Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could start over in FPV what would you do or not do?

cobwebs have formed on the wings of my ez... I would recommend an AXN floater jet instead. They fly so much more predictably and actually respond to aileron inputs. Flies more like an airplane than a kite

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalinrush View Post
    You can sell an EZ? Even a beat up one? I have mine hanging on my wall in the basement atm, so the flying squirrels don't eat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
    cobwebs have formed on the wings of my ez... I would recommend an AXN floater jet instead. They fly so much more predictably and actually respond to aileron inputs. Flies more like an airplane than a kite
    Big lol to both, haha. Actually, I've been kind of curious lately about this HobbyKing "Bixler"... but then too, getting one of those would just be the radio control plane equivalent of walking in circles. Maybe someday when I decide my EZ is too beat to keep holding onto, but that might never happen if I keep exploring my fascination with wings and deltas and decide to stay there.

Rick NR417

Quote Originally Posted by roberto View Post
    Letīs not forget an FPV newbie might not know how to fly RC.

The EZ* is being beaten a bit unfairly Iīd say. I fly RC for a long time and did get an EZ to start FPVing. I had fun with it even B4 fpv gear was on and even before it had ailerons. ( although the stock rudder is total crap ) In fact ailerons on an EZ* are almost useless IMO.

It got me going in FPV really quick and made good quality videos most of the time...
    Once you start skimming ground, it comes obvious that itīs not the ideal airframe for that... It was in pretty good shape and is a wish item, so I sold it for a wing.

If you are new into the RC hobby and want to learn FPV, I would HIGHLY recommend an EZ* or any clone. If you fly RC well, then maybe a SW or Zeph is a better choice.
    I agree the EZ* is not that bad at all to start with. Ive beat the crap out of mine and rebuilt it before the next day every time. Heck at the FPV fly in I crashed it and broke it up pretty bad on the first flight and had it rebuilt and flying in 3 hrs. I fly only with ailerons...no rudder on the plane so I dont agree that ailerons are useless. On a calm day its excellent....if its windy its a handful.

Its easy to fly, repair and fairly cheap so I would still recommend it for a first FPV plan. It does require a few mods but those are well documented.

Navigator
    Plane: I started with a small airplane (EPPIM) then the AXN then the EZ*. If I would have to start again I would choose directly the EZ* or better the brand new Skywalker (V4)

RC: I started with 2.4Ghz >>> Many crashes due to 1.2Ghz Video. My advice: Go directly on UHF or 72Mhz If you don't want Long Range.

Vid:
    - Always stayed on 1.2Ghz but there are crappy Tx out there so My advice: Buy the fox-800 from inesun or the 1W lawmate (you can see my 1.2Ghz Thread on rcgroups)
    - I am still on 1080Mhz because it was the channel that was less hurting 2.4Ghz RC but it makes huge Antennas (But I won't change my 10 antennas now). My advice: Go on 1280 or close (if you want to fly with friends)
    - Started with stock antennas, then made Vees and Patch (Good stuff but a bit too much directionnal for long range) I have yet to review CP but The antennas are waiting in a box.
    My advice: Make at least a simple tuned Dipole or Vee it is really easy to do and lighter.

OSD: Started with no OSD and then Remzibi and DOSD+ My advice: get at least an osd and even better DOSD for the RTH it saved my plane from total loss at least 2 times.

Ground Station

- started with SLA battery.....too heavy Rather take 3A-6A Lipo + switch and Lipo Alarm (the one that monitors the main voltage)
    - I started with Trimersion googles which were only good after much tweaking, I would rather advise to use a 4/3 8'' screen (800x600) with cardboard tunnel like I do know its cheap and has a better quality

I could go on like this but it's already something to start with.
    Last edited by iacei; 20th July 2011 at 08:13 AM.

Banned
    first fpv should be a heli hahahaha

I still consider myself pretty much an FPV newby but my three biggest sources of aggravation in starting out in FPV have been:

1. Lost rc control using 2.4GHz DX7 causing multiple crashes. Once, I lost RC control less than 2000 ft out causing my plane to fly over a mile away and I wasn't sure exactly what direction it went because I was panicing and jumping around trying to hold my DX7 in different orientations trying to regain control. I spent hours looking for it before the sun went down. I was so disappointed, I was really ready to give it all up and forget FPV. But, I took a vacation day from work the next day and finally found the plane. I had already ordered a LRS so I fixed the plane back up, did a quick LOS flight to make sure it was flying good, and parked it for about a month until I got my LRS.

2. I sure wasted a lot of money and lost a lot of cool video because of cheap poor quality DVR's before I bought good one.

3. I started trying to fly using my daughters 7" DVD player as monitor and it just didn't work, even in a cardboard box to block out lihgt. Then I bought the cheap HK 320x240 goggles and they were flyable if I wore a welders mask over them to block out light. Then I got a good pair of goggles made for FPV with built in 5.8GHz vrx. They work great and it is really nice not being tethered to a ground station.

FPV Revelation: I started flying FPV because I thought it was gonna be really cool to fly out several miles with OSD, RTH, baro, indicated airspeed, diversity, all the bells and whistles, and it is really cool. ... But I fly my cheap and simple FPV SuperFly/Mantis, with 5.8GHz VTX, 5.8GHz VRX built into goggles, with my DX7 a lot more and it is a blast flying obstacle course style around, through, and under things just about anywhere. I just grab my small foam plane/goggles/DX7 and a few batteries and I'm ready for a couple hours of fun with no set-up/tear-down hassles and it's cheap and easy to reapair so I can get as crazy as I want without sweating it too much.

Banned
    my set up is perfect .. im glad Tim at readymaderc and Thomas Scherrer OZ2CPU UHF RC system .. work great .. i got lucky ..

- Take the time to solder the 1.2Ghz tx wires well with heat shrink and everything to make it look pretty. Many times right before launching a plane I would have video loss. Mostly from a lose solder joint.

FPV is the bees knees
    My biggest mistake was cutting corners. I kept it simple from the start, so I did do that right, but don't buy cheap.

You'll read reviews where people get lucky, but now that I've switched over to Lawmate equipment I'd never go back. You might save a couple $, maybe even a couple hundred, but it's not worth it. Buy Once, Buy Right.

And, I'm glad I invested in Fatshark Video Goggles. Flying FPV was fun but a total PITA with Headplay goggles. They were so bulky, fragile, and not worth the hassle.

If I could start over I'd start off with:

-Fatsharks
    -1W Lawmate on 1.2
    -540 OSD Cam
    -Swift 2 or similiar wing

If you cut corners it won't be as fun of an experience and you'll either get out of the hobby or end up having to rebuy. -Tyler

Good list, but, for the extra few pennies, the 600 wdr OSD from sec cam 2000 knocks the socks off the 540. It really is that much better for hardly anymore in price
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking."

- Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast