Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BEST motor suited for TBS Disco

Quote Originally Posted by Burg View Post
    The TBS 900kv (Tiger MT2216-11 900kv) motors in combination with the SimonK TBS 30 esc's are great.
    When using the Graupner 9"x5 E-Props or the carbon fiber RCTimer 9" x5 it gives very good results on 4S 4000mah.

Used these on the Disco as well :
    * RCTimer 2830-11 -1000kv (3S 3300mah + 10" Graupners)
    * RCTimer 2830-14 - 750kv (3S 3300mah + 10" Graupners)
    * RCTimer 2836-9 - 880kv (3S 3300mah + 10" Graupners)
    * HK NTM 2826 - 1200kv (4S 4000mah + 9" Graupners)

Last ones were OK but the RCTimer ball bearings are not very good quality .. after 10 flights they are noticably worn.
    I got some RCtimer pancake motors ( 4215-12 650kV ) & out of the 4 motors, 3 have bent or badly fitting prop adaptors so that the shafts don't spin true & wobble a lot introducing HUGE vibration. I have sent an email to RCtimer today so I hope they have a solution to the problem.

I fitted the RCtimer motors to my "test quad" .. a kk2.0 FC with turnigy plush 30A ESCs on a DJI F450 frame. With 10" 3-blade props it has plenty of performance but the vibration is so massive I think it messes with the FC at times. Also one motor has a slight squeal that sounds a lot like a bearing dying Only run them for 3 batteries so far so that's not a great track record.

I have Scorpion SII-2215-1127kV motors with 9" Graupner E-Props on my Discovery. They perform very nicely but I always fly Atti or GPS-Atti modes so they are limited by the NAZA anyway. One thing I dislike about the Scorpion motors are the crappy aluminium colette type prop adaptors. The ali threads are very soft & weak & only need a light crash to ruin the thread.

Navigator
    My experience is that RCTimer motors are cheap .. but very good for small inexpensive foamies. I used to build all my quads and hexa's with them but never had 4 or 6 equal quality motors. There was always one of them making that squeeky sound that looked like one bearing was damaged. Or one of them had severe balancing / wiring problems.

In some occasions this resulted in a crash that was subjected to a locked bearing. I blame myself for this because of taking off in or land from sand, grass, gravel or dusty grounds. Replacing the bearings is possible, but didn't gave any better results because you easily bend the (soft) shafts or damage the alloy housing.

Note that imo this is acceptable .. China just cannot produce high quality motors those prices. The Tigers, AXI's, Scorpions, SunnySky's etc have far better japanese bearings. They are much better balanced and run smoother / are more efficient.

I know the TBS 750 are identical to the RCTimer variant, hobbyking has them too (Turnigy D-series). I believe they are all clones from DYS (Dong Yang Servo Power Model). Perhaps the TBS 750 are specially selected or re-worked, only TBS can answer that.

Yes schalvstaden, the TBS 900 will outperform the TBS 750. In all the above mentioned matters. This doesn't mean they are bad .. your Disco will fly great with them! The price difference is acceptable and worth the extra money when you fly a lot.

It all depends on what you expect from the motors and what you do with your multirotor. If your platform carries GoPro's or other camara's, expensive vTx, OSD's, etc I can imagine that you want reliable motors. But the same counts for props off course.

I still have throw-around quads that I only fit the RCTimers / NTM's on. When I crash these quads .. no problem, I can walk away with a smile. Today my Disco and carbon fiber quads/hexa's have the Tiger motors .. only.

Just my 2 cents.
    Mark.

Navigator
    Any specific input on the T-motors on the disco? This is what I intend to use in my build...

Lou

as far as I understand, the tbs 900kv's are rebranded t-motors thus are they basicly the same?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by THX1138 View Post
    Any specific input on the T-motors on the disco? This is what I intend to use in my build...
    Lou
    Lou, what input are you looking for ?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by schalkvstaden View Post
    as far as I understand, the tbs 900kv's are rebranded t-motors thus are they basicly the same?
    Yes ..

Navigator
    I plan to use 4s 4000, most likely spider packs. I understand the 9x5 graupners are the prop to run. Just looking for info on flight times and lift performance. Anything to look out for... Limits?

Lou

I got 4x TBS 750kV motors and all were running great. Some days ago I bought 2x original RCTimer 2830-14 and the quality is much lower than the TBS ones.
    Maybe luck or TBS hast an addinational quality check.

One RCTimer was scratching and the bearings looked super super low quality. And changing bearings & shaft on every second motor really sucks.

So I will go with the 900kV now, because I dont need too much flight time, but WANT vibration free and smooth footage. For range and flightime get a plane ;-)

900kV / 9 Graupner props / 4s 3300
    TBS Discovery PRO / TBS Caipirinha / TBS Vendetta v2
    T8FGs / IMRC UHF
    TBS Groundstation + PepperBox

Skywalker X8
    Vector 2 + EagleEyes Ground System + IBCrazy 5.8 Super Cannon
    ImmersionRC 5.8 Vtx