FPVLAB

Thread: Vector Graphics - A possible HD link solution???

Vector Graphics - A possible HD link solution???

Came across this article today... I claim to have NO clue if this could be useful, but it SEEMS like it might (IF we can afford it, and IF it doesn't take 5 years like they say). But really, even if it was a cartoony image I think that'd be fine for us... I fly by looking for shapes, shapes that my brain can recognize to have a certain size, then by conceptual (recalling its actual or most likely physical size in our brain) size and the size on the screen guess its distance. I have no depth perception, so this is how I judge distances in real life.

http://www.gizmag.com/vector-video-codec/25481/

Unlike traditional bitmap graphics, which are made up of an array of pixels, vector graphics consist of lines, curves and shapes that are based on geometric formulas. Not only do they take up far less memory than bitmaps, but sections of them can also be enlarged without any loss of resolution. Currently, however, vector graphics aren’t well-suited to photorealistic applications, such as video. That may be about to change, though, as researchers from the UK’s University of Bath have developed a new program that is said to overcome such limitations – the scientists believe that the technology could make pixels obsolete within five years.
    The main problem with vector graphics is that they tend to be made up of sharply-defined areas of solid color, lacking the subtle transitions between those areas that are seen in bitmaps. As a result, the graphics are good for things like posters and animation, but tend to look a little cartoon-like.
    The new codec (a program that encodes or decodes a digital video stream) is reportedly capable of filling in the boundaries between the elements in vector images. No details have been released regarding how the process works. The result, however, is moving vector-based video that is said to be equal in quality to bitmap video.
    “This is a significant breakthrough which will revolutionize the way visual media is produced,” said Prof. Phil Willis, of the university’s Department of Computer Science.
    The codec was developed in partnership with tech firms Root6 Technology, Smoke & Mirrors and Ovation Data Services. Commercial partners are now being sought to develop the technology further.
    Samples of the vector-based video can be seen at the UBath link below.
    Source: University of Bath via PopSci
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Navigator
    That's size constancy. There are about seven different cues for depth perception: http://www.eruptingmind.com/depth-pe...of-perception/

As the flight sims in the 80's and 90's already demonstrated, the amount of information you need to successfully fly and land can be really sparse, but their appearance must be consistent with expectations and provide the information that is needed to interpret the image correctly and consistently. Even if there's hardly any information about the ground texture, for example a boring, flat purple surface with a rectangle on it, just bringing in a couple of other objects which are assumed to be on the ground can complete the illusion.

In computerized video analysis it's usually really difficult to figure out what the objects are that belong together. If you closely look at the image, especially the area around the face of the woman, the lines seem to merge with the background building. Part of me tells me that the woman is of correct size in front of the car, another part causes me to think the woman is a giant. The tree seems to merge with the building behind it, because the drooping lines can be interpreted as foliage hanging down from the tree as well as features from the building behind it.

In this particular implementation right now, there's insufficient coloring of surfaces to set them apart and too many lines are generated that introduce unnecessary detail, even causing misinterpretations of the image. For this to work I think, they'll have to figure out how to make out the objects and just describe them as a set of simpler shapes. The lack of texturing and the removal of shadows (or in these cases also where shadow is incorrectly emphasized through a line) make this scene pretty difficult to interpret in a flash.

^ I knew we had some smart peeps here...

Pilot
    http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/vsv/contour.mov

screams ugly to me. think i'll stick with 480i lol

Quote Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
    http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/vsv/contour.mov

screams ugly to me. think i'll stick with 480i lol
    Wow~! You could save a lot of money on drugs by watching tv that way though!!!!

Pilot
    true that. ill tell you why vector codecs will never work

do people *really* want unlimited zoom ablity in their pr0n?
    #restmycase