Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV PILOT TRAINING CENTER - YOUR ROAD TO FPV SUCCESS

Quote Originally Posted by Wearyman View Post
    Well, as a new person to FPV myself, I would say that the best advice given to me so far was this: Take it slow. If you haven't even flown RC planes before, learn to fly properly first without FPV. Get comfortable with your plane (or heli) and other gear before trying to take on FPV. Once you are ready to get started, keep taking it slow. Do NOT just run out and spend thousands on an expensive FPV platform with high-end gear. You WILL crash, but if you are rushing, you will crash faster and with more loss of money. GO SLOW.

I should learn to take my own advice. Should have known to learn to fly with HELP from an experienced AMA member, but Noooo. Had to go do it myself. Treed my plane over the weekend. Got it back, but with a broken motor shaft and trashed prop. So I won't be flying until I can repair the plane and replace the motor and prop. Ugh.

I had a great spotter for my maiden yesterday of the P51. ALthough I knew I was getting low, he said "you're getting kinda low". It's simple things like that that help a lot. Were you flying it FPV or LOS?
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wearyman View Post
    I should learn to take my own advice. Should have known to learn to fly with HELP from an experienced AMA member, but Noooo. Had to go do it myself. Treed my plane over the weekend. Got it back, but with a broken motor shaft and trashed prop. So I won't be flying until I can repair the plane and replace the motor and prop. Ugh.
    Replace the motor for a broken shaft? Why? Just replace the shaft. I probably have a spare shaft in my motor box. Before I was into FPV, I was designing and building my own motors. Seldom was there a motor that couldn't be rebuilt.

Let me know what size that motor shaft is and if I have a spare, I'll drop it in the mail for you - Free.

-Alex

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    Since you've already received your micro gear - let's just say that you'll be pressing with the UM route - it's a great choice as these are highly repairable. Of the UM airframes you mentioned, the Champ will provide you the most stable flying and the most payload. That would be my choice. As long as you can get forward speed it'll haul the bacon. Worst case though, you can go brushless on the Champ pretty inexpensively - I can give you a list of what you need at that time if you wanted to pursue it. For now - I'd concentrate on getting the 1 rig up - no tracking, just a simple patch/omni on a tripod or mini-tripod (patch), GS battery. While I would not bother with worying about a display at this time, I'd def spring for a device to ground record with (EasyCap + your laptop) or a Aiptek 5800 (many people use this and it's hard to beat for the price).
    Thanks for the advice. Indeed, my immediate goal is simply to get the Champ FPV rig up and flying, relatively "bare bones". Vtx, Vrx, and flown through a small monitor of some sort. I figure that's all I need to get a feel for FPV navigation / orientation, which I foresee as the biggest challenge. The antenna tracking, OSD, RTH, etc are part of my long-term FPV goals. I state those goals in hopes of receiving guidance on my hardware purchases, as I make them. I'd rather purchase "to a plan", vs random purchases that may or may not play well.

As an example of the planning, the OSD antenna tracking thing has been a concern of mine. I realize that the antenna tracking function may be limited by certain OSD's. The OSD's which support antenna tracking may or may not be OSD's of my choice. Then, however, I run across your signal-strength based antenna tracking. Superb! IMO, that's more in line with what antenna tracking "should be" anyway, as it removes that function from requiring integration with other, non-related functions. Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    "I" wouldn't suggest you get into building your own antennas yet - it's a UM, so for now your 200mw UM setup should be plenty fun on "stockish" poduction antennas.
    It may be a bit late for that. LOL Markus1234 from the RCG site is in the process of putting together an antenna set for me. Though it sounds like the CL / SPW setup isn't necessary at this point, I'm having to wait to use the gear anyway. Markus was the first to point out that the 5.8 Vtx should not be operated directly from a 1S lipo, due to the voltage difference, and a history of frying the Vtx. As I don't have access to a local component supply house, I was going to have to order the appropriate voltage regulator parts from Digikey. As I've got to wait on shipping either way, I thought I'd just have Markus assemble the unit, as he is using a thin PCB for weight, and has more experience soldering those tiny SMD components. Given the wait for the regulator stuff (Digikey or Markus), and the fact that I'll probably be moving the 5.8 stuff to the SuperCub (once I'm comfortable with the Champ), I figured I'd just have the antenna set waiting at the ready.

It's tough having my Champ, headplays, and complete Vtx / Vrx / camera assembly sitting -right here-, and not being able to use it. Though the temptation to "just see if it works" is strong, I've decided to wait until I have the correct components available. No reason to let impatience cost more time, money or frustration!
    Last edited by motoguy; 22nd March 2011 at 07:27 AM.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy View Post
    Alex, thanks for the advice. Indeed, my immediate goal is simply to get the Champ FPV rig up and flying, relatively "bare bones". Vtx, Vrx, and flown through a small monitor of some sort. I figure that's all I need to get a feel for FPV navigation / orientation, which I foresee as the biggest challenge. The antenna tracking, OSD, RTH, etc are part of my long-term FPV goals. I state those goals in hopes of receiving guidance on my hardware purchases, as I make them. I'd rather purchase "to a plan", vs random purchases that may or may not play well.

As an example of the planning, the OSD antenna tracking thing has been a concern of mine. I realize that the antenna tracking function may be limited by certain OSD's. The OSD's which support antenna tracking may or may not be OSD's of my choice. Then, however, I run across your signal-strength based antenna tracking. Superb! IMO, that's more in line with what antenna tracking "should be" anyway, as it removes that function from requiring integration with other, non-related functions. Wonderful!
    As strange as it may seem, I haven't touched my antenna tracker in months. Why? I already routinely fly out of my RC radio range on a small diversity base station that's about the size of a small toolbox. I'm sure once I get the long range RC transmitter going I'll pull the tracker out of mothballs, but for now there is little point. I know Sentry doesn't recommend building your own antennas, but I would consider doing so. Take your time and make it look just like mine or anyone else's. I have heard nothing but success stories on how the antennas revitalized FPV for them. Besides, I am here to support you.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Build own antennas = learn stuff that help you succeed.

Building something will always help you understand the bigger picture along the way, from antennas to wiring harnesses. I think building it yourself can be frusterating and time consuming, but somewhat understanding more clearly how and why everytihng does what it does is priceless.

Replace the motor for a broken shaft? Why? Just replace the shaft. I probably have a spare shaft in my motor box. Before I was into FPV, I was designing and building my own motors. Seldom was there a motor that couldn't be rebuilt.

Let me know what size that motor shaft is and if I have a spare, I'll drop it in the mail for you - Free.

-Alex
    It is this motor:

Turnigy 2835-2200kV Brushless Inrunner (Easy Star/Twin Star)

Specs:
    Motor Size: 2835 (380S)
    Speed: 2200kv
    ESC Required: 25A
    Voltage Range: 6~12v
    No Load Curr: .4A
    Max Load: 32A
    Diameter: 28.2mm
    Length: 37mm
    Front Mounting Hole Distance: 19mm
    Front Mount Thread Size: M3
    Shaft Diameter: 3.2mm
    Shaft Length: 12mm
    Weight: 102grams
    But how do you get the shaft out? I don't see any screws holding the motor closed. It seems to be a sealed unit.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
    Build own antennas = learn stuff that help you succeed.

Building something will always help you understand the bigger picture along the way, from antennas to wiring harnesses. I think building it yourself can be frusterating and time consuming, but somewhat understanding more clearly how and why everytihng does what it does is priceless.
    Derek,

I certainly agree! From remodeling the house, to working on the car, to modding my planes, I'm -very- much a DIY kind of guy. However, I've just decided to jump into the FPV arena. We've got a baby coming in October, and a lot of work that needs to be finished on the house in that time (new trim, replacing some windows, some landscaping, etc). As such...I've got to pick my battles, -and- I'm afraid that if I don't have a proven, functional setup by October...I may never have one. lol As short as I am of time now, it's nothing to compared to what it will be like when the baby gets here! So, for now, if I can buy my way into having a functional setup...I'm going that route.

Alex and Derek are guys that I envy. Derek has taught me a lot of useful skills RE: FPV that I can do on my own --- some of those skills I should have earned years ago. I've been a "plug n play" guy for so long that some "core" RC skills that I should have acquired I just don't have. This is largely due to just wanting to fly - I don't wanna mod, plumb, etc - LOL. I do, but prob only when related to cars. SO now with FPV getting me back into the hobby I'm playing "catch-up" on some basic RC skills. I will say that with a kid on the way your time will be limited. I'd get 2 - 3 reliable rigs up and just enjoy them and maintain them for the 1st year until your time opens back up. Like you, time is my enemy.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Hi, I am brand new to FPV and am hoping to get an FPV plane in the air this summer. I am looking for suggestions for a simple beginner setup for FPV. I have 8 years of RC flying experience and am also a GA Pilot. I fly in a rural area with the nearest town approximately 10 miles away. I currently use a DX7 and realize that it isn't the optimal radio for FPV. At some point I will upgrade to a better radio for FPV, but for my first close range FPV flights and to get my feet wet I think the DX7 will work. I am leaning towards a glider as my first FPV plane, perhaps a Cularis or Radian. I haven't decided if I will buy an FPV kit to start or if I should buy individual pieces to build out my system. Any advice on a decent starter setup that will give fair performance? Any specific brands that I should lean towards or avoid? Are there any VTx's that offer multi frequency ranges or the ability to switch between 900Mhz and 1.3Ghz? I am sure I will have more questions as I progress deeper into this. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast