Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Radio?

I use DX8 and rangelink, for the last 14months with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Locko View Post
    I use DX8 and rangelink, for the last 14months with no problem.
    ^ Case in point.

[Threads merged]

Futaba 9c is (what I would consider to be) the most desirable, as far as FPV goes. It has plenty of channels, Can fly in 50Mhz, 72Mhz, 2.4Ghz, or 433UHf (in my case DragonLink) Just by swapping the modules.
    Nice strong steady PPM (can be set to PCM as well)
    It has great mixing, good "feel" in the hands, soft sticks, and it easy to operate/program.
    If you are planning on using head tracking in the future, this Tx allows it to be set up stupid easy.

It takes a little bit of effort getting one, since they dont make them anymore, but alot of people are upgrading/updating their old 72 equip in favor of newer tech, not knowing the value that we have for it, can often pick on up for pretty cheap, considering.

Its your scepter of power and control, dont skimp.
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Navigator
    I'll second the Futaba radio. I don't have a 9C, rather I found myself a 10CAP (module version of the 10C). Love this radio almost as much as it's big brother.

Navigator
    If you wana stay close within a mile or so you could prob do well with 5.8... I just priced and purchased a complete 5.8 setup from readymaderc last night including the immersion 8 diversity and attitude goggles and ezosb and 700 res camera for $830 .. But my intention was to go long range... After a month of research and annoying people with hella noob questions i decided to go 5.8 instead of 1.3... Not only cuz the 1.3 prices at about 1500 with all bells n whistles...but the biggest thing i didnt understand was that to go long range you need the ADDITIONAL rc radio transmitter uhf frequency changer as well so that your radio can keep up with the camera sys... Then you need to adapt the fatshark goggles to work cuz they are only plug and play with 5.8... But it isnt difficult just more$... Plus how far away do i really need to crash my plane and have problems.... I might just mount an antennae tracker in my pickup truck and have my buddy drive around if i want longer range... Maybe a bad idea lol ... Plus 5.8 is compatible with other planes at field and gets least interference

Navigator
    Oh and i also just purchased the futaba 10CAG which im extremely happy with... Although i havnt used it yet... But it comes with a 14 ch reciever with diversity... 2antennae that rapidly switch something to do something good lol
    To be specific

Navigator
    Im starting with 5.8 and 2.4 stock on the radio transmitter so i dont have to buy the long range ezuhf and will eventually go for long range after i understand everything

I use a Futaba T7CHP with EZUHF attached. Inexpensive but durable.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pushjerk View Post
    I and many others have DX8 hooked up to an LRS (Dragonlink for me) through the trainer port. It is my understanding, however, that the PPM signal obtained from the trainer port on Spektrum radios is weaker than desirable, as well as inconsistent.

I have heard of folks experiencing system failure while operating their aircraft, both on ground and in air.

I have also heard of nothing but success with this set up. I personally have logged about 12 flight hours, and many many more bench hours, and have not had any signs of intermittent or dropped PPM or any system failure.

It's a risk. I have chosen to accept that risk previously, but am moments away from picking up a 9XR as a dedicated FPV radio.

So is this the reason I've read a lot of posts where people are saying ditch the spektrum gear? I have the dx8 right now and love it for my helis and quad. But I am going to be getting a fpv setup soon and what I've read makes me kind of nervous.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast