick up noise. low quality servos with long wires are notorious for needing it. VTX's connected in any way with an ESC. GPS's, gopro's. etc.

Navigator
    Anyone have a link for a suitable lc filter?