Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CSFPV Mission briefing 002 - Formation Flips

The goggles do nothing! chicken sashimi's Avatar

CSFPV Mission briefing 002 - Formation Flips

Mission 002: Formation Flips

Mission reward: The winning team will win 4 ChickenSashimi T-Shirts of their choice (two per pilot), the CSFPV award of excellence and have their videos posted on the CSFPV Contest page for posterity.
    Mission deadline: February 28th 2013

Mission Directives:
    This mission requires that two pilots perform a LOOP, Aileron Roll, LOOP sequence in formation (see Fig.1). Visual contact must be maintained throughout the entire aerobatic sequence. Bonus points will be awarded for formation proximity, synchronicity, camera capture (multiple camera angles is a huge plus), general flight skill and style.

Mission Conditions:
    -Video from the trailing aircraft, where the lead aircraft is in view throughout the whole sequence must be provided.
    -Both aircraft need to execute the full sequence of tricks. (Trailing aircraft is not exempt from aileron roll)
    -Pilots are expected to attempt these missions only under SAFE circumstances. Hot dogging in populated spaces or near high traffic areas will be frowned upon.
    -Truly spectacular failures may garner free consolation prizes, at the discretion of the judges.

Good luck to all pilots!

[Fig.1]
    Last edited by chicken sashimi; 17th December 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Now placing order for wide angle lens!

I am going to borrow Ssassens plane and win this. What can possibly go wrong?

Well, given the dire consequences of failure in my last mission, I figure I would be easy on you guys and create a mission that doesn't perpetually threathen the aircraft being used.
    This mission can be performed 3 or 4 mistakes up and if people are determined enough, multiple attempts can be made within a single sortie.

I know how tough it is to simply find your friend's plane while you're both flying around a field so I know that i'm asking a lot.. but if someone can pull it off, it's going to make for some amazing footage. Team Echelon and Morpheus' crew have both put out some amazing formation flight videos, so it will be interesting to see if they step up to this challenge.

Plus there's over two months available to get out there and make multiple attempts.. so hopefully that gives everyone time to contend with the weather and find a clear weekend to fly.

This sounds like a great mission. Formation flying is high on people's want to see list for FPV. Very difficult though. I just ordered a #16 keychain cam I can use to film from behind. I have two nearly identical FPV strykers, just need to find another capable pilot.
    KK4LYL

Sweet.

Yeah matching aircraft will make this Mission a lot easier. My friend and I have matching zephyrs so I might even take a stab at this one myself. I think this mission is definitely more accessible than the last one, so hopefully combined with the extra amount of time given, we'll see a solid turnout.

Now if only the weather would break once in a while, I could actually burn through a couple of these packs i've got sitting here. :|

Only thing is I think it might make things easier if you have unlimited vertical, or a very powerful setup. Gives me an excuse to upgrade my strykers, just not the cash to do so. The loops seem like they will be the hardest part. I'm looking forwards to the entries for this.
    KK4LYL

Yeah.. to be honest man, I'm kinda done with planes that don't have unlimited vertical.

I'm not a Scale pilot.. I don't buy a warbird and fly it around all lazy like to make it look real.. I love watching them rip around the sky at zany speeds and when i'm in the cockpit, there's nothing I hate more than staring at the sky during a climb, only to have the aircraft flop over because it ran out of gusto.

So I pretty much build everything with unlimited vertical in mind nowdays.

So it's not just a loop rather the full loop for both, both roll and then both loop again with no break in the visual?! I can tell you that's going to be hard.

Any points, errr I mean shirts for the full loop? Me and Randy want to try some formation flying.

Yep.. you got it dave.

Now keep in mind.. no break in visual can be interpreted in various ways. You might think that means you guys both have to be within a couple feet of each other, but really, with the right lens, you could stay within visual even with a couple meters between aircraft. I think the hard part will be performing a straight loop, without wavering one side or the other... then.. doing it again. lol.

Certainly won't be easy... c'mon, i'm not made of t-shirts here.. but i'm willing to put my money where my mouth is to see some amazing footage!

Just like any of my other and most future missions, points could be awarded for valiant efforts. I mean, if i get a dozen submission and the closest one gets a loop, roll and half a loop... I'm not made of stone, that's going to be a pretty epic video already and probably deserving of some kind of reward.

If the trailing pilot has a pan-tilt config and can keep an eyeball on their lead plane throughout the loops, that's fair game too. HD is preferred, but a mission fulfilling video in SD trumps a spectacular failure in HD everytime. haha
    Last edited by chicken sashimi; 19th December 2012 at 03:06 AM.