Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to heli

Forum Member

Moving to heli

I am getting back into FPV after a year off, and I've decided to build an FPV heli. I have flown airplanes (FPV and LOS) for years, but helicopters have always interested me. I plan to spend the next few months getting comfortable with CP helis as I've only flown co-axial and FP.

I know that I want a 450 size model, but I'm having trouble deciding which to buy. I want something that is suitable for learning CP, but also something that won't become boring after a month or two of flying. I am also not interested in the super-cheap models like HK and Walkera.

I was originally interested in the Blade 450 BNF, but I live thousands of miles from the nearest Blade dealer. I can buy Trex parts nearby, so the Trex 450 Plus RTF seems like a great option...but I want to make sure that I'm not overlooking anything. Is there any reason to go with the Sport or Pro versions of the Trex 450?

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Taft

Forum Member
    I would really consider stepping up to a 500 size heli. Power to weight ratio is much better for the additional weight of FPV gear. Bigger s better. My first helicopter was a T-rex 500. Stil have it and enjoy flying it very much....
    DA DI DAH[COLOR=white]----[/COLOR]DI DAH[COLOR=white]----[/COLOR]DA DA DI DI DIT[COLOR=white]----[/COLOR]DA DI DA DIT[COLOR=white]-----[/COLOR]DI DI DIT[COLOR=white]----[/COLOR]DIT

Forum Member
    Thanks Ham, I'll start looking into the 500 size. Do you have any specific suggestions? Sport, Pro, DFC, Flybar, etc?

Forum Member
    keep it simple , unless you plan on progressing to 3d I would stick to a flybared heli...one less electronic device (fbl controller) to worry about.

Forum Member
    A Trex 450 or 500 are good choices, they are both affordable and parts are widely available. There are also many clones, but parts quality is sometimes a problem. I would go for a flybarless heli, what SkinWalk3r said is true, there are more electronic parts to worry about, but an FBL heli is easier to setup, has fewer parts in the head (=fewer broken parts when you crash), and flies more stable.

Make sure you practice on a simulator first, CP helis are quite difficult to fly when you first start. In addition to a sim you could also get a small CP heli to practice, they have the advantage that they usually don't break in crashes (I have a Blade 130X, it's great).

Forum Member
    I would recommend to learn to fly a heli LOS before you try to FPV one. You have to learn to walk before you can run.

Forum Member
    Can you fly a cp heli in a decent simulator? Learn there first. It'll save you a ton of money in parts and a lot of time in rebuilds. I'd really recommend that you invest in a good simulator that lets you fly fpv style. I have RealFlight 6 that lets me fly that way. Phoenix is a good heli sim also. Sims are a lot of fun on crappy weather days too.
    KD0NDC

Forum Member
    Heck, go with a Goblin 500 - I have one on order and they are going to be s lot of fun!