Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: TEXANS! Call your reps today! Tell them NO on bill HB 912!

Forum Member
    This is my first post, and normally I just loiter and leave the bla bla bla to you guys.

Privacy is an issue, however, if the legislators wish to regulate our hobby under the guise of privacy - we should also ask them to ground imaging satellites, park the google street view cars, make home appraisal photographs (usually taken from the street without permission) utterly illegal, and any kind of candid photography should also be outlawed. Perhaps we should also ask that all police cars have their dashcams removed.

In short, the regulation of imaging from UAV's is ludicrous. Universities (aerospace research) alone will make this bill very silly, and not likely to pass.

*I'm sure there's lots of spelling mistakes - sorry*

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by logicwins View Post
    Here is the back story: A lobbyist contacted me and wanted me to fly around the Texas Capital for a news reporter to write a story about Drones for the Texas Tribune and New York Times. Here are the links:

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/02/...vate-property/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us...d-privacy.html

Basically, the aim of the bill is pro-privacy. However, the way it is written is obviously very very bad for anyone interested in FPV. I have spent some time talking with them about this and they told me their aim is not to obstruct hobbyists and that we should put together some language that could be added to the bill that would exclude hobbyists. He said the intent is not to rob us of our freedom, but we have to make sure we speak up and have language added that represents us. Whether I like it or not, I seem to be the one that will spearheading this and I need your help! We need to come up with some common language that excludes us and protects us from these types of bills.

This debate is going to be cropping up all over the country, so if you think that because you are not in Texas this does not concern you, you are wrong.

We need to rally together and present a unified group. It seems I have made a powerful friend who is willing to help us so we need to come up with some short, concise language we want inserted into this bill.

Anyone who wants to speak directly with the Lobbyist, please just shoot me a note and I will give you his information so can speak directly with him about this.

Sincerely,
    Justin Edwards
    You flew an FPV rig around a government building?

What on earth made you think this would be a good idea?

Did you bother to ask "Why would you like me to fly my fpv copter?"

Was it vanity - is that why you did it?

Have you learned from this?

facepalm

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotSure View Post

Privacy is an issue, however, if the legislators wish to regulate our hobby under the guise of privacy - we should also ask them to ground imaging satellites, park the google street view cars, make home appraisal photographs (usually taken from the street without permission) utterly illegal, and any kind of candid photography should also be outlawed. Perhaps we should also ask that all police cars have their dashcams removed.
    *I'm sure there's lots of spelling mistakes - sorry*
    Welcome to the lab! Excellent quote...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotSure View Post
    You flew an FPV rig around a government building?

What on earth made you think this would be a good idea?

Did you bother to ask "Why would you like me to fly my fpv copter?"

Was it vanity - is that why you did it?

Have you learned from this?

facepalm
    My thoughts exactly. I'm sure Justin 'A.K.A.' Logicwins had permission. He did say he was asked by a lobbyist in support of this Representative and his bill to fly around for a news piece. I suspect his intentions were good but vanity got in the way and he forgot to ask what the news piece was about. In the end it was a huge blunder in my opinion and fed into fears about this hobby. Welcome to the Lab!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymonkeymark View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I'm sure Justin 'A.K.A.' Logicwins had permission. He did say he was asked by a lobbyist in support of this Representative and his bill to fly around for a news piece. I suspect his intentions were good but vanity got in the way and he forgot to ask what the news piece was about. In the end it was a huge blunder in my opinion and fed into fears about this hobby. Welcome to the Lab!
    I feel bad for him, and kinda sad. He clearly didn't know what was going to happen, and they manipulated him.

If we can learn from this and close ranks; as in do not speak to t-party lobbyists about our hobby, and never refer to our hobby as 'video drones' - I think it should blow over.

Poor guy though, that's the sort of thing that'll stay with you.

Thanks for the welcome guys! I was out flying in my yard, and it's freezing here tonight - Virginia.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sl4ppy View Post
    Agreed. A good piece.. but wow. Totally verifies the suspicion that Lance Gooden is completely and totally uneducated about a great many things, and using fear to further his agenda.

Again. We need to DEFEAT this bill.. Not modify it. This is getting REALLY scary.
    I caught that last little bit there on the news piece where the anchor say "hobbyists are hoping to work together with the legislature to come up with something that will benefit both sides." <<< To that I say, hell no, I'm not interested in working with idiots to come up with more senseless laws. It's a toy with a little camera on it...some folks need to get a grip.
    KF7TRU, [COLOR="blue"]youtube.com/user/wildwill1970/videos[/COLOR], Skywalker 1680mm, RMRC 400mW 1280mhz vTx, Dragonlink V1, MFD ATT, Crosshair GSA 1280mhz

Forum Member
    Yes, a toy. Not a drone, not a UAV, and certainly not an anti privacy platform.

Forum Member
    I think we should refer to them as flying soul stealers from now on.

Forum Member
    the law as writen is unconstitunial, there is no reasonable expection of privacy outside. Also, wouldn't googles landsat used for google earth qualify under this law?

Forum Member
    VERY Rural Texas in uncontrolled airspace.
    A favorite songwriter of my youth once penned the words that describe the current situation in most legislation introduced today "Ignorance, Prejudice and Fear walk hand in hand".

Thurmond

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast