Page 420 of 425 FirstFirst ... 320370410418419420421422 ... LastLast
Results 4,191 to 4,200 of 4246

Thread: TBS CAIPIRINHA - small flying wing

Forum Member
    Which glue can you recommend for the assembly of the caipi 2?

Forum Member
    I use beacon foam tac. It's one of the best glues available for what we do. It's made by RC guys for this purpose. It's similar to goop, but goop will destroy epo, so you don't want to use it. Trappy uses gorilla glue in his video, but I can't fathom why anyone would want to use that messy crap for anything unless you absolutely had to. I could see if you had some large structural gaps that needed to be filled, but otherwise, it's a huge mess and needs to be babied for a half an hour after applying it as it's going to expand and pop out of the seams. Beacon is slightly more expensive than most other glues, but it's a fantastic glue. I use it on anything I can. Be careful when deciding - not everything can be used with epo without softening or outright eating it.

Scott

Forum Member
    I used Goop. The Caip2 is EPP

Forum Member
    Thx ... I saw a build vid on YouTube ... the guy used E6000 ... thatís what I have laying around already ... is this also possible ?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post
    I used Goop. The Caip2 is EPP
    Is it? Wow. Feels like dense epo. Good to know!

Scott

Forum Member
    E6000 and Goop are the same basically

I use welders. It is never coming apart

Forum Member
    They all work great. Welders is great for anything that isn't visible and anything that isn't white. It dries nicotine stain yellow. E6000 and goop are made my the same company and yes, very similar - e6000 is thinner and will self level (and drip easily if used in large gaps), but they dry almost identically. Welders gets pretty hard after a while and the goop family stay very rubbery. Beacon is the most rubbery and can even be used as hinges on its own, though I wouldn't recommend it on anything other than a cheap foamie. None of them are coming apart though built with any of these glues.

Scott

Forum Member
    Well I got a fair amount of work done today (I was home "sick" from work). Here's the equipment I am using

PNP Caipi2
    Edit: HRB 4sx6000 50C lipo (first time trying this brand, cheap and decent reviews)
    MFD AP with current sensor, GPS and airspeed sensor
    TSLRS NR rx with Dipole mod (so it flies nearly as far as the LR one only lacking the diversity antennae which are a pain to install on a small plane)
    Dragon link 433mhz dipole antenna
    IRC 5.8g 600mw raceband Tx with Foxeer 5.8 RHCP antenna
    Foxeer Arrow V3 FPV cam
    Runcam3
    RMRC regulator for 12v (12v for the AP, Tx, fpv camera and sensors)
    LC filter for 12v

New Edit: AUW: 1.76kg (heavier due to getting CG correct with larger LIPO)

In the pictures you might notice I am installing the MFD AP backwards but it was more convenient to do this way since there is a cavity for the cabling in the front of the electronics bay. I just had to widen it some to allow room for the cables to pass around it. (Edit: I also had to make the cavity taller by about 4-6mm upward so I could get the AP in for final assembly.) The AP can be configured to be used in any orientation. I had to remove a rectangle from the balsa so the AP could fit in the electronics bay and use the stock cover.

I am not sure about the GPS location yet. Right now I have it in the opposite electronics bay but it's a little too close to the FPV camera for my tastes. I will do it last and test reception before deciding on a final location.

ps I don't like the GPS near HD cams either, so it wouldn't have mattered which bay I put the AP in, and the place where the Rx is was the best fit for it. So I got locked in to this arrangement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caipi8.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	78118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caip1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	78125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caipi2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	78124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caipi3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	78123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caipi4.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	78122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caipi5.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	78121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caipi6.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	78120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caipi7.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	412.6 KB 
ID:	78119
    Last edited by billyd; 17th February 2018 at 01:55 PM.

Forum Member
    A little more progress today and tonight. Dry fit everything rigged up the electronics and tested everything. Configured the AP and sensors. Glued up the center tray, motor mount and wing halves. I ended up using GOOP but I think E6000 would be easier to use due to the lower viscosity. I think it's best to use a slower curing glue rather than CA, there is a ton of stuff to line up and it might cure too quickly and you might end up with a mess.

To cure with all seams flush, I have the wing laying vertical on one wing edge with the nose supported and the sides (so it doesn't side tip over), with the 4sx5000mah lipo laying on top of the other wing edge. Quadruple checked everything is flush and squared up.

I like to let GOOP cure for the full 48 hours before flying. But I'll be able to work on it again tomorrow, I expect to be finished with the build, unless I get sidetracked on something else.