Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to heli

Forum Member
    there is a new brushless mcpx coming out soon..i would get either a nano or the brushless mcpx rather then the v2 mcpx..the tail has bad tendencies on the original mcpx. I learned how to fly cp on one..the nano is a handful but very durable due to weight and size and you can fly indoors without fear...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
    Thanks for all the info, guys! I've decided to do two things. The first is to buy an mCPx when I get back to the US this weekend. The second is to get into multirotor. My budget is more limited than I originally realized, so I'm going to take baby steps. I agree with you all - I'll walk before I run. The last thing I want to do is get in over my head and smash a nice helicopter or risk hurting people.
    I am selling this bird... it would make an awesome FPV rig, it is very big but while you are learning one your smaller one you could start planning this build. I would love to keep it within the FPV community so I can see what happens with her.
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....rame-Plates%29
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Forum Member
    smrceo - I saw an ad for that recently. I'll probably pick one of those up if I can get my hands on it within the next couple of weeks. I'll only be in the US for three weeks starting this weekend, and then I return to Korea. Shipping from the US is such a pain in the ass here that I want to get something to throw in a suitcase for my trip home.

Derrick - Bigger would not be a problem for me. Unfortunately, I can't view the link. I haven't been on FPVlab long enough. Could you shoot me a PM with some details or a link to a different ad (if you have posted it elsewhere)?

-Taft

Forum Member

Re: Moving to heli

I cannot see his ad either but I beleive its a 600 which would def be better and more stable. Min I would fly for fpv would be 500(425mm blades) I fly a fusion 50 with 623mm blades and it is so locked in.

Forum Member
    Ive been fpv'ing my trex 500 fbl recently. It can be done and its a lot of fun, quite difficult in tight places and co-ordinating turns etc.

Ive been flying 3D 700 size heli's for the last 4 years, so ive taken to flying fpv heli quite easily. In saying that im building up a 450 size quad as it will be a lot nicer to fly around trees etc and will be a lot easier and more relaxing to fly.

Id recommend learning to fly a small heli like the 130x and then fpv a 450 size quad. Theres no rush and flying fpv is waay harder than los.

Forum Member

Moving to heli

I disagree regarding FBL...

There are some very easy to set up units out now and the mechanical setup is much much simpler, also reducing crash costs and increasing the simplicity of repairs.

Several also include a bail out feature or assistive flying modes that can be of great use to a new heli pilot.

There is a slightly higher hurdle at first setup (though if you can manage to set up a tail gyro, you can cope with most FBL systems IMO) but the rewards far outweigh it.

The bigger you go the easier it is to fly, but costs of batteries, crashes and indeed "pucker factor" all go up with size too.

As mentioned 500 is a pretty good compromise between all the factors involved. I would make an exception for the new brushless mCP X - the original mCP X was a fantastic trainer for me and got me into the more advanced flying... If it weren't for that bird I'd probably still be pootling around from extreme hover to extreme hover. The 130X is fantastic for more advanced training, but isn't quite as rugged as the mCP X.

Forum Member
    Plastic framed Protos 500 flybarless would be my choice if I was to fpv a heli. They are a great little machine.

Forum Member

Moving to heli

Quote Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
    Thanks Ham, I'll start looking into the 500 size. Do you have any specific suggestions? Sport, Pro, DFC, Flybar, etc?
    I have always had heli's with flybars.
    DA DI DAH[COLOR=white]----[/COLOR]DI DAH[COLOR=white]----[/COLOR]DA DA DI DI DIT[COLOR=white]----[/COLOR]DA DI DA DIT[COLOR=white]-----[/COLOR]DI DI DIT[COLOR=white]----[/COLOR]DIT

Forum Member
    FPV a BLMCPX2 with micro 5.8ghz gear for close in FPV action that will teach you how to fly FPV with a heli without a huge investment and massive drain on your pocketbook every time you crash.
    [FONT=Segoe UI]Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":[/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI][/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI]"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

[/FONT]

Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I thought that I should give you an update on my progress as I transition into heli. My first move was to buy a Blade 130X (micro CP heli). I've been flying it for about a week, and I'm transitioning from FP into CP pretty easily. Another few weeks of that and I'll feel comfortable with basic non-3D flight.

I stumbled upon a pretty solid deal on a full-size model recently, so I decided to go for it. I found a radio-ready Trex 600E (old style with flybar) for $300. It should arrive Tuesday. I found a heli-friendly hobby shop nearby that is willing to help me look it over, trim it out and buy replacement parts. Once I can fly the 130X a little better, I'll start practicing with the Trex.

It will take a few months before I can think about FPV. I don't want to get ahead of myself with FPV. I did that when I began FPV (fixed-wing), so I know what to expect.

Thanks again for the advice.

-Taft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast