FPVLAB

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This sucks, my lipo charger has ruined 3 batteries

Forum Member

This sucks, my lipo charger has ruined 3 batteries

I found the problem, but only after it's ruined 3 batteries by flattening the first cell in each one. The first cell charge leads have high impedance and after leaving the batteries on the charger overnight killed the first cell. The first battery it happened to I thought it was just a crappy battery, but the second two I finally caught on

Anyone have any ideas to fix this, or recommend a new charger?
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

Forum Member
    What charger is it? I seem to remember hearing this happen to somebody else one time. I have never been brave enough to buy a cheap charger...I like Hyperion and Thunder Power and FMA Direct chargers.
    [FONT=Segoe UI]Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":[/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI][/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI]"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

[/FONT]

Forum Member
    It's a dynam supermate dc6. Has good reviews and it never gave me any trouble until now. I cleaned the PCB with gun scrubber but it didn't help. I guess I will either remove the batteries immediately after charging or get a new charger.

Forum Member
    Are you saying you just left the battery on the charger, just sitting there, doing nothing? I think I have four 3S 4000's attached to my parallel charging board right now, I just switched off the power supply after they were done. Figured having all 4 attached to each other would keep them in balance for longer.

I have a Turnigy Accucel 6 and Accucel 8, both are great IMO.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    [COLOR="#ff8c00"][B][COLOR="#696969"]CO[/COLOR]FPV[COLOR="#4169e1"].com[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]

Forum Member
    Yeah, I calculated it to be 1.748 amps it's putting on that cell just sitting there overnight, at 3.2v, 183 mohms. I don't know why it all the sudden started doing this, I used to always leave batteries on it overnight.

Forum Member
    Oops wait that was kohms so it's only 0.0000174 a. Hmm...

All these new fangled chargers I run a triton 2 and just recently scored a triton jr for cheap. I also run a bantam pb6 balancer, 500mah balance cycle, every once and a while

Forum Member
    My Triton Jr goes everywhere.

volto: If it counts for anything I had 2 turnigy balancers that chose to kill cells out of the box. 2 for 2. Glad you caught on with yours. :/
    ~Jer.
    Someday the signs will say "No FPV" instead of "No Skateboarding".

Forum Member
    I guess there is still the possibility that it's just coincidence that the first cell on 3 batteries died relatively soon after one another, however unlikely. I wish I could test it somehow to know for sure. Hmm, I might just go with the turnigy accucel-6 since the US warehouse has it in stock, only $23.

Is it common for the first cell to die first on crappy batteries?

Forum Member
    You are a brave soul for leaving a LiPo connected to anything overnight. It may have not been charging, but there are stories all over of people that do not respect the danger posed with LiPo's not handled properly.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast