Thread: a few ???'s on 5v regulator

a few ???'s on 5v regulator

Since I smoked my TBS core, i re-upped with a 5v regulator for my lawmate 2G4 Tx.
    I recognize the tiny cable connector, that goes straight to my Vtx.
    There is a 2 pin connector for the main power in, that ive never seen, and the website makes it look like a jst to 2pin servo connector (it says molex, but from the pic i cant be sure)
    Also on the other side is a 5 pin connector that i also have not encountered before.

My questions are
    1- the big 5 pin goes to the camera. without audio, just red, black and signal. The small 5 pin goes to lawmate Tx, and 2 pin is red/blk to battery. Correct?
    2-Is that "molex" type connector something i may be able to buy local? like will radio shack have a connector (2 pin and 5 pin?) like this?
    3- Does the signal wire even need to be wired into the regulator, or can it bypass it all together and go direct to vtx? This would leave only needing to wire in the red/blk main power IN (from the battery), and then red/blk OUT to the vtx (since my cam 12v, will be wired from the battery into a LC filter.) and also the red an black from the camera? is that right? im a bit confused..

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1185

sorry for all the questions, but better to know, than proceed and guess.
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Do I need both?

While taking a closer look at my setup i noticed that the UBEC I am using (Turnigy Output 5v 3a : Input 6v-9v) to power my Rx and servos.
    Then I bought a 5v regulator from RMRC thinking i needed it to give steady power to my Vtx (Lawmate 2G4 TBS tuned, 5v)
    I had never had them out in my hand together and didnt notice that the UBEC has the same 5v out. So can I just split the output of the UBEC and skip the 5v regulator all together since im not using audio?
    Or is that 5v regulator still needed in the setup independent of the 5v going into the Rx to power the 8 servos (2 Aileron in y-harness, 2 flaps in y-harness, rudd, elevator, pan, tilt)

So, should i use both? or will the UBEC do fine (running 3 cell 1300mah for main power and camera and 2 cell 800mah for receiver, servos, and Vtx, at least for first tests.)

Heres the two items in question.
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

You could and it would work, but I wouldn't just to avoid potential video issues, overloading of a single one, or instability (servos draw alot more power than most would think, especially under load). I would use both, but have them disconnected in every way except for the main voltage input.

So are you always going to use 2 different batteries? Or do you plan to replace that 9-6v input BEC with something 12v capable?
    Quote Originally Posted by LexusFPV
    I'll trust David22, he seems to know what he's talking about....

Quote Originally Posted by Legot View Post
    You could and it would work, but I wouldn't just to avoid potential video issues, overloading of a single one, or instability (servos draw alot more power than most would think, especially under load). I would use both, but have them disconnected in every way except for the main voltage input.

So are you always going to use 2 different batteries? Or do you plan to replace that 9-6v input BEC with something 12v capable?
    Thank you for the input!
    Also thank you for pointing out that my UBEC is only 9v! Need to keep that in mind and never hook it up through my 3 cell. I need to buy a new 12v UBEC. for sure.
    in the mean time ill just use it for initial testing.
    2 cell 800MAh to UBEC to 3 cell 1300MAh to
    Is that 2 cell grossly underpowered for the task at hand? i have NO idea what to expect or how long it might last.
    thanks again!
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Instructor Pilot
    put a multimeter on any bec you are going to use for a lawmate Tx. its very picky about getting 5V... some 5V UBECs put out a lot more than that...

Quote Originally Posted by terabyte View Post
    put a multimeter on any bec you are going to use for a lawmate Tx. its very picky about getting 5V... some 5V UBECs put out a lot more than that...
    Thanks again man! i got one of those, so ill be sure to use it. I really appreciated you help.
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Navigator
    I have a question also mine is about the mini 5v regulator that you can get from readymade rc , it comes with the pico fpv combo, receiver, v2 camera, and the 5v regulator has no connectors and they have no instructions on how to wire the camera or power up all three, i don't want to ruin what I just paid for. if anyone could help that would be great

unless your dealing with audio, all you have to do is hook it up with the RED - BLACK - and SIGNAL wires. There is 3 plugs, the 2 pin is the main power In. This is coming from your battery. Then there is 2 OUTS. these OUTS will give out a steady 5v. Its essentially a "stepdown" so your 12v wont cook your 5v VTx.
    Choose either one is easier for you to work with (ie which ever you have a plug for) and go from there. These wires (+,-, vid) will go to your Vtx. If your Cam is 5v too, than make the other plug to it, otherwise wire it up as needed, bypassing what isnt needed, and make sure to triple check your color order of the wires.

Welcome to the Lab, btw!
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.