Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Radio?

Navigator

Which Radio?

So I'm build a quadcopter using the TBS Discovery body, but want to use the Dragonlink for long range control. What is a good radio to go with? I was looking at a JR X9503, but is that overkill and how well will it work with the dragonlink? I appreciate any and all advise you have. Thank you.

I use a module 9303 for all my fpv stuff, its not overkill at all.

Instructor Pilot
    I also use a JR XP9303. I just finished my project 9x too; http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ject-9x-teaser

The Futaba 9c is pretty much the goto FPV radio though. Just stay away from anything Spektrum, even if using DragonLink

Getting Started with FPV - which radio?

Good afternoon Folks

I plan on getting started with this hobby. After seeing this on youtube, I started saving money to build my own system

I plan on purchasing the "Penguin V2 ARF with M2815 Motor and 60A ESC w/Switchmode BEC" system from ready made RC. I watched IBCrazy's starter tutorials: while he went in depth regarding the video system, he never got into the nuts and bolts of the RC system and what controller to use in order to control your aircraft.

What is a good RC controller to chose from? It seems the Futaba and JR controllers seem to be the most popular. Which is the best if I plan on attaching a LRS (i.e. draggon link) later? What extra pieces of equipment outside the "Penguin V2 ARF with M2815 Motor and 60A ESC w/Switchmode BEC" pack do I need in order for the plane to respond to a selected RC controller?
    Last edited by Maximus; 14th August 2013 at 11:49 PM.

You'll get lots of different opinions on radios! They all have their advantages and disadvantages.. Futaba and JR are both excellent. I fly a JR radio myself. There's also Hitec, Spektrum (DSMX not DSM2), Airtronics, all are good radios. So to get the plane to fly with one you'd need a receiver that matches the brand of transmitter, i.e. Futaba uses Futaba receivers, Spektrum uses Spektrum receivers, etc.
    Most of the big name radios use the 2.4ghz band for control these days. While the 2.4ghz radios are very resistant to interference, and great performers, their range is typically limited to a mile or maybe a little more. So you'll probably want to get an LRS at some point, from what I can tell the major LRS brands work with pretty much all the popular radio brands.
    In my experience a lot of the FPV equipment comes with options for the Futaba radios, if you get a different brand you may have to do some tweaking to get it to work but usually it will.
    Best thing to do is visit the local hobby shop and see which radios feel best in your hand! Also, get as much radio as you can afford. Back when I got started, I made the mistake of purchasing a radio (Spektrum DX6i) that I very quickly outgrew. For FPV and especially if you're interested in multirotors I would plan on using an 8 channel radio. minimum.

Super Welcome to the hobby, and the Lab You're opening up a real can of worms.

Check out this recently started thread, I think this fella wants to pursue the multi rotor side of the house, but much of the advice offered by fellow members very much applies to fixed wing as well:
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....me-flyer/page2

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Glad to see your on the right track! I am always happy to see a new guy admitting he has read and watched many videos and info before buying stuff! And you cant go wrong with the Penguin.
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Navigator

Spectrum Radio Questions

As I said in another post I am just starting FPV - I have my whole system figured out now - I am going to start off with a ready made FPV System but I want it to be in the 1.3Ghz bandwidth and I have a dx8 which operates on 2.4 - which is a harmonic to 1.3 = bad - I am just going to fly around me within a mile - would the PPM signal from the trainer port be strong enough to control from that far away using a EZUHF transmitter?

Thanks for the help!

Regarding radio depending on your budget I would rather recommend a FrSky Tanaris (175$ iirc) or a Turnigy 9XR (50$, get a frsky transmitter module and receiver for it too, thats another 40$)
    They both run a great open source software which is in my opinion way way better than all the other radio's software.
    Both run on 3s lipos and can easily be used with all long range systems later on if you want without having to use an extra battery
    (most newer futabas etc can run max off a 2s lipo)

I and many others have DX8 hooked up to an LRS (Dragonlink for me) through the trainer port. It is my understanding, however, that the PPM signal obtained from the trainer port on Spektrum radios is weaker than desirable, as well as inconsistent.

I have heard of folks experiencing system failure while operating their aircraft, both on ground and in air.

I have also heard of nothing but success with this set up. I personally have logged about 12 flight hours, and many many more bench hours, and have not had any signs of intermittent or dropped PPM or any system failure.

It's a risk. I have chosen to accept that risk previously, but am moments away from picking up a 9XR as a dedicated FPV radio.
    Last edited by Pushjerk; 15th August 2013 at 04:36 AM.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast