I'm going to report my progress on my 60" zephyr build over here:

http://www.radialmind.org/projects/zephyrbuild

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2387.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	2616

Forum Member
    Here are some progress pictures of the build. Explanations and comments are on the webpage.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2397.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	2706  

Forum Member
    Good to see bud, however, it looks like there are a few issues with your web site, it is not formatting correctly in either Chrome or IE browsers which means the text and pictures are sort of all over the place.

It's probably worth just double checking the settings that you have for the site.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers,
    Simon

[I][B]Think it, Build it, Fly it[/B][/I]: www.desirerc.com

Forum Member
    I think it's just either the template or the size of the photos. It only happens in "article list layout" mode or something.

Progress: currently awaiting my video tx... Then doing a last electronics equipment test. Camera + PSU + OSD should already be working. Receiver is working great, very little servo jitter. Because I fix the TX under the laminate, I'll put the heatsink on the safe way, then laminate all round, attach the elevons and that should be it. Next project would probably be related to the ground station, getting a battery setup in there and my RX's, splitter, screen, antennas, DVR and goggles sorted in a nice metal case or something.

Name:	DSC_2787.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	2738

Forum Member
    Cut battery bays last for CG!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M'ck'y View Post
    Cut battery bays last for CG!

FO SHO!!

Forum Member
    Build is practically done! Elevons are ready, just taping them on. Attach pushrods, glue on winglets and this bird is ready to fly.

Name:	DSC_2792.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	2774

Forum Member
    been having success with her or what!?

Forum Member
    Took her for a maiden just today, because I didn't have time before. Trim was off in the first launch, so it went up like a corkscrew and I had to get used to the extreme responsiveness of the elevons. The second launch was better after trim was figured out a bit. It still continued diving down, but then I noticed that the bottom skid plate came loose on the front, creating a large drag surface. On the third launch it started going down, managed to pull out of the dive, but a winglet came off and a prop broke. Overall, nothing to worry about and it's just the first couple of flights to get used to the model and see how it flies.

I launched this by just tossing it lightly at 90% throttle, 20 degrees up, from a static position, holding it by the wingside. It just went, although very shaky in the beginning. Wind force 4 Bft probably helps a little bit here.

Forum Member
    Here's the video of the maiden with all the issues better analyzed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhRZRSVWHKo

Basically:
    - Camera had incorrect bias/level settings, causing a weird kind of white film over it.
    - I think the motor has a slight thrust angle upwards, which contributes to the wing going down all the time.
    - The bottom skid plate came loose in the front, causing a large drag surface there, probably pulling the nose down.
    - Trim was adjusted after first flight. Second flight was already better, but far from perfect.
    - When thrust was down to zero, the wing started behaving a lot better. You can see this in the video in the landing sequence when it zoomed past the car.
    - See current draw in the video parts. It's at 40A at takeoff going down to 25A for normal manoeuvers. Still think that's a bit high. Normal cruise speed should be at 55 or so, with current draw at 15A or so? (correct?).

The last crash seems very bad, but it was ok really. One winglet came off, one prop half got taken off. Fixed soon enough, including the bottom plate and some easing on the aileron expo as well. Next flight may be tomorrow, weather permitting.

Comments and further insights welcome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast