Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attitudes or Dominators??

Attitudes or Dominators??

hey folks i'm just about to pull the plug and order my first FPV set up, it will be going on a TBS discovery, anyways unsure of whether to go for the attitudes or dominator goggles, anyone out there with experience of both and whats your thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Co-Pilot
    I just got today in the mail my Attitudes..
    Reason I went with them was they come with a full FPV setup (sans camera)..

It is going to be (hopefully) more versatile as I will run the 5.8 FPV on my new sporty quad and still have the 1.2 for distance stuff..

What I want to try and do is set up the 5.8 as a repeater from my 1.2 receiver.. This leaves the fatsharks fully portable with no teather.. the one caveat is that it breaks the KISS rule... just adding more points of failure but I am hoping it is worth it..

I just could not get a full 5.8 setup (incl goggle module) for the same price as getting it already setup and warranted..
    Poke it with a fork.. done...

Take a look at the fatshark web site - there is a comparison chart. notice, even with future models there is no clear 'best' set. You have to pick features that are important to you. That being said, the new models that are not out yet will be better than what is currently available.

First choose with or without base station. if 'with', then get the base 2012. For without, choose quality vs view size - dominators look better but have a tiny image. attitudes have a greater more immersive feel due to the larger FOV but the image is fuzzier (plastic v glass?).

I have flown a few times with the attitudes, bought the dominators a week later. I haven't flown with them yet to pick my final preference, but suffice it to say I wasn't that impressed with the attitudes (although others seem to have been).

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    If you are going to use the onboard receiver, then look at the FatShark chart and see what you like more. Avoid the Predators like the plague, though.

However, if you are going to wire into a ground station, the buy a set of Vuzix 920 glasses. The video quality is far superior.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

thanks for the input folks, no ground station planned hoping for an easy set up sort of pick up and go type idea, not looking for massive range anything up to 1km would be enough to begin with and as i said its going on a quad so distance will be affected by battery life

Instructor Pilot
    I haven't used the attitudes, but I love my Dominators... clarity, colour and contrast are fantastic. They are also great because of the modular nature - if new improved parts come out (eg like the new Nexwave rx's) then it's simple to upgrade, and you can tailor the goggles to your needs. Basic goggles, 2.4 or 5.8 rx, head tracking, or both.

I will however be first in line to buy a set of Dominator HDs because they will increase the FoV (screen fills more of your vision) and add adjustable IPD. I believe the target for those is this summer.

hmmm cheers zee lots to think about then?? I was drawn to the larger FOV of the attitude's but the module system of the dom's is certainly a plus with being able to upgrade them down the line!!! am I right in saying the attitude's already have the newer vrx's??

Instructor Pilot

Yes they do, and I doubt you'll get an improvement over those as they are pretty top notch already from what they say!

However, it's nice to be able to change between 2.4 and 5.8 without buying a new set of goggles, and I think they even have 1.3 on the way.

It really can be hard to decide... You need a walk in FPV shop where you can try them all out lol.

If I was in the market now personally I would buy the dominator + rx + HT module, then when the Dom HDs come along move the rx and HT to them, keeping the old doms as passenger goggles/spares

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    ...when the Dom HDs come along move the rx and HT to them, keeping the old doms as passenger goggles/spares
    has there been any announcement that the modules will be interchangeable? I know I have 3 sets of fatsharks now, and one of my biggest complaints is I have 3 totally different cables. If the track record is any indication, I wouldn't expect them to be interchangeable.

The idea of changing between video frequencies is nice, but in reality, does it/will it ever happen? Head tracking is on or off there is no need to swap. If you change video frequencies I'm guessing in my case it will be more of a park fly without or long range with base station effort, not a module swap.

Instructor Pilot

Mmm, not sure actually.

Perhaps Greg can confirm his intentions on this front.

My point re the modular nature and HT was not taking it in or out, but that you don't need to pay for it if its not something you want. So you can customise the goggles to exactly your needs - no rx, 2.4 rx, 5.8 rx, HT or no HT etc...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast