Thread: Mini 5.8ghz module

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar

Mini 5.8ghz module

Hey Pete, got any feedback on this module?

http://www.sierrarc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=270

Hey Swillhide,

Its a DIY module. Its great if you want a very small true 200mW transmitter for a smaller craft. It does require some good soldering skills. I have tried them with just a wire whip antenna and clover leaf. I got a lot of multipath with just the whip but the clover was great.

They also work great for relaying video from my antenna to ground station. I had some issues with UHF noise on 1280 and used one of these to relay about 50 feet solving the noise issue. If you use them on the ground I suggest you stick a heat sink on it.

These are in the A band so you need to make sure your receiver matches the frequencies. I have the RC305 matching receiver for these as well.

No feedback from any customers yet.

Pete

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Hmm, I might order a couple. I have a couple of small wings that I would love to FPV but can hardly spare weight. Got a wiring diagram?

Quote Originally Posted by SierraRC View Post
    Hey Swillhide,

Its a DIY module. Its great if you want a very small true 200mW transmitter for a smaller craft. It does require some good soldering skills. I have tried them with just a wire whip antenna and clover leaf. I got a lot of multipath with just the whip but the clover was great.

They also work great for relaying video from my antenna to ground station. I had some issues with UHF noise on 1280 and used one of these to relay about 50 feet solving the noise issue. If you use them on the ground I suggest you stick a heat sink on it.

These are in the A band so you need to make sure your receiver matches the frequencies. I have the RC305 matching receiver for these as well.

No feedback from any customers yet.

Pete
    Can you post a pic or two of how you soldered your CP antenna to the chip? I built one of these modules before and didn't have a go-by on how to do this without "creating an antenna" at the solder joint.
    This is how I ended up doing it (not sure it is the best way):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	20923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	20924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	20925
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

No bad for just coax. I soldered an SMA connector to mine. I'll post some more pics and a schematic tonight.

Updated some more pics and a schematic. Let me know if it makes sense.

http://www.sierrarc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=270