FPVLAB

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY (5 way) Diversity Controller

Navigator
    Awesome! What receivers are you using?

I am using 2 RC305 that I have taken out of there casing and 2 DIY RX5808 modules.
    I have added a fan in the Rx box to keep airflow up and heat down, without it the temp was getting ho enough to make hot glue go soft again

Hi cardboard_boks, amazing project...! I tried the rar file looking for the schematics but only the arduino ino files are inside. Do you have the circuit files?
    Many thanks and I lookforward to building this in the near future.

- tom

2 files called "my thing" (sorry bad naming convention) and the schematics. They should be sch and pcb type files that will open with PCB Artist.
    As I said earlier you may have to do a little tweaking of the schematics during the build, if i can remember back to when I built mine I did a couple of minor tweaks. The circuit is pretty straight fwd anywho so it shouldn't be to hard to figure out.

Any other questions just shout out and I'll do my best to help

Navigator
    Hi... I'd like to take a look at your nice creation however the "code and scehmatics" file is MIA ATM... -
    "Wed Mar 13 06:54:41 2013 The system cannot find the file specified".

Any other link available? - tnx

PS: re new link, thanks, got it. Cheers
    Last edited by It went BANG; 18th March 2013 at 09:23 PM.

cardboard_boks: cool project. I have a question for you. It looks like you fly in a place where there aren't a lot of other pilots so this might not be an issue. Since your antennas are high gain and spread out you have a good chance of picking up other planes (assuming you were around other FPV'ers). I'm wondering if it would be possible to have your system be a little smarter and have two requirements to switch. First you need better RSSI and second you need to see the video sync pulse is at the right time. I realize this is only helping you maybe 90% if you allow for +/-1 frame. But if you could prevent a switch 9 out of 10 times for events that don't happen often that might be a good thing. Might need a button to over ride this.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Quote Originally Posted by It went BANG View Post
    Hi... I'd like to take a look at your nice creation however the "code and scehmatics" file is MIA ATM... -
    "Wed Mar 13 06:54:41 2013 The system cannot find the file specified".

Any other link available? - tnx

Thanx for the heads up, the download still works for me but that may be a dropbox thing

This link should work though

DIY Diversity.zip

Ah yes, file contains 'my things' now. Excellent, I look forward to trying this out.
    @Hucker, after reading more about RSSI-based diversity vs picture frame diversity (a la Oracle) I understood that using CP antennas solves much of this problem. What are your thoughts on this?

CP will eliminate multipath so if that is the problem you are trying to solve then antennas alone will do a lot to fix it. There are other reasons to use diversity though. Some people use transmitters on 2 different frequencies like 5G8 and 2G4 so if there is interference in one band they are good on the other. Or what CB is doing here using diversity to increase beam width of directional antennas.With 5 cross hairs in a circle you could fly 10 miles in any direction with ease.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

A separate but related question: I'm going to try make cardboard_boks' diversity receiver, but I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new VTx (I have the ImmersionRC 600 at the moment). But of course the freq channels are different between the RC308/RC805 and Immersion products. And buying 2 Uno's is pretty steep (never mind 4 or 5 of them to be maximise the capabilities of the diversity setup). I did notice that the 5.8 modules for the Fatshark Dominators are reasonably priced though ~$30. Although not much online about the location of the RSSI pins on the modules.
    I wonder if this is a viable option?
    Any thoughts? or ideas on the RSSI location?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast