Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could start over in FPV what would you do or not do?

What I regret:
    Try to make/modify 2.4 RC for long range.
    (While it did work, the results were just ok.)
    Go cheap on the ground station receivers, antennas and monitor.
    910mhz video setup.
    Trying to stuff too much into an airframe meant to buzz around a park.

What I should have done (and have done since)
    UHF LRS RC link.
    ezOSD (Thanks trappy for suggesting that one)
    Better servos and MUCH better control horns and rods for 'ARF' planes.
    Moved over to a 2.4 video system with better antennas.
    For worry free long range cruising (for my specific needs),
    an FY21AP Return to Home/Launch.
    Larger airframe.

Is this a great hobby or what?
    Last edited by W7MAG; 11th September 2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Typo

I'm considerably new in FPV.
    My current setup is JR 2.4 GHz radio / Spektrum AR7000 receiver
    1.3 Video Rx/Tx from bevrc and Cyclops CE OSD

Should I first invest in a LRS (possibly EZUHF), or FY31AP Autopilot system for RTH function

LRS first. No need for RTH just yet or at all. Make some cp antennas and when your picture starts getting static turn around RTH are only useful if you are looking to break a personal record where one of you control or video might fail because of range. A LRS will always give you better link up near and far and save you a lot more times than a RTH could.

I started out with a homebuild depron trainer and flew it like I stole it. That was over a year and a half ago. I was prepared to crash so I brought cheaper gear. I still use the gear today as so far I haven't trashed all of it. The planes, building my 6th FPV plane. I started on 5.8ghz and pushed that system as much as I could through distance and flying between objects. This helped with what works and won't and will help on my next goal. I now feel I am ready to try 2.4ghz and see how that feels different to 5.8ghz.
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

Thank you very much for the recommendation whakahere, I will get the LRS first and keep my FPV plane as simple as possible.

If you can't afford a LRS, at least get a 72 / 35mHz radio in the interim.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Hi Sentry, actually I can afford a LRS. I'm planning to buy EZUHF in a few days. From what I have read on this forum, LRS is not a luxury, in the contrary it seems to be a "must" that establishes a concrete base for the other FPV equipment. Am I correct?

I'm using 1.3 Video Rx/Tx from Bevrc, both Rx and Tx with the stock 3dBi Rubber Duck Antennas. Should I also buy two of these 431Mhz-438Mhz band pass filters together with EZUHF? (In the picture it shows 2 items but is it the top and bottom view of a single filter?

http://www.bevrc.com/band-pass-filte...ter-p-275.html

Finally, should I get this 8dBi patch antenna for my ground station? I don't have an antenna tracker yet. Will it be dangerous to fly with this patch antenna without a tracker? I will continue to use the 3dBi rubber duck antenna on the Tx.

http://www.bevrc.com/bev-1213ghz-pat...nna-p-117.html

LRS is not a "must" in FPV. The caveat is that when you don't have one you need to be careful about your range and always know how far you are. There have been 5 mile runs on 72mhz - and I consider 5 miles pretty far away for you plane to be from you.

It really depends on how capable your system is, and how far you want to go. LRS or not, you still shoudl keep your planes close unti you get many hours of experience. 8dBi is a pretty good patch - for most frequencies it acts like an omni = so you can fly to the seide of it and behind it for a short distance. I suggest using this on a tripod so you can olearn to manually aim it to maintain a good video link. There are some thing to consider when running 1.2/1.3 with a 433mhz sytem. You may need the filters, you may not - you can check out this thread for more information.

Im lost
    I get no interference from my EZUHF into 1.2G vid. I suggest you try it barebones first.
    seeing the world through a security camera

Quote Originally Posted by roberto View Post
    I get no interference from my EZUHF into 1.2G vid. I suggest you try it barebones first.
    Remem not to just test the the video side. When you do a ground test w/ the vTx on/off is there a difference in number of paces before failsafe?

For most of the time I will be flying within 5 kilometers diameter. I'm not in a pursuit of some kind of a record etc. but just want to feel safe in terms of radio connection to my plane.

I actually have two 72mhz receivers but never used them. The guy who sold me my second hand JR PCM10X radio, gave me these two receivers and module together with the 2.4ghz module and AR7000. Is there any chance of frequency collusion with another person who uses the same 72mhz crystal nearby? Because there are many people at the rc airfield that I don't know who uses which frequency on their Tx.

Please see my equipment below. Which 72mhz receiver is better? NER-649S or NER-549X?
    Can I go 3-4 kilometers far with one of these?

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast