Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ground station MkII (with Arduino)

I'm asking because I thought for example the switches you could get form a CAD databank so you can use them directly without the need of drawing. You seriously drew the suitcase with every flange, knob and holder and every switch?!? I wonder what's the engineering background, please enlighten me. Great work, I mean really, I'm just missing the point I guess.

How did you draw the RVGS?

The background is the CAD software, I'm using ProE lately and I see all the "nice" drawings of you guys and wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Why would I change the connectors on the RVGS?
    I am just very very cautious with connectors, especially if there is a spaghetti bowl of them like there will be in this GS. I am personally conserding to at least change that crappy 3S balancer plug to something solid. then all the video/audio out are really bulky, maybe just remove them?!

Dio
    Latest Crafts: The Anti-Gravity-Machine, Carbonator, Guava 2m, Wunderwaffe I, Wunderwaffe II, Uberwaffe, Plankton v2, TBS discovery

Yup, I modeled the case, quite easy actually. It's much harder to model something that will be produced, modelling something to only "look" as it should is quite easy and fast. Can't tell you about my profession but I'm a BSc in Aeronautics and a MSc in Mechanical Engineering. I'm not a modelling newbie, even though it's not my occupation I model a little on the side and has for instance modeled the RVJET together with some other guys. That is much harder though since molded designs need to have draft angles, split lines and thickness etc.

The RVGS is not modeled by me, it's modeled by a friend for Rangevideo. Since I will route all I/O to other connectors I don't see the problem with the current connectors. For power I will use a XT60 and for AV I/O I'll use XS9JK and RCA as is shown in the model.

There's only a spaghetti if the cables run amok with no good routing. With a little planning and a bunch of cable ties it can be quite good. I'm hurt that you think this will result in a cable spaghetti.

I could share some models if you have an interesting project, if you would be so nice and include me in the credits.

But, honestly, if you look more closely the objects are quite rough and not very detailed. They're build up as a single solid/part and only looks to have more details/parts. It's an illusion that works very well for planning and dimensioning and isn't so hard on the computer as well. Just look at the XS9JK connector below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130213-xs9jk-m.jpg 
Views:	736 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	21206 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130213-xs9jk-f.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	21207 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130213-xs9jk-r.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	21205

here's a cookie, please don't be hurt. or we have an absolut over it... up to you, but don't get tangled up!

I have a very similar background, but I must say that I don't put that much detail on the looks as you do, I mean doing this connector that you show there takes what? 30min? The suitcase with all the groves, handle etc. at least an hour? Looks great anyways, I was just wondering if I'm missing something that you know when doing CAD

Now don't say you spent less time on it, otherwise I'm hurt.

cheers
    Latest Crafts: The Anti-Gravity-Machine, Carbonator, Guava 2m, Wunderwaffe I, Wunderwaffe II, Uberwaffe, Plankton v2, TBS discovery

Actually I don't know how much time but often less then you might think. Much more time goes into planning layout etc. In the end I think I reduce the total time by making a detailed model. So IMO the looks are very important to be able to plan correctly and "feel" the layout before installation. For this particuar project I've till used more time in front of Powerpoint for the initial planning then modeling. However I've been modeling almost everything I do in 3D CAD since my start in FPV, starting with my Shadow 200 in 2008 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post10707737).

In 2010 I moved from Autodesk Inventor to Solidworks and have also used Pro/E before. For these kinds of simple models I don't think the software matters much since only very basic features are used.

For instance I'm right now modeling some very small plastic parts intended to be plastic molded and this is alot more time consuming.

About time consumtion I guess I won't mention the Arduino programming which has taken MUCH more time. Not to mention the eBay-browsing for suitable parts.

Looks all very nice!

I'll be building my antenna tracker soon, also in CAD, do you have a good one already?

It'll be:

~70 degrees tilt
    ~270 degrees pan

But I'm gonna use ball bearings for the shafts and the casing will be either 2mm G10 or punched 2mm aluminum. I'd like this to be similar to the MFD tracker, but I'll install a counterweight for the CP helix and it'll have 33kgcm metall gear servos. No slipring. no magnetometer, hence usable with every ground station. But I'll also use the RVGS.

Cheers

I now have installed the basics in my groundstation. The Arduino and screen etc is still not installed though.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	28364

Name:	20130618_131155.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	28362

Name:	20130618_131208.jpg