Thread: Anyone have experience with this 2.5" all-in-one?

Navigator

Anyone have experience with this 2.5" all-in-one?

I've ever done FPV. I have watched all the videos in first time thread in the FAQ section, and I know a tiny bit about wireless already. For my first setup, I really don't want to fly by camera, I just want to use the video to frame shots for a gimbal mounted camera on a quadcopter. This is all amateur level stuff, not pro video shoots. I'm pretty sure this will be a gateway into a dedicated FPV airplane, but that's for later. For now, I'll be flying by sight.

I'm looking for something as simple as possible as far as gear on the ground. That led me to looking at all-in-one monitors with their own batteries. I like the size of this 2.5" all in one especially that I could hand it to someone else quickly. Does anyone here have any experience with it? I'd really like to replace the antenna, but I can't tell if it's removable (I've got an email out to Helipal, I haven't heard back yet). Am I going completely the wrong direction here? The 7" LCDs seem much more common but that feels like a huge thing to hang on the top of my transmitter.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

(I forgot to mention, I working out the monitor first, because that'll inform the rest of the gear choices, but it's likely to be something like a 5.8Ghz 200mW (I'd probably be fine with 100mW but they don't seem to be common anymore) transmitter and some cloverleaf antennas for the tx and the rx side.
    Last edited by krb; 30th December 2013 at 12:46 PM.

I would avoid that all in one unless the antenna can be replaced. Also, people do not strap 7" monitors to their radio, they put them on a tripod.
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Navigator
    Thanks for the reply. I've got an email out to HeliPal asking about the removable-ness of the antenna, what connector it has if it is removable, and the receiver sensitivity. As for the tripod, for my use case, that's even worse. I want to be pretty self contained for this setup and the tripod would be another piece of gear. Although, I realize that if I went with a tripod, pretty much everything else gets easier, I could buy any lcd and strap any receiver with any batter to the back.

The setup I'm trying to build for this first time is something I could just grab and use pretty much anywhere. This is probably a perfect use case for goggles with a built in rx, but I don't like the idea of not being able to see around me.

Headplay Goggles hang in front of your eyes so there is a bit of room around the edges to see. That is always an option.

Edit: Nvm, Headplay does not have built in RX.
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Don't feel like looking for it but RCModelReviews did a review on it. The antenna can be removed and replaced. When I used it it would cause jumping and skipping in the image when there was lots of movement on the camera. I tried multiple cards of different sizes and speeds but the result was always the same. I haven't heard anyone else mention this nor RCMR, but in all fairness Bruce doesn't fly very low

This video was recorded with this DVR and you can see the stuttering pretty clearly:

Navigator
    I'll search his channel, thanks! I don't care about the DVR functionality, I'll be recording on the GoPro directly. I think I'll pull the trigger on this monitor. In the worst case if I don't like it, I've got a friend here who will probably buy it from me for a non-FPV project.

Honestly this thing is too small to use as a monitor. 2.5" is tiny! Especially for the price. You can get a nice 10" or 13" LCD TV for less than that.