FPVLAB

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.4ghz Control Megathread - Spektrum, Futaba, FrSky, etc

Yeah there's a lot of reasons not to use 72mhz, I am switching to 2.4 FrSky on at least a few of my planes just because 72 has issues. It's unpredictable and highly susceptible to interference, the antennas are huge and it's hard to get good polarization, and it has a massive fresnel zone. 72 is great for a first time FPV set-up though; in the stock configuration it really is hard to beat the performance, 2+ miles with a 15 year old radio and $20 rx.

Another benefit of 2.4ghz is that we can use badass CP antennas and do crazy stuff like this:
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ll=1#post79848

Good luck building a 72mhz CP antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
    The term fpv hijacking is a first, you are paranoid. Just for the fun of it, let me try to create a not so typical scenario. So I'm flying one mile away and the hijacker's somehow figured out my frequency and his transmitter is slightly closer than mine so he gets control and I don't. Then he somehow trimmed out my beat up ez* and somehow knew the perfect trim settings for my 180degree pan and tilt that took me a while to program on my 9c. You think I wouldn't see my fpv airplane land by someone's house with full gps coordinates? I would report them straight to the police, and chances are its someone I already know from the forums. I'm trying to understand your logic but I just can't accept how you thought this through .
    The Iranians could do it.

Instructor Pilot
    I think intentional hi-jacking is highly unlikely lol... Could happen by accident but with more and more modellers using 2.4ghz it would also seem unlikely.

It is however subject to glitches and interference... I remember when I first switched to 2.4ghz - my models flew so much more smoothly!

That's what makes these frequency hopping 433mhz systems so perfect IMO - the security of 2.4GHz with the range (well in excess actually) of the 72 MHz systems.

DX7s with 2.4ghz booster or uhf?

Ok I will start saying sorry I know I already have a similar post like this, but I wanted to be more specific. Thanks in advance for everyones advice and patience!

So I have a DX7s radio. I want to fly my 450 heli up to 2 miles away reliably, fpv style.

My options seem to be uhf system, or a 2.4 ghz booster for my dx7s. According to Thomas scherrer website " Spectrum DX7SE DO NOT WORK,ONLY DSM MODE; NO PPM OUT MODE NOT EVEN INTERNALLY" Well shit! I allready have a dx7s and cant afford a new controller plus uhf/mods. Idk if uhf is an option for dx7s maybe someone with experience can help?

Also could I get opinions about a mod like this as an alternative to uhf on my dx7s??

I don't need extreme range 2-3 miles reliably with video and controls would be good enough for me to have allot of fun

Thanks in advance guys, this is really addictive and just don't want to spend money on the wrong parts. Ask anything I left out and give advice pls
    Last edited by AforcefulThrust; 17th April 2012 at 01:33 PM.

I would go with UHF because you really can't afford to lose link for a second with these helis. If it was a skywalker or a wing then sure you have insurance with some altitude separating you from death in case of a DX7 2.4ghz failsafe attack. Then again I have no clue about 2.4ghz boosters but I've seen stock spektrums lock out left/right.

you can probably sell the DX7 pretty easily too and recover some $$$
    KK4HDH

UHF

/thread
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Ok so looks like uhf is my only option.. would I be able to use uhf with my dx7s? Its not a regular dx7 so Idk what the differences are with dx7/dx7s and if this would work. Haven't been able to find allot of info on this.

Thx for input guys.

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Quote Originally Posted by AforcefulThrust View Post
    Ok so looks like uhf is my only option.. would I be able to use uhf with my dx7s? Its not a regular dx7 so Idk what the differences are with dx7/dx7s and if this would work. Haven't been able to find allot of info on this.

Thx for input guys.
    http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2011/03/17...ezuhf-or-tlrs/

Thanks I saw that.. but that is for dx7 not dx7s.
    " Spectrum DX7SE DO NOT WORK,ONLY DSM MODE; NO PPM OUT MODE NOT EVEN INTERNALLY"
    I assume that's for dx7s?

so it makes me think ezuhf wont work either... has anyone done it with dx7s? I could always just order ezuhf and if it doesn't work get a new controller...

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    If the DX7se has no PPM out internally, then I would advise a different TX I'm afraid.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast