Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnigy 9x with er9x firmware

Co-Pilot

Turnigy 9x with er9x firmware

I have a few questions about this radio. I am considering getting one to use for my FPV models with DragonLink freeing up my JR9503 for my regular flying.

1. Does this radio have a charge port on it? It comes with a battery holder as I understand. If I put Sanyo Eneloop cells in it, I wonder if I can use my JR wall charger without having to remove all the cells to charge them...
    2. What MODE is this radio? It is not listed on the description.
    3. What er9x programmer board is in it?

Thanks!

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by durangoflyer View Post
    I have a few questions about this radio. I am considering getting one to use for my FPV models with DragonLink freeing up my JR9503 for my regular flying.

1. Does this radio have a charge port on it? It comes with a battery holder as I understand. If I put Sanyo Eneloop cells in it, I wonder if I can use my JR wall charger without having to remove all the cells to charge them...
    Yes, polarity is like Futaba/Hitec, positive in the middle. That said, I haven't tried charging my Eneloop batteries in via the port. You can also mod it to use a LiPo.

Whatever mode you want to order it in! Mode 1 here, Mode 2 here. You can switch the modes fairly easily too if I remember.

None by default, though you can order this one or this replacement board.

Also you should be aware that the Turnigy 9XR was recently released, and it has a built in programming board and another of other options that will come out much cheaper than the 9X with all the extra stuff you have to buy.

Thanks!
    I can't answer this one... I am not sure
    Yes it is listed in the description. (you can easily change it though if you do get the wrong one:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Turnigy+...version/5832/1
    Can't answer this one either...

Why are you looking at the 9x? They just came out with the 9XR... it is pretty awesome for $50, it comes with a backlit screen, connections for firmware up dates, takes a 3s battery, has ports for both futaba and JR ppm out, has a header for an AVR ISP built in. It does not have a "module" but if your are going to connect a DL then it dosn't matter.

This is mode 1 (but it is the one that is in stock.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Module_.html
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Co-Pilot
    I was referring to the one sold modified already at SierraRC

http://www.sierrarc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=183

Co-Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    Why are you looking at the 9x? They just came out with the 9XR... it is pretty awesome for $50, it comes with a backlit screen, connections for firmware up dates, takes a 3s battery, has ports for both futaba and JR ppm out, has a header for an AVR ISP built in. It does not have a "module" but if your are going to connect a DL then it dosn't matter.

This is mode 1 (but it is the one that is in stock.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Module_.html
    I noticed that one today while I was researching the er9x choices. It is so new and untested, but looks promising.

note that the 9XR seems to have some issues, so the 9X is actualyl still a pretty good choice :P
    (look at reviews, and RCG, cables breaking in gimbals for example)

the radio you linked does everything you asked, you'll just need the usbasp programmer to flash it. What they most likely did is solder wires inside and exposing a plug. No nice board, no backlight, etc. It will work fine but you might want to use http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331 instead just for the backlight ;-)

The DL works fine on it, many use it with it, I and so do I.

I use the 9x with open9x firmware, works great for me, I can connect my 9x to the pc to save and edit my models with a usb port that comes with this kit:
    http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331

But now of course there's the new 9xr to consider.
    ONE WITH THE MACHINE --> https://www.youtube.com/FPVFLYER

Navigator
    I was referring to the one sold modified already at SierraRC

http://www.sierrarc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=183
    Oh crap my bad, I totally didn't realize this was the sponsor's section. Sorry SierraRC!

Spearheading an Aliance BravoGolf's Avatar
    I love my 9x with er9x firmware, smartieparts board, back light etc. The programming capabilities are pretty extensive and at times make my head hurt, but that is a good thing.

I was pretty excited to hear about the 9xr and have followed many threads on it on various boards. Having said that....I'm not quite sold on it...yet.

From what I've read its the classic case of HobbyKing rushing a half assed product to market. I can almost guarantee you that 4-6 months from now there will be a 9xr v.2. At that point I will likely be more interested in picking one up. For now I'm pretty happy with my er9x.

Read some threads visit the 9x forum, and if you go either route I'm sure you'll have fun.

Hope this helps,

BG
    ~BG

Fixed wing: Volantex Ranger 2.4j - Volantex Ranger 2k - Strix Strato Surfer - VAS Banshee - Sky Hunter Grey - Sky Hunter White - Skwalker 1900 - CTH Storm Chaser - CTH Albatross - Diamond 2500 - Super Sky Surfer - Phoenix 2000 - Fun Cub - Sonic 185 - Eflite ascent
    Wings: PopWing - Multiplex Xeno
    Multi-Copters: 400Q - Spanky - PE SS Mini H - GLB spider quad - ATG 750 - Tarot FY680 - V929 - Syma X5C

No worries. This is the mode 2 with throttle on the left. Exactly right, we solder a pigtail and flash it with er9x. You will need a USB ASP to update the firmware. If you purchase the backlight kit we will install it for free.