Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TEXANS! Call your reps today! Tell them NO on bill HB 912!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallJ View Post
    what if I am shooting at 720/60fps? ouch...
    :/ I record with dual Sony AS10's
    One at 1080p 30fps
    One at 720p 120fps

A 15 min flight would cost me $104M! are they trying to use this as a "financial boost to the economy?"

Chris

Forum Member
    Here's what I sent.

Dear ,
    I have never written to an elected official before, but after reviewing the contents of House Bill 912, I felt compelled to write.

Bill 912 proposes to render the use of private unmanned aircraft or objects a class C misdemeanor under the guise of invasion of privacy. The contents of this bill are vague at best and onerous at worst.

The field of unmanned remote vehicles is an area with tremendous potential for growth in both areas of scientific discovery as well as research for safer methods of automated transportation and air travel. The vast majority of the research being done and technology being developed is conceived of by the local hobbyist and then adapted and acquired by local business and subsequently large corporations (Boeing, etc.)

The entire nature of unmanned aircraft for research or hobbyist efforts requires the use of photographic equipment to maintain the safe control and operation of said vehicles. It would be unwise and unsafe to operate such a vehicle without being able to assess its progress visually. It would also unnecessarily put human lives at risk to test this technology on full scale manned aircraft. As such, this bill makes no reference to any incidental image collection as related to the simple operation of these aircraft. If I fly my research aircraft to an altitude of just a few stories above my own property, I can now see all the surrounding property purely incidentally and with no grievous privacy invasion or otherwise; yet this bill would have me prosecuted and fined for such behavior.

The issues I mention above speak nothing to the obvious legal implications of enforcing a state law within federally governed airspace. The FAA has clear and distinct rules and guidelines that are in direct opposition to what this bill attempts to address. Passage of this law will undoubtedly bring lengthy and ongoing proceedings…

It is imperative that we not hamstring local efforts to further this technology and the immense potential of associated business endeavors by allowing this bill to pass. An issue with such wide ranging implications as this surely deserves much more lengthy discourse in both public and within government.

Thank you for your time!

Forum Member
    NAW... just the same group that thinks one guy has too much money and needs to give it away to those that dont or it is perfectly ok to tax one guy 65% and another 0% on income.... (can you tell I did my taxes last night?)

Have been pretty surprised at the number of people I have met here that are perfectly ok with redistribution of wealth and then have a cow when it costs them "a" freedom.. there are no free rides.. friggen nanny state...

When you live in your parents house and they provide all your needs, you are stuck with their rules... What amazes me on this one is that it is in Texas.. one of the "least" govt states in the country..

I can empathize with the privacy issue all the same .. But I have faith in Texans to blow this out of the water and down the road...
    Actually, no. It sounds more like small-government people who are trying to limit the power of state agencies spying in the country.

I'm going to stick this thread so more people get to see it, anything that hints for more regulation on our harmless hobby is bad for everyone!
    AKA Bonafidepirate

Forum Member
    Just ask the question, "What's harmful about taking video at 100' up, compared with ground level?"

This will all go away when they realize there's no good answer.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    Actually, no. It sounds more like small-government people who are trying to limit the power of state agencies spying in the country.
    Wow, you read my other post and agreed? ROFL...

Forum Member
    The message needs to be "current privacy laws protect against this". If someone flys a quad and hovers outside my bedroom taking video current laws should protect against this. If someone flys FPV at a park or over private land there should be no issue.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    Not sure I agree there. The bill SOLELY calls out private entities and explicitly exempts governmental agencies from being affected by this bill. So actually, exactly the opposite.

Forum Member
    I agree!
    If you are doing something that the people seem bothered. then leave... don't post the video and scratch that part. privacy laws already protect from this so why try to do anything else.

And since when does Texas control airspace?
    By the time they have "authorization" to mandate regulations on your aircraft you are on the ground. Then you are not flying and it is simply a ground based camera on a toy...

Chris

Forum Member
    The state of Oklahoma is looking at this now.. The elected official that brought it up also brought along a pair videos shot by a members here as reason to "why" it is needed..

My insider saw said video and it was disturbing from a law enforcement stand point..

Sited was the issue of privacy and the other was of some "vigilante style" remedy being sought by one of the people on the ground..

Time to do 10 good things with aerial drones now....

now, shoot the messenger..
    What is the bill # in Oklahoma?

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast