Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not FPV but ....Multi amazing....

Forum Member

Not FPV but ....Multi amazing....

Has anyone seen what these guys are doin' with the Multi's?
    Really amazing considering it's an algorithm that's in the pilot's seat...

http://www.flyingmachinearena.org/videos/

jj

Forum Member
    they are cheating, they have shitloads of IR cameras all over the room

let me know when this happens without IR cameras
    [QUOTE=jimmaplesong;128705]When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    oh, just to let me understand, the IR cameras are used to get a fix of the position of the quads in the room? How are they used?

jj

Forum Member
    I agree with chatch, lots of fluff...cool fluff.

The IR camera's can ID each quad's position with great accuracy and frequency (search "IR position tracking" to find links like this). The quad's control loops are controlling to the position fed from the IR positioning system. Once you know your absolute position with accuracy and speed then all the gymnastics they are doing are little more than fancy '3D turtle graphics', a very cool trick but in my eyes more fluff than substance. The demo is actually an impressive demo of the IR system and the agility of the quads more so than the formation flying stuff ... IMO.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Forum Member
    The demo is actually an impressive demo of the IR system and the agility of the quads more so than the formation flying stuff ... IMO.
    Yep, neat until you realize that it's just playing out commands from a very complicated ground station. A flying player piano as it were.

Forum Member
    Give it 5 years and they will have the sensors onboard to do this stuff autonomously.

Forum Member
    The stuff being done at UPenn is more impressive imho. They were ate this stage a few years ago.

Yes, they too are also still use IR positioning, but the interaction with dynamic objects is pretty impressive and their progress has been pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDmel?feature=watch

Forum Member
    Some of the responses in this thread are absolutely ridiculous.

I find this far more impressive/interesting than anything I have ever seen posted by any of the members (monday morning quarterbacks) who have posted previously in this thread.

I just view it as a milestone in the evolutionary journey we are all on. I can only imagine what your commentary on the 1903 wright flyer might have been had there been forums and youtube around at the time to disect it. Equally ridiculous I'm sure.

So I'm curious which one of you gentlemen is leading the way for accomplishing this with out IR sensors. Please post a link to your research and possibly some videos of your results to date. I would find that fascinating.

Penn state = interesting as well.
    Last edited by BravoGolf; 23rd February 2013 at 04:32 PM.
    ~BG

[B]Fixed wing:[/B] Volantex Ranger 2.4j - Volantex Ranger 2k - Strix Strato Surfer - VAS Banshee - Sky Hunter Grey - Sky Hunter White - Skwalker 1900 - CTH Storm Chaser - CTH Albatross - Diamond 2500 - Super Sky Surfer - Phoenix 2000 - Fun Cub - Sonic 185 - Eflite ascent
    [B]Wings:[/B] PopWing - Multiplex Xeno
    [B]Multi-Copters:[/B] 400Q - Spanky - PE SS Mini H - GLB spider quad - ATG 750 - Tarot FY680 - V929 - Syma X5C

Forum Member
    I have not published any research, but I have plenty of "work product" my employers would fire/sue me for posting. If you think this is cool, you should see what's going on behind the scenes at Siemens and Lockheed. The vehicles they use don't need IR cameras, they use LIDAR. My part in the operation is detecting objects through dust, smoke and partially hidden objects.

The autonomous operations include:
    detecting mines/IEDs
    recognizing damaged or physically changed objects(targets)
    recognizing people by their stride. The way you walk is as unique as your fingerprint.

LIDAR navigation and operation has been around for quite a few years, IR was "cool" 10 years ago.

These IR copters are good for studying the behavior of flight in a controlled environment, but are not practical for "real-world" applications.

Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
    So I'm curious which one of you gentlemen is leading the way for accomplishing this with out IR sensors.
    It's a nonexistent problem. Where did you see that it can't be accomplished withotu IR cameras? IR is old news
    Last edited by chatch; 23rd February 2013 at 05:40 PM.
    [QUOTE=jimmaplesong;128705]When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    chatch....
    recognizing people by their stride. The way you walk is as unique as your fingerprint.

That shits' is scary technology!.....No wonder the USA gov.'t is going to ban FPV hobby
    "On My best behavior, or I'll get Banned".....
    .....I love Sports' and Vacations,....
    Whos' more Athletic? NHL players or Football/Basketball Skills' Players?

"...I break regulations because I'm good and it's ok for me...":o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast